Author Topic: Updated version of Roboskin spinwheel, scales from 1024 to 1080...  (Read 156877 times)

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Updated version of Roboskin spinwheel, scales from 1024 to 1080...
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 04:35:15 PM »
yeah, mine is off as well -  I'm at 1280x800 in windowed mode, but same results in fullscreen. I won't get to mess with it much till the weekend but this definitely might need to be addressed, kind of important if we use pinch and skew that everyones artwork works..

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2015, 10:55:32 PM »
Hi guys,

First off, great work fixing up this layout, its looking really nice!

The problem with the pinch/skew does sound like a bug.  My intention was that this setting be resolution independent and it sounds like it is not. I'll take a look and try to replicate what is going on...

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2015, 05:42:06 AM »
raygun-

Thanks for taking a look at this...

Bman21

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 05:56:49 PM »
Hello,

For starters, I am new here. I have been building an arcade machine for my apartment over the past year. Physically, its been done since March. I am slowly getting around to configuring it now. I have gotten all the game I want on it acquired - along with their miscellaneous bios files and such.

That being I downloaded this layout today and tried it. I am having the same issue as the last few posts describe. I am use a LED TV as my display with the recommended resolution of 1360 x 768. Rather unusual resolution, I know. Any suggestions on how to fix it? I've been messing with the .nut file; tweaking some values to see if the changes fix things.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2015, 12:17:16 AM »
This layout is for 4:3 aspect so it won't look good on your 16:9 TV

I'll be making a fork of this layout for widescreen - because I'm using a widescreem myself - so stay tuned :)

Your resolution won't be a problem - since AM stretches to fill the screen an you are missing only 6px in width - so it won't be noticable at all
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 12:22:29 AM by verion »

Bman21

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2015, 09:44:30 PM »
Awesome, looking forward to it.

Killer theme, by the way. It make attract mode like hyper spin without the pain in the ass setup that comes with hyperspin.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2015, 06:02:16 AM »
Hey, you know what would be another nice touch - adding more cabinet options. Would you be game in working your magic on more cabinets from here http://3dmodels.katorlegaz.com. As you know, they would need to be in same perspective etc. This would be a really nice addition. And, it would take me longer than it would you. I understand if you don't won't to bother with it, though. So, no worries there.   

I was thinking about this - I was considering following scenarios:

1. different cab for every game :)
2. the same cab but side graphics changes with every game
3. different cab for horizontal games and different cab for vertical games (two different layouts)

----

sounds great but in reality it is not possible to achieve this (even for my 150 games)

maybe possible for limited number of games (like my 150)
but:
- it's hard to get good quality side art (a lot harder than snaps and marquees)
- even if there is a good side art it probably won't fit ONE cab shape

this is something that is surely doable, and it resolves problem with vertical snaps (now displayed in horizontal window).

---------

For me #3 is the most promising way of pushing that layout little further - but I've stopped working on this when we discovered that there is a nasty bug with skewing and pinching, so there is now way to make it work for different snaps and marquees resolution.

So I'm just waiting for that bugs to be squashed - and started working on layouts that don't have snaps displayed in perspective: my FLAT BLUE layout is under development by Luke Nukem and I'm now working on next 2D layout.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2015, 08:13:13 AM »
verion-

I agree, having that many cabinets is just not realistic. So, I was thinking maybe just 3 or 4 classic cabinets. But, having a vertical option is a good idea also. Keep in mind, raygun has swf working, albeit somewhat limited. That opens up a lot of possibilities for themes like in hyperspin.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2015, 08:32:22 AM »
I was thinking maybe just 3 or 4 classic cabinets

3-4 cabinets to choose from? In a layout menu?
That would be difficult - without altering the snaps position.
It should be exactly the same cab type to have marquees and snaps in the same place - and this is very limiting.

AFAIK only robotron and moon patrol are similar (from that 3dmodels link).

raygun has swf working, albeit somewhat limited. That opens up a lot of possibilities for themes like in hyperspin.

Personally I'm not the fan of hyperspin - with all the respect for amount of great work (both graphics and coding) - it is just "too much" for me. Flying, bouncing, flashing stuff - it's not my cup of tea. But it's just my personal preference - and surely there are a lot of people that would be attracted to that kind of games presentation.

For me AM has everything that is needed to make great layouts - only not everything that we have is working correctly right now.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2015, 11:40:25 AM »
Moon patrol is one of the cabinet models that I plan on adding to the layout relatively soon. I was thinking about using the roboskin as a template then adding skins to get around the perspective problem. But, that is just to much effort considering all the projects I've got going on. Plus, I need to make the switch from gimp over to Photoshop one of these day. That is going to be another time sink.

AM is definitely by far the most flexible and cabinet friendly front-end out right now, IMHO. I am a recovering hyperspin user, It can be as flashy or subdued as you want. But, am blows it away performance and customization wise. 

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2015, 11:54:26 AM »
I have moon partol in my photoshop file already. I've imported it along with roboskin, because I coludn't decide which one is better.
Finally went with robotron - because it was your first choice, and I didn't want to reinvent your layout.

But when I was making perspective corrections and scaling I was applying the same for moon cab.
So now it almost matches the robotron - and it can be fixed with 2-3 hours of work.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 12:00:17 PM by verion »

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2015, 01:45:32 PM »
verion

Looks great man. When your done, I'll add it for new release.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2015, 06:35:49 AM »
Bloom effect is working with snap now, I need to make a few more changes and I'll re-release.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2015, 06:35:08 AM »
Hello,

For starters, I am new here. I have been building an arcade machine for my apartment over the past year. Physically, its been done since March. I am slowly getting around to configuring it now. I have gotten all the game I want on it acquired - along with their miscellaneous bios files and such.

That being I downloaded this layout today and tried it. I am having the same issue as the last few posts describe. I am use a LED TV as my display with the recommended resolution of 1360 x 768. Rather unusual resolution, I know. Any suggestions on how to fix it? I've been messing with the .nut file; tweaking some values to see if the changes fix things.

Bman21-

I've made a lot of changes to robospin and I've found a work around for the skew and pinch bug. As you know the layout will scale up to 1080p in 4x3 aspect but pinch and skew would have issues scaling up. So, I've made a 1080p snap ajustment that will work with your resolution too.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2015, 07:02:26 AM »
Hail!

So, I've made a lot of changes to robospin. I've come up with a temporary fix for the skew and pinch issues when scaling. Under layout options there is a snap adjustment for 1024 and 1080p. Basically, if you scale up from 1024 and start having snap distortions just select 1080p for snap adjustment. I didn't test every resolution in 4x3 aspect but most of the popular resolutions should work but needs more testing. You can make more precise snap adjustments under the snap index.

Now, for the changes. I've added a basic crt shader for the snap only. For those who want a more old school feel. You can make whatever ajustments to the shader frags you want. I still need to try Lukes shader, just haven't had the time. Also, changed the position of the text to the bottom of the layout. Text such as title and manufacturer can be turned on or off at same position. The crt shader can be turned on or off, same for scanlines. There is also 4 different backgrounds to choose from.

Here is a pick of it before I re-release it, hopefully today.