Author Topic: odd micro pause when switching between certain games (SNES layout)  (Read 1674 times)

teufelskrapfen

• View Profile
I came across a very specific issue that I can only reproduce with my SNES layout.

When I switch from a specific game to another, I get a micro stutter/pause every time. This does not happen with every game, just some...

For example
The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse -> Mario Paint … and the other way around

Here's the weird thing:
- When I remove both games from the romlist, the issue will transfer to another game that is close to the two games in my library … i.e. Lufia ii … so now I get the micro pause / stutter when I switch from Lufia ii to another game, which didn't show the behavior before.

Another example would be Megaman & Bass -> Mega Man X3 … but this time, the other way around would not trigger the issue.

And I also tested different layouts for SNES as well as removing all the artwork temporarily for the mentioned games but it wouldn't make a difference. I didn't encounter the problem with any other system (like NES, Gameboy etc.) and those use the same layout as the SNES.

I'm aware this is a nit picky problem :D but I'm the kind of person who can go crazy over little things like this... so any help is highly appreciated!

teufelskrapfen

• View Profile
Re: odd micro pause when switching between certain games (SNES layout)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 12:16:25 AM »
OK i found the issue ... it was related to the wheel media after all...

When I systematically removed some of the wheel media, i found that the issue was resolved.

Upon closer inspection I found that some of the media had a way higher resolution than other files in the same folder (4000x3000 instead of 300x200). I was only looking at the file size and not the resolution and didn't take into account that it would cause such a behavior.

Sorry, i think my topic can be removed.

Favdeacon

• View Profile
Re: odd micro pause when switching between certain games (SNES layout)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 02:06:35 AM »
Hey, 4000x3000 is a totally reasonable resolution for wheel art!  ;D

Seriously, thanks for sharing your solution.