Author Topic: MAME not working in attract mode but do with emulationstation  (Read 7671 times)

Guy

• View Profile
Hi all

First-time poster, and new to all of this

I am trying to set up a Retropie 3 with attract mode and the Robospin display. (following this youtube guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrXe3icI-mI) The plan is to get this working myself and then support students at school to make their own arcade tables to learn some programming, electronics, and cabinetmaking.

All seems to have worked, I have the list of games in MAME_LIBRETRO along with Snaps  and Wheel, but when I select a game it won't load (quick flash on the screen and then back to robospin.

If i try and select the games in emulation station they will load and play.
I have double checked the scripts for the emulator settings and I am sure the error isn't there.

Can anyone help please, I want to sort out the bugs before we give this project to the students.
PS If you live in Adelaide's northern suburbs any face to face assistance would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 03:48:15 AM by Guy »

Omamez

• View Profile
Re: MAME not working in attract mode but do with emulationstation
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 03:54:40 AM »
bit more info are your paths correct and do you have correct romset and bios files?

Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 05:31:24 AM »
I'm fairly confident my paths are correct, have double checked them with the video a few times to confirm.
Not sure about the bios and romset, but assumed they were ok if it works from emulation station since both are using retroarch to execute.
started the proces with sudo apt-get update, then sudo apt-upgrade etc. (following the instructions at this stage but not always sure of the meaning of the code)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 05:42:25 AM by Guy »

Floob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 09:26:45 AM »

That video was for v0.1 image I put together, so the newer one would have this as the emulator config - does yours look like this?

Code: [Select]
# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.0.0
#
executable           /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh
args                 0 _SYS_ mame-libretro "[romfilename]"
rompath              /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-libretro
romext               .zip
system               Arcade
info_source          thegamesdb.net
import_extras        /home/pi/.attract/mame-config
artwork    flyer           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-libretro/flyer
artwork    marquee         /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-libretro/marquee
artwork    snap            /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-libretro/snap
artwork    wheel           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-libretro/wheel

This one is more current:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfWZqr0BwS8

I'll build one for RetroPie 3.8.1 and Attract Mode 2.1 soon(ish).
RetroPie Help Guides: https://goo.gl/3gcNsT

Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 06:11:44 PM »
Thank you, that seems to have fixed it.

I'll watch the Youtube clip and see if there are any other changes/updates I should make.
The next improvement I will look for will be exiting a game without having to restart the Pi.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 08:35:17 PM »
Thank you, that seems to have fixed it.

I'll watch the Youtube clip and see if there are any other changes/updates I should make.
The next improvement I will look for will be exiting a game without having to restart the Pi.

You appear to be using RetroArch. You should be able to exit any game in RetroArch with the buttons you setup as "Select" and "Start" in EmulationStation. Just press them both at the same time.

Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 12:15:36 AM »
Thanks for that. Who would have thought it would be so easy.
I must admit I had not seen that feature in the demo's or instructions I had been following.  :P

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 01:33:12 AM »
Thanks for that. Who would have thought it would be so easy.
I must admit I had not seen that feature in the demo's or instructions I had been following.  :P

It's a RetroArch feature than has been built into the Emulation Station on RetroPie gamepad/keyboard setup for a while now. I think most people here assume that you have used RetroPie before and know this, but obviously it's not always the case.

Tip - Your "Select" button + many other buttons will give you: RetroArch config menus, save/load states, pause, reset, etc. functions.