Author Topic: Verticools Deluxe  (Read 10764 times)

cools

• Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Otaku
Re: Verticools Deluxe
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2020, 12:52:57 PM »
Thanks! Yeah there's been lot of time invested that probably isn't obvious even from the code. It's intentionally simple and "feature"less because I personally never use anything more on my cabinets.

The gradient text I'm really pleased with, its an essential look of the games I've tried to channel. I stopped a little short, the effect doesn't work on multiline text, but I think that could be achieved adding in another uniform to control the repeat rate.

Thank you for the wheel code too. Took a lot of bending into the shape I wanted but without it I'd never have started!

Yaron2019

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 08:06:03 AM »

Thank you for the wheel code too. Took a lot of bending into the shape I wanted but without it I'd never have started!

My pleasure.

cools

• Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 02:17:58 PM »
Retrofitted the original Verticools list as an option for use without any wheel artwork.

And added multi-line text shading, reducing overall shader count by quite a few.

cools

• Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 03:12:08 AM »
Yeah mipmapping the wheel images doesn't look great on a 25" CRT. Disabled.

cools

• Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 01:29:47 PM »
I've been working on some better background shaders and having 2 variants of the theme (for square / non-square pixels) has been driving me mad, as well as seeing just how badly fonts were being displayed on a 1080p screen.

So I ripped out all the layout sizing and assumption making hacks, and added pixel aspect ratio calculation based on your chosen display aspect ratio. Works with a rotated desktop as well as however you fancy rotating AM.

Yaron2019

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2020, 12:44:26 AM »
You did an amazing work on this theme. There is no comparison to the older version.
This is one of the few I keep in my layouts folder that was not created by me.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 12:46:04 AM by Yaron2019 »

Yaron2019

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2020, 09:21:09 AM »
There is an oddity with the snap videos.
I see that you perform a calculation with regards to the screen x,y,w,h in line 297:

Code: [Select]
  local bg=background.add_artwork("snap",0-(flw*0.1),0-(flh*0.1),flw*1.2,flh*1.2);
This cuts the video at the edges (see attached screenshot).

Re-coding it to this shows the video in full (of course):
Code: [Select]
  local bg=background.add_artwork("snap",0,0,flw,flh);
The question is - is this a bug or is it by design?

I am running AM 2.6.1 on a Win10 PC with a 16x9 1920x1080 display.

cools

• Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 04:05:12 AM »
It's by design because the video is being used as background art. Most games have the score/lives text surrounding the screen, if those are displayed underneath the text that is on the layout it makes the screen very busy and hard to read. I did try using unstretched video with a darker gradient mask but that didn't work as well. The background is to add motion and colour rather than clearly display the game. I experimented a lot with even bigger zooming/rotating/panning but settled on the simple 20% zoom - some games look amazing with more stuff going on and others look awful, especially on a low resolution screen, this was the best compromise.

I don't use in-game artwork (snaps, videos, titles, flyers) at all on my own cabinets, just the wheel logo. I found the more I see of the game in the frontend the less likely I am to think "I wonder if this is any good"!

Yaron2019

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 01:18:03 AM »
With the permission of cools, I am posting a small mod of his theme 'Verticools Deluxe'.
'Veticools Deluxe' is ideal for CRT based arcade cabinets and since I like it but do not have one I modded it to better suit a non-CRT based setup, either PC or Arcade cabinet.

The mod includes:
- added CRT optional effects: Bloom shader, CRT shader and scanlines for video snaps
- added optional sounds to the wheel navigation
- added a default arcade font
- changed the default layout options

Download:
https://mega.nz/file/NAVWjaKb#gC3_j6Y_YCUnEAjr8ZXiirYJ3S-10mVpRc6oF2Whvvw
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 01:09:08 AM by Yaron2019 »

jclampy69

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2020, 07:16:30 AM »
With the permission of cools, I am posting a small mod of his theme 'Verticools Deluxe'.
'Veticools Deluxe' is ideal for CRT based arcade cabinets and since I like it but do not have one I modded it to better suit a non-CRT based setup, either PC or Arcade cabinet.

The mod includes:
- added CRT optional effects: Bloom shader, CRT shader and scanlines for video snaps
- added optional sounds to the wheel navigation
- added a default arcade font
- changed the default layout options

Download:
https://mega.nz/file/hNUUCCab#DvGac0ie-uBvF65wfDU6Q3oJmmRGiZErsuaPhyNNCds
Hi, just noticed the link is dead, can you reupload it please? Thanks.

Yaron2019

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2020, 01:10:36 AM »
fixed.