Author Topic: Attract Mode Platform Categories (arcades, consoles, etc) finally figured out!  (Read 42388 times)

bundangdon

• View Profile
Sorry have not been watching this in a while. I've not heard of that issue. Could either be doubles if you have say snk on arcade and snk of consoles could see that happening. Are you using PC or pi? Mickleson has recently implemented this in a nightly build where you can turn off plug in and will return to previous menu you were just in. Works wonderfully.

Just wondering, where can this nightly build be found? Everytime I check the nightly downloads page it comes up with a blank "error" website. And does this mean that the plugin is no longer necessary if we want to go back to the previous page/system?

BadFurDay

• View Profile
The long behold question of Attract Mode Platform Categories has been solved! I have been racking my brain for months and after trolling the source line by line I finally found a lead and was a success.

I am experiencing undesired behavior or even bug with plugin.
When i enter submenu look arround what ever, and i return back to main menu it puts me in very wrong place. Instead of returning to original submenu starter point it jumps couple spots down depending how many i had in submenu

Any way to fix that?

Do you have github maybe?

P.S i see that u mentioned a "fix" on first page but i am not seeing any of those files

meh :(  cant use it as it is, returning to menu jumps up to 10 spots away from place where i was..

This sounds like it might be the old error with Attract Mode taking into account the hidden displays. If you have hidden displays this can cause things to skip spots. Try updating Attract Mode to the latest version, see if that fixes it.

SomeoneElse

• View Profile
The long behold question of Attract Mode Platform Categories has been solved! I have been racking my brain for months and after trolling the source line by line I finally found a lead and was a success.

I am experiencing undesired behavior or even bug with plugin.
When i enter submenu look arround what ever, and i return back to main menu it puts me in very wrong place. Instead of returning to original submenu starter point it jumps couple spots down depending how many i had in submenu

Any way to fix that?

Do you have github maybe?

P.S i see that u mentioned a "fix" on first page but i am not seeing any of those files

meh :(  cant use it as it is, returning to menu jumps up to 10 spots away from place where i was..

This sounds like it might be the old error with Attract Mode taking into account the hidden displays. If you have hidden displays this can cause things to skip spots. Try updating Attract Mode to the latest version, see if that fixes it.

yeah , thats what is happening. I have few empty systems.unfortunately i am on 2.2.1.0 so nothing to update unless i update from guthub.I cleaned up systems, but i still have few i havent added roms yet WIP. its kinda bothering me.

Btw love the script tho. I made even additional in depth lines like collection->sports>list sports by type: baseball ,football..etc then list games.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:44:02 AM by SomeoneElse »

bundangdon

• View Profile
Sorry have not been watching this in a while. I've not heard of that issue. Could either be doubles if you have say snk on arcade and snk of consoles could see that happening. Are you using PC or pi? Mickleson has recently implemented this in a nightly build where you can turn off plug in and will return to previous menu you were just in. Works wonderfully.

Just wondering, where can this nightly build be found? Everytime I check the nightly downloads page it comes up with a blank "error" website. And does this mean that the plugin is no longer necessary if we want to go back to the previous page/system?

Never mind! I found the answer to my question :) The latest version 2.30 which was released a few days ago now allows you to return to the previous menu/system without having to use the aforementioned plugin. Woohoo!

gs00000009

• View Profile
The long behold question of Attract Mode Platform Categories has been solved! I have been racking my brain for months and after trolling the source line by line I finally found a lead and was a success. Only thing, which I don't believe will be a hard task for some of you very experienced themes is some sort of transition call back to previous menu. This is a huge leap in the right direction. Enjoy friends!

UPDATE***** Plug in created! Fully functional for all PC, PI, etc!
https://mega.nz/#F!v55CDDKQ!wXlmnT3LWCpxs024b_ADnA
Video tutorials thanks to Hector Arias
https://youtu.be/M2F3lEQxVRw

Link's dead...

saraguato

• View Profile
After serveral days looking for a solution, I have to say that it was impossible for me to do that.

How can I add a submenu of the displays menu?
This plugin seems the easiest method, but the link is broken.

I would like to add some submenus based on filters , something like that:
   Main menu: displays
   Sub menus: Platform/puzzle/.. (filters)
   Final menu: Games

I thought it had to be easy... please some help!

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
After serveral days looking for a solution, I have to say that it was impossible for me to do that.

This plugin isn't needed. This feature has been builtin to AttractMode for a while. https://github.com/mickelson/attract/commit/b71b0e48c478a115a9648968701b6191f831e23e

I recommend starting a new thread if you need help.

rand0m

• View Profile

The way I have done it is:

1- Platform Menu/ Display: Platforms like arcades/ computers/ consoles etc
2- Systems menu: In consoles Sega saturn/ dreamcast/ nintendo 64 etc
3- System menu: Games organized on Genre Filters like action/ adventure/ horror etc

Now above mentioned organization scheme is easily achievable without much tweaking as everything you need is already available in AM. I've described the process in detail here> http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=2449.msg16709#msg16709 (#3 post).

The organization scheme you are trying for can work easily without platform menu because you are looking for Systems> System (Filter: Genre)> Games (as opposed to Platforms> Systems> System (Filter: Genre)> Games). That is what I understood from your post but if you mean you need a unified or mega list of genres like a action/ adventure encompassing every system then you will need to develop new romlists (this too is easily achievable from with AM.

For organizing games in genre, I am using the following in attract.cfg

display   Microsoft MSX (blueMSX-Retroarch)
   layout               RetroMode
   romlist              Microsoft MSX (blueMSX-Retroarch)
   in_cycle             yes
   in_menu              no
   filter               ALL
      sort_by              Title
   filter               ACTION
      rule                 Category equals Action
   filter               ADVENTURE
      rule                 Category equals Adventure
   filter               "BEAT 'EM UP"
      rule                 Category equals Beat 'Em Up
   filter               FIGHTING
      rule                 Category equals Fighting
   filter               HORROR
      rule                 Category equals Horror
   filter               PLATFORM
      rule                 Category equals Platform
   filter               PUZZLE
      rule                 Category equals Puzzle
   filter               RACING
      rule                 Category equals Racing
   filter               RPG
      rule                 Category equals RPG
   filter               SHOOTER
      rule                 Category equals Shooter
   filter               SPORTS
      rule                 Category equals Sports
   filter               STRATEGY
      rule                 Category equals Strategy

Just make sure:
1- Controller mapping allows from moving from one genre to next
2- Genres are properly listed in romlist. This might warrant manually making the changes, as you want uniformity across the lists.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:48:08 PM by rand0m »

saraguato

• View Profile
Thanks progres and rand0m for your answers, really!

Yes random, it is what I am looking for, I dont want an unified or mega list of genres.
It was easy to do with your explanation, thanks again!  :) :)

jclampy69

• View Profile
The long behold question of Attract Mode Platform Categories has been solved! I have been racking my brain for months and after trolling the source line by line I finally found a lead and was a success. Only thing, which I don't believe will be a hard task for some of you very experienced themes is some sort of transition call back to previous menu. This is a huge leap in the right direction. Enjoy friends!

Hi, any chance of a new download link please?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Hi, any chance of a new download link please?

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1804.msg18695#msg18695