Author Topic: Cant launch Retropie options in AM (RPi 3 plus +Retropie 4.4.2 + AM 2.4.1)  (Read 4862 times)

saitoh00

• View Profile
I need help with this, i have Rpi3+ with the last update of Retropie 4.4.2 and the last update of attract mode 2.4.1, it working with all options, but i cant launch the options under retropie menu, i have the same configuration by defect and the same configuration works under retropie based in jessie, any can help with this?

I need launch the configuration options from AM (wifi, sound, retropie-setup) and in this moment, only i can from emulationstation.

Thanks

Favdeacon

• View Profile
Re: Cant launch Retropie options in AM (RPi 3 plus +Retropie 4.4.2 + AM 2.4.1)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 12:50:55 AM »
How do you try to start it exactly?

I don't have any experience to start the Retropie setup from within AM, but the console command to start the setup is
Code: [Select]
sudo ~/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_setup.sh

tonberryhunter

• View Profile
I'm having the same problem.  Cant load any of the retropie setup items from within Attract Mode like I used to.  I get the vibe that Attract Mode development has come to a halt for Retropie. 

Here is the error I get when I try to load any of the items on the Retropie Setup menu from within Attract Mode.

*** Running: sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch "/home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/rpsetup.rp" </dev/tty >/dev/tty
Parameter word expansion failed. [/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch "/home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/rpsetup.rp" </dev/tty >/dev/tty].
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 07:35:36 PM by tonberryhunter »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Read the Pi F.A.Q http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1249.msg9046#msg9046. If the information is out-of-date, let us know so it can be updated.

Try this (and other video modes since there have been recent changes to this part of AM)
5. Some emulators like Daphne and Advance MAME run behind AM (a.k.a. in the background), my RetroPie runcommand dialog doesn't show in AM, or my RetroPie Setup Menu doesn't work properly in AM. Configure-->General-->Window Mode = FullScreen Mode

Here's info on configuration menu options (@tonberryhunter why do I see "</dev/tty >/dev/tty" in you post? It looks like screen redirecting could be part of your issue)
9. How can I add menus to switch booting from Attract-Mode to EmulationStation and vice versa? How can I run RetroPie Setup options from Attract-Mode? This post has a script to setup it up http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1311.msg9542#msg9542

If you want to manually create a menu for the RetroPie Setup options in Attract-Mode see this post http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=869.msg6679#msg6679 . (Make sure you set Configure-->General-->Window Mode = FullScreen Mode)

tonberryhunter

• View Profile
Yeah that used to fix issues with Retropie setup not loading from Attract Mode.  This issue has nothing to do with the screen settings of Attract Mode.  I tried that first before coming here.  I normally dont update Retropie because it always seems to break Attract Mode but I figured why the hell not and then well here we go.

tonberryhunter

• View Profile
The plot thickens.  I just recompiled my other attract mode install that was working fine (aside from the broken scraper) and that indeed broke the Retropie menu in Attract Mode.  So the issue isnt on Retropies end its a fault of the latest Attract Mode build.   

This is the exact emulator setup I had for Retropie Setup that was working before I complied Attract mode just now.  Note that everything else functions as it should this includes all my emulators.  This file was last edited in April 2018 it has not been touched since. 

# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.2.1
#
executable sudo
args                 /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch "[romfilename]" </dev/tty >/dev/tty
rompath /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu
romext .rp;.sh
system RetroPie
artwork    flyer           /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/flyer
artwork    marquee         /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/marquee
artwork    snap            /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons
artwork    wheel           /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/wheel
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:25:40 PM by tonberryhunter »

tonberryhunter

• View Profile
Thanks progets Removing the screen redirection fixed it but why was this not an issue in an earlier version of Attract Mode I was running?  I believe I had that in there for a portable build I'm working on but it was never an issue for my non portable builds til the latest version of Attract Mode.  As I said I ran a quick test with this older install and only after compiling did it break this function.   
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:37:30 PM by tonberryhunter »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
@tonberryhunter - I'm glad you got this figured out.

- the error you posted listed the display redirect as being an issue
- I never use the RetroPie menu to install Attract-Mode, it's problematic. I (and others) find it better to manually install AM on top of RP.
- I have seen this issue a long time ago (that's how I easily identified it) so I think this has been an issue for a while when trying to hide console output
- you can look at some old posts that are linked in the Pi F.A.Q. where I talk about making the RP menus work in AM and you'll see I remove the tty redirects
- RP and AM are both great projects, free and and move at their own pace. They are not co-projects so don't expect for them to be tested and work flawlessly together. (another reason I like prefer a manual AM install)

At the end of the day, I don't like for the RP menus to be exposed in AM because it could lead to others making unwanted changes. I modify everything I want in the RP menu and then enable tty redirects to hide console output and also remove the menu from being displayed in AM. You could also hide the menu in AM and only run ES (EmulationStation) when you want to make changes, again since these are different projects by different groups they don't work the same and are not always 100% interchangeable. If you're smart you can easily reap each project's benefits with creative workarounds when/if needed.