Author Topic: Layout fonts look different on crt  (Read 5933 times)

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Layout fonts look different on crt
« on: March 20, 2017, 12:37:24 AM »
Developed my flavors layout on my Mac. I have the window set to 640x480. When I installed the theme on my neo geo running windows 10 at 640x480, the font is much larger. Any idea? It doesn't make sense to me. I set sizes of everything based on a percentage of the layout width and height. It should be the same.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Re: Layout fonts look different on crt
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:29:22 AM »
It's not that it is "much larger" - it's a different font.

Your original condensed font is BEBAS NEUE (or something similar) and "bigger" font looks like ARIAL.
So it's "standard" font because your original font is not loaded. Check out terminal output.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:34:15 PM »
It's not that it is "much larger" - it's a different font.

Your original condensed font is BEBAS NEUE (or something similar) and "bigger" font looks like ARIAL.
So it's "standard" font because your original font is not loaded. Check out terminal output.

No errors at all on the terminal output. A different font being used makes sense though. Windows 10 can use ttf fonts, right?

EDIT: double clicked on the font and it installed it. Still yielded no change.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 01:05:45 AM »
Yea, win 10 for sure supports ttf fonts

---

Below I'll spit out some ideas worth checking - most of them are pretty basic, so bear with me

---

And how's your font definition looks like?
Are you using font filename (without extension)?

Are you using ttf version? or .otf?
If you are using .otf try the .ttf version

---

For the font definition skip the extension, so for bebas-neue-bold.ttf font it should be "bebas-neue-bold"

---

And of course put your font in layout folder :)

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 08:43:25 AM »
For the CRT scaled view is the font size being scaled to a different numeric value? Some fonts have different sets of vectors for different sizes... especially small sizes.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 05:25:45 PM »
Thank you verion and mahuti. I tried everything I can possibly think of. I was stumped for a while. And then I tried renaming the font from "Alégre Sans Bold NC“ without the accent over the „e“ and it worked. Windows is stupid. This is why I don’t normally use it. lol

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »
Stuff like that is the WORST. It's sad that after... how many years of computing... they still can't get basic things like that right.

YellowBirdAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 03:33:17 PM »
I think the answer is NO but I need to ask anyway... is there any way to control the size of fonts in existing layouts? In my case the font is correct, there are just some places I'd like it to be smaller (like in the list of games, where longer names get cut off).

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 03:43:54 PM »
I think the answer is NO but I need to ask anyway... is there any way to control the size of fonts in existing layouts? In my case the font is correct, there are just some places I'd like it to be smaller (like in the list of games, where longer names get cut off).

The developer would have to add the feature to the user config. However, it shouldn't be that hard to look through the source code and change it manually. If you post the name of the layout and a picture of the text you want to change, I'm sure myself or some one else would be able to help.

YellowBirdAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 03:51:00 PM »
Thanks... but I think I found it.

local list = fe.add_listbox( 9, 75, 311, 385 )
list.rows = 20
list.charsize = 16

So Listbox has a charsize variable... and that's the object on the screen giving me trouble. I'll change that value and see what it looks like.

Thanks again.