Author Topic: Metadata for non-MAME romlists?  (Read 7409 times)

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Metadata for non-MAME romlists?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 08:24:16 PM »
Run the attract-console.exe and generate the romlist and then alt+tab to look at the console and see (or post) what it shows.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2020, 09:17:04 AM »
system               Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)

try this instead
Code: [Select]
system               Nintendo Entertainment System
People want life easy..then complain about it

placebo_yue

• sup
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2020, 10:33:33 AM »
That worked! and somehow the genesis romlist is also grabbing metadata now!
Some titles are still missing it but i guess it's because of the filename being different from how it's named in the database, but i can work with this, i can change the badly named roms

Finally!

placebo_yue

• sup
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2020, 11:54:18 AM »
It's very hit and miss. It scrapes "Sony Playstation 2" but not "Sony Playstation"
I found absolutely no way to scrape gameboy, gameboy color and gameboy advance either.
It did work for genesis, SNES and the mentioned PS2.
Where can i double and triple check the right spelling? because currently im taking it from the platforms menu but that led me to make the mistake with NES where i left the "(NES)" as it was written in that page

EDIT: i tried creating a romlist with multiple emulators ("ALL GAMES" sorta list) and the metadata i did manage to get before (NES, Genesis, etc) does not show up in this list. Apparently it only gets MAME metadata. But there's no place to select the included platforms or the source of the data! i figured it would simply import the data from the original lists and merge it, that's why i was trying to get the data of each emulator in the first place... but no! it creates a brand new list without any metadata.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 01:31:55 PM by placebo_yue »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2020, 09:18:07 PM »
the all list just generates a new list of ALL the games (as you said). I really am not sure why it is grabbing some systems and not others.

But I was able to scrape the few test games (GBA GB, ect.) with out a problem...remember you must have your system spelled exactly as it is here https://thegamesdb.net/list_platforms.php

Although I will mention that I was able to scrape with Nintendo Entertainment System and Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). I do not understand why you had to remove yours, but at least it worked! :)

You might just have to try various ways of naming the system(s) but that page should get you started at least.

People want life easy..then complain about it

placebo_yue

• sup
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 10:39:28 PM »
that's where i'm getting the names! i also tried a LOT of different ways just in case, nothing works. I don't understand what's wrong. Maybe there's some other setting i have badly set up? i thought only the platform name mattered

placebo_yue

• sup
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2020, 12:25:01 AM »
apparently there's some issue with my computer, i can't even generate romlists at all now, or modify the ones i have (like deleting an entry manually). Everything goes back to the way it was when i switch back and forth between screens. All my folders have a read only square that i can't get rid of. I don't know when or why this happened but i suppose it has something to do.

From what i've seen in the console, the connection with the database is successful, but since it can't write any files, it's all lost that very second.
Since this problem is not related to AM, unless someone has any ideas on why this could be happening, i'll go deal with this on my own.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2020, 09:07:19 PM »

EDIT: i tried creating a romlist with multiple emulators ("ALL GAMES" sorta list) and the metadata i did manage to get before (NES, Genesis, etc) does not show up in this list. Apparently it only gets MAME metadata. But there's no place to select the included platforms or the source of the data! i figured it would simply import the data from the original lists and merge it, that's why i was trying to get the data of each emulator in the first place... but no! it creates a brand new list without any metadata.

Any ideas?

Get all your system romlists working properly with the metadata and then create your combined lists inside AM and it will have the metadata.

Configure-->Emulators-->Generate Collection/Rom List-->Set all of your game emulators to “Yes” and then click “Generate Collection/Rom List” and enter the name “All Games”

placebo_yue

• sup
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2020, 09:16:03 PM »

Any ideas?

Get all your system romlists working properly with the metadata and then create your combined lists inside AM and it will have the metadata.

Configure-->Emulators-->Generate Collection/Rom List-->Set all of your game emulators to “Yes” and then click “Generate Collection/Rom List” and enter the name “All Games”

yeah i got it working! i was having this issue where the antivirus blocked my creation of new romlists so everything i was seeing and getting made no sense. Now my "all games" list has the correct metadata for a good portion of my games (there's a bunch of gameboy games that didn't get the metadata because of the rom filenames but i'll fix that manually so it grabs the metadata next time.

Something that some guy mentioned in another thread, thegamesdb likes "name of the rom (USA)" but not "name of the rom(U) [!]" kinda filenames. I didn't know and it's important information

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2020, 09:22:32 PM »
There are free tools that will rename your roms properly. The naming styles are different for different kinds of rom sets. The no-intro roms sets are the most popular and the names that are most often used. You want to get your rom names right from the beginning because all your artwork files will be matched to their names.

placebo_yue

• sup
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2020, 09:26:06 PM »
There are free tools that will rename your roms properly. The naming styles are different for different kinds of rom sets. The no-intro roms sets are the most popular and the names that are most often used. You want to get your rom names right from the beginning because all your artwork files will be matched to their names.

yeah if i only knew about the metadata stuff earlier i would've done right from the start. Thankfully i only have the games i care about, so there's not 390 roms to rename, more like 45. It's doable.
What about those tools? any to suggest? even if it's doable by hand, i wouldn't mind having some tool to simplify it

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2020, 09:35:47 PM »
It's been years since I've used any of them so I don't recall any of their names. Do a google search or create another thread on the forum asking others what they recommend.