Author Topic: Linux segfault on launch of attractmode  (Read 2549 times)

akafox

• View Profile
Linux segfault on launch of attractmode
« on: March 31, 2021, 08:33:41 AM »
Okay...give me some hints if you can here...

I just compiled attract mode on a new install of ubuntu mate 20.04. Source came from github, No errors that i can see on compile.

According to apt all dependencies are installed and up to date (which is why I could finish compiling..but just for completeness sake...)

when starting AM with ./atrract (from the source folder) and after a make install I get:

Attract-Mode v2.6.1 (Linux, SFML 2.5.1 +FontConfig +SWF +7z)
avcodec 58.54.100 / avformat 58.29.100 / swscale 5.5.100 / avutil 56.31.100 / swresample 3.5.100

Config file not found: /home/user/.attract/attract.cfg
 - Constructed 1 filters in 0 ms (1 comparisons)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
iuser@user-PC:/home/user/attract$

Normally on first start if will ask for language make the needed folders have be pick a language and i am off and going...but it makes nothing.

Confused...any help or ideas would be great. :D
People want life easy..then complain about it

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Linux segfault on launch of attractmode
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 08:35:04 PM »
I remember seeing another post a little while back with a similar issue on some flavor of linux. I believe they manually created or copied the attract.cfg from another system and it solved their issue.

Another thing to consider is file permissions. Have you tried as root or using "sudo"?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 10:19:56 PM »
Here's the post I think I remember. http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=3614.msg24987#msg24987

Maybe you'll have a font path issue after creating the attract.cfg?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 10:24:55 PM by progets »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 06:22:54 AM »
well truth be told I had to reinstall my entire hard drive...so I took another try. No open chicken coop again...this time I get:

Attract-Mode v2.6.1 (Linux, SFML 2.5.1 +FontConfig +SWF +7z)
avcodec 58.54.100 / avformat 58.29.100 / swscale 5.5.100 / avutil 56.31.100 / swresample 3.5.100

Config: /home/user/.attract/attract.cfg
 - Constructed 1 filters in 0 ms (1 comparisons)
Failed to get output info for.primary monitor position <- at least an error this time!
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

However...I solved the problem...instead of using the github repository I just downloaded the tarball from the downloads page compiled it like normal and everything worked! *shrugs* heck if I know..

I do find it odd though...maybe I can do a log file or something and pinpoint the problem? I would hate for a new update to come out and it fail like this...
in the post you mentioned at least they got and "can't find font" error. I was getting nothing the first time around..then the screen error message the second time.
So what is the difference between the tarball and the current github?, I guess is my question....

at least I got this chicken coop open..heh...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 10:57:19 AM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it