Author Topic: "Traces" theme (1:1, 4:3, 16:9, and 16:9b variants!)  (Read 17761 times)

Bgoulette

• I wrote a book.
    • View Profile
    • BlakeGoulette.com
"Traces" theme (1:1, 4:3, 16:9, and 16:9b variants!)
« on: December 02, 2015, 09:48:39 AM »
Hello all,

Here's a pretty simple theme, really:

It certainly doesn't break any new ground, but within the layout options are a bunch of thingies that let you tweak color variants to match your cab, room, mood, whatever :)

Here are a few examples:

As you can see from the layout options shot above, you can also tweak the opacity of certain "fade" elements. Currently, when run on a non-square monitor (that is, pretty much all of them!), color-matched bars mask things off on the sides (or presumably top and bottom, though I don't have a horizontal setup to test against).

Thanks to liquid8d and omegaman for helping me get a better grasp of Squirrel and the conveyor module (though there's still a lot to learn!).

Anyway, here it is. Enjoy!

Edit: now includes a 16:9 version! Here are some screens:

Edit 2: I added an alternate 16:9 variant that places the conveyor on the far side of the screen (as opposed to the bottom):

Edit 3: I just realized I forgot to include a module used in this theme! It's attached now (fill-artwork-bg.nut). Just place it in AM's modules folder. (This variant isn't as full-featured as the one liquid8d is developing, but it suffices for a barebones implementation. Also, it's not documented terribly well :()

Edit 4: I've done some more housekeeping and added a couple new options. Under the hood, this code...needs some help, but it's functional! (Still need to get a better handle on composition/inheritance with dynamically-typed languages, etc.!) Also, 16:10 aspect ratio:

Edit 5: Added options for different art for the carousel or background (currently only snap or flyer, but I'll probably add marquee soon):

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 09:22:59 AM by Bgoulette »

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Square theme (horiz/vert variants maybe later?) - "color chooser"
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 10:36:44 AM »
Good Job !  :)

Fresh Idea, I like it.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 10:44:43 AM »
Bump...  :)

Because you deserve it.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 11:00:06 AM »
Awesome job! :) It looks great!
People want life easy..then complain about it

ulihox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 12:02:54 PM »
It looks really good!! It would fantastic a 1920x1080 version.

Bgoulette

• I wrote a book.
    • View Profile
    • BlakeGoulette.com
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 04:55:59 PM »
It looks really good!! It would fantastic a 1920x1080 version.

You're in luck! :) Now you can switch between 1:1 and 16:9 in the layout options. I'll add 4:3 later. I updated the rar file attached in the first post (and added some additional screen shots), so grab it from there and give it a test drive!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:16:22 PM by Bgoulette »

Bgoulette

• I wrote a book.
    • View Profile
    • BlakeGoulette.com
Re: Square theme (1:1, 16:9, and 16:9b variants!) "color chooser"
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 08:07:31 AM »
Updated the attachment to include another 16:9 variant with the thumbnails on the far right versus along the bottom (both are still available within the theme):

Edit: Okay, after this, I'll leave it along until I've done the 4:3 version! :)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:48:14 AM by Bgoulette »

ulihox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 10:50:26 AM »
You're in luck! :) Now you can switch between 1:1 and 16:9 in the layout options. I'll add 4:3 later. I updated the rar file attached in the first post (and added some additional screen shots), so grab it from there and give it a test drive!

Good work!! Thank you!!

Bgoulette

• I wrote a book.
    • View Profile
    • BlakeGoulette.com
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 07:32:32 AM »
I lied about not messing around... :(

...but it's because I realized I left out a file -- a module -- that needs to be placed in the attract mode/modules/ folder. Included in the OP (as well as an updated rar).

Bgoulette

• I wrote a book.
    • View Profile
    • BlakeGoulette.com
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:45:22 AM »
And now there's a 4:3 version! That should wrap it up for now. Unless I delve into vertical versions at some later date, though it might be better to have two versions. Anyway, link in OP has been updated!

kent79

• View Profile
Re: "Traces" theme (1:1, 4:3, 16:9, and 16:9b variants!)
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 04:27:19 PM »
Great Job, I try it, but not working. The video snap can't show. Please fix it. Thanks. 

Bgoulette

• I wrote a book.
    • View Profile
    • BlakeGoulette.com
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 04:53:25 PM »
Glad you like the look of it. Sorry it's not working. If you haven't already, be sure to copy the "fill-artwork-bg.nut" file from the archive into your attract mode modules folder.

The videos are just in the snap folder: assuming you've created your own or downloaded them from emu movies, just copy the relevant videos into the snap folder for a particular rom and they should show up. For example, I'd get the file "galaga.mp4" from emu movies and copy it into my mame/snap/galaga folder. Then it should show up just fine. Of course, if you've specified a different snap path in attract mode, you'd put the videos in that folder! Hope that helps! :-)

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 07:33:09 PM »
this is what i needed for my cab,,thank you sir!    great job
help a friend....

kent79

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 08:32:19 PM »
Glad you like the look of it. Sorry it's not working. If you haven't already, be sure to copy the "fill-artwork-bg.nut" file from the archive into your attract mode modules folder.

The videos are just in the snap folder: assuming you've created your own or downloaded them from emu movies, just copy the relevant videos into the snap folder for a particular rom and they should show up. For example, I'd get the file "galaga.mp4" from emu movies and copy it into my mame/snap/galaga folder. Then it should show up just fine. Of course, if you've specified a different snap path in attract mode, you'd put the videos in that folder! Hope that helps! :-)

I don't know why it can't show the snap at bottom area.   :-[

Bgoulette

• I wrote a book.
    • View Profile
    • BlakeGoulette.com
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 09:01:43 PM »
Do you have only video snaps in there? I turned off the video portion in the conveyor because it was annoying to me :) That said, I can change it, or if you're handy with a text editor, you can change it. Just look for this line in the layout.nut:

Code: [Select]
// Create snap (image only) to go behind everything
local snap_bg=FillArtwork("snap", w_offset, h_offset, max_width, max_height, ::fe, Vid.ImagesOnly|Vid.NoAudio);

and change Vid.ImagesOnly|Vid.NoAudio to Vid.Default. Then, in the art_strip_classes.nut, look for this:

Code: [Select]
base.constructor(FillArtwork(artname, 0, 0, THUMB_WIDTH, THUMB_HEIGHT, ::fe, Vid.ImagesOnly));

and change Vid.ImagesOnly to either Vid.Default or, if you don't want everything playing at once, to Vid.NoAudio, and that should get things working. I'll update the layout with a new option, but for now, that should get you going. Let me know if it works! (or not!)