Author Topic: Neo-Geo Roms set to console  (Read 12178 times)

xbs

• View Profile
Neo-Geo Roms set to console
« on: August 12, 2016, 09:18:54 AM »
Anyone know if it's possible to set all neo-geo roms to Console in universe bios?
Or does this have to be done individually (rom by rom)?

TIA
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:24:48 AM by xbs »

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Neo-Geo Roms set to console
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 08:00:32 AM »
Actually yes you can. The games are essentially the same MVS or AES however some AES versions have modes the the MVS doesn't.. I have a tutorail on that actually..

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=329.0
if you want to do AES emulation for neo-geo you might want to use MESS to do that..easier to set up..that is how I have mine set-up.

also in case you need it here is a script..
http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=132.msg575#msg575 (next to the last reply)

(moderator move this to the emulators section please)
People want life easy..then complain about it

xbs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 09:41:49 AM »
Sorry for posting on general...

I have mame running the games I need beautifully only thing I need is to set all games to AES. Now I can do this individually but I would prefer a way to change all of them to AES automatically. Please bear with me as I couldn't find the way to do so in your tutorial.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 02:17:36 PM by xbs »

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 06:56:03 PM »
Sorry for posting on general...

I have mame running the games I need beautifully only thing I need is to set all games to AES. Now I can do this individually but I would prefer a way to change all of them to AES automatically. Please bear with me as I couldn't find the way to do so in your tutorial.

I don't think you can unless you run aes bios.?

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 07:01:43 PM »
also in case you need it here is a script..
http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=132.msg575#msg575

I created mame software parser (see sig) that can do the same thing but can be run on any platform that can run ruby such as mac Linux and windows.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 08:56:30 PM »
ok so I'm a little mad..I answered you 12 hours ago..not sure where my post is..  >:(  :'(

I missed the part of the uni-bios..yes you would have to set it one by one. However I understand what you are tying to do. I have done the same thing...but I explained how to do it..but because of my missing post..well I'll give you my set up and tell you how to do it because I don't want to type it all out again..if you want I can explain it better in detail tomorrow.

I do want to know though do you just have to use the uni-bios? If so you can create a neogeo.ini and have all noegeo games use the uni-bios by default..it takes two minutes.

1. create a mame.ini by typing mame -cc if you haven't already done so
2. open the mame.ini in a plain text editor (notepad)
3. press ctrl+F to search..search for bios
4. next to that type uni-bios_3_2
5. Save it as neogeo.ini
6. run a neogeo game to test
You'll still have to set the unibios settings to console for each game though..not sure how they are stored yet..but that cuts down on time and work.

If however you don't care to use the universal bios you can use my config and romlist
1. take the configuation and put it into your attractmode emulators folder
2. take the romlist (aes.txt) and put it in your attractmode romlists folder
3.start attract mode and edit the aes configuration to your paths (executable, artwork) it will be very obvious. Do not change any other settings! And do not generate a list!
4. back out to the attract modelist screen..navigate to the aes list...test a game

You will need the aes bios..(EDIT: newer mame versions use the neogeo bios for AES now.) I will not give you that of course..but if you have a newer mame rom set then you should have it. Remember mame and mess have merged..thus you are using mess to run the aes games.

Let me know if that works or what it is you want to set up...like I said if you want the benefits if the uni-bios..you'll have to set them up one by one..no way around that.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:16:28 AM by akafox »

xbs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 01:33:59 AM »
I'm using uni-bios for all neo-geo roms (neogeo.c) that I just selected in mameplus settings options (think that does the same things as editing the neogeo.ini).

I really want to keep using uni-bios so I guess I'll change all games one by one :/.

Thanks guys.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 11:14:28 AM »
....(think that does the same things as editing the neogeo.ini).
Thanks guys.

well it does yes. I am not sure how the uni-bios itself holds the information changes....however if you create a neogeo.ini and then set the bios you won't have to set the bios for each game by hand...you will just have to change the MVS/AES settings for each game by hand.

IMHO Honestly it would be easier to just use the AES part of MESS.
Code: [Select]
mame aes gamename (ex. gamename is kof94)

If you could save the "cheats" that you enable in the uni-bios as  permanent..that is to say "red blood" on a US console version then I would understand...but it doesn't work that way.

oh and I have to edit the above post..the neogeo bios is used now for the aes...you don't need an aes bios

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 11:27:28 AM »
I don't think you can unless you run aes bios.?

You can if you use the uni-bios. It allows you to change from console mode to arcade or visa versa. It also allows you to enable features that may not be present in your counties region. Examples are red blood in a US version because of censorship...there are few cheats that can be enabled.

Here is more information..although a bit old..

http://dammit.typepad.com/blog/2011/03/setting-the-neogeo-bios-in-mame.html

I created mame software parser (see sig) that can do the same thing but can be run on any platform that can run ruby such as mac Linux and windows.

Awesome! Thank you :)

xbs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 11:42:44 PM »
I didn't had to set unibios for each game.
Choosing uni-bios in mameplus settings created the neogeo.ini used in every neo-geo game.

You can activate "red blood", e.g. in metal slug series, using the dipswitches menu (F2 key in mame) and it will stick.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:10:45 AM by xbs »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 10:04:27 AM »
Choosing uni-bios in mameplus settings created the neogeo.ini used in every neo-geo game.

Yeah it did what I had said to do...it just did the same thing behind the scenes.

You can activate "red blood", e.g. in metal slug series, using the dipswitches menu (F2 key in mame) and it will stick.

Oh the machine set up..not mame's dips witches. Huh..never looked into that..so basically it uses the AES console cartridge on a MVS arcade board. (it switches the pins.)

Glad you figured it out though :)

Remember kids don't throw away old computers that is bad for the environment. Recycle them..make a mame machine!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:41:53 AM by akafox »

xbs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 10:59:50 AM »
For reference, the correct menu name is "Service" and can be found in mame's (0.139) "Config Menu" or accessed through the default key "F2".
The blood setting is in > Setting up the soft dip.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:12:21 AM by xbs »

nevincho

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 09:57:37 AM »
I have a problem.

I`m using GroovyArcade - GroovyMame 0.147u3 + AM 2.1.0

After change Bios version in game with TAB-Bios chage - unibios3.0 or 3.1 after exit game mame wont save changes. How to save to use only unibios driver?

xbs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 10:52:45 AM »
Are you exiting emulator using it's own exit key or exiting via AM?

nevincho

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 12:53:42 PM »
Esc button. After exit game bios setings reset.

This problem is only in GroovyArcade-Groovymame.

I try Win7 and Win Xp - after exit game bios keep settings.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 07:41:51 AM by nevincho »