Author Topic: Arcadeflow theme v 17.1 [Release] Updated 22 March 2024  (Read 548560 times)

Yaron2019

Re: Arcadeflow theme v 8.9 [Release] Updated 25 September 2020
« Reply #1095 on: September 25, 2020, 11:22:32 PM »
I think this is caused by the way Arcadeflow switches displays: if you are not using Arcadeflow for all your displays then it will not work as expected. Did it work in the previous version, with the same configuration? Basically what AF does is it triggers "next_display" or "prev_display" signals until it reaches the right display, then updates all its data. This means that, if the display layout is always Arcadeflow, the layout is never reloaded when switching displays. But if a display is _not_ Arcadeflow, all this trick will fail. I can add an option to use the "old" display load system in the next release.

That would be great as I don't see a reason why AF's navigation feature should not work with other themes.
I think that one of the strengths of AM is that we can mix whatever we want - it's super cool IMO to mix my great themes collection with arcadeflow and hyperspin (pcca) and I need to navigate between them of course. It's a legit prerequisite.

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: September 26, 2020, 02:12:50 PM »
8.9 Custom Transparent Overlay Feature

Thank you for adding this! It makes it so seamless to allow people to know what the buttons are going to do.

I just need to make the custom image in a higher resolution next time....

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #1097 on: September 27, 2020, 06:56:27 AM »
That would be great as I don't see a reason why AF's navigation feature should not work with other themes.

There is a precise technical reason: there's a difference in the way attract mode reacts when you change a display between displays that use the same layout file: using fe.set_display() function the romlist is loaded and the layout is reloaded, but when you use an hotkey or the displays menu only the romlist is loaded, and it's much faster because since the layout is the same, it doesn't reload.
Now Arcadeflow by default doesn't use the normal Displays Menu, so I wanted to use a trick to avoid layout reloading not only when going to next/prev, but also jumping to a selected display in _my_ menu: instead of using fe.set_display I trigger a number of next_display signals until the right display is reached. Of course if meanwhile there's a display that uses a different layout, everything stops because in that case the new layout is always reloaded.

I think that one of the strengths of AM is that we can mix whatever we want - it's super cool IMO to mix my great themes collection with arcadeflow and hyperspin (pcca) and I need to navigate between them of course. It's a legit prerequisite.

There will be an option to disable "fast display switching" altogether, although I'm also thinking of a way to use one or the other method depending whether there's a "non Arcadeflow" layout along the path
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 07:00:56 AM by zpaolo11x »

Yaron2019

« Reply #1098 on: September 28, 2020, 12:00:01 PM »
Can you identify a non arcadeflow display?

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #1099 on: September 28, 2020, 12:14:34 PM »

Yes, fe.displats items have a "layout" property with the layout used by the display, in theory I could scan the "display jumps" and if there's a non-arcadeflow display jump directly to the target display

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #1100 on: September 30, 2020, 01:05:23 AM »

I think in the end I found a good workaround: when changing display Arcadeflow will scan the list forward and backward, if there is a different layout in one of the two directions it will chose the other direction even if the jumps needed are more, but if there's a different layout in both directions, then it will use the "old style" layout switching with the layout reload, even if the target is another Arcadeflow.

This, together with the new "progressive animated frosted glass" (https://youtu.be/2_BBAXQF4Bw) will be in AF 9.0 ;D

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: October 06, 2020, 04:13:29 PM »
When selecting manufacturer in the multifilter there aren't enough characters displayed to be meaningful.

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #1102 on: October 06, 2020, 10:45:59 PM »
When selecting manufacturer in the multifilter there aren't enough characters displayed to be meaningful.

That happens because manufacturers are grouped by initial letter, if you enter each submenu you should see the list of manufacturer names starting with each letter. It was done to avoid having to scroll through a huge list of names. Not sure if I can add an "ALL" at the top to browse all together

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #1103 on: October 07, 2020, 02:22:59 AM »
Arcadeflow 9.0 is out!

Now let's see if automatic update from 8.9 works or not :D
The new version is more polished, fixes some bugs and implements a new frosted glass effect that's much nicer than the old one.

Enjoy!

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: October 10, 2020, 09:37:21 AM »
When I try to add my pinball emulator (vpx) and keep the arcadeflow as the display it messes up...meaning even navigation stops working, it will hang...I have to exit the whole thing and rerun...

If I change the theme for the pinball it still messes up when I return to the layout menu...

Is there something I could send you to help troubleshoot?

Running v9.0

Yaron2019

« Reply #1105 on: October 10, 2020, 10:37:30 AM »
So I reinstalled v8.9 to see if the update works.
If the update settings is set to "Download Only" it downloads the theme and I get an Ok message and I can carry on.
But if it's set to "Download and Install" it freezes on the update screen.
Attached is my console screenshot after the freeze + the update screen it freezes on. The console shows both tries of "Download only" then "Download and Install" with the final error message when it freezes.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 10:50:01 AM by Yaron2019 »

Yaron2019

« Reply #1106 on: October 10, 2020, 10:49:32 AM »
Interestingly, after multiple attempts, it finally Downloaded and installed on its own but this is the result:

The first screen is the new AF9.0
The second screen shows that the display is set to Arcadeflow_90
AM's console reports "! Error opening layout: Arcadeflow_90"

Yaron2019

« Reply #1107 on: October 10, 2020, 10:53:28 AM »
It appears that AF failed to create the new directory for AF9 as Arcadeflow_89 is still intact in the layout folder and Arcadeflow_90 is not.
I've set the layout back to v8.9, tried the "Download and Install" operation again and it froze this time.

Furthermore: after manually installing v9.0, when I try to go to another display it always brings me to my Capcom Classics display, no matter what I choose - same as in v8.9
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 11:03:35 AM by Yaron2019 »

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #1108 on: October 10, 2020, 12:21:11 PM »
If I change the theme for the pinball it still messes up when I return to the layout menu...

Is there something I could send you to help troubleshoot?

Well first you can try running attract-console.exe and see what error messages you get, this will halp me understand what's going bad.
Also, can you share your attract.cfg?

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #1109 on: October 10, 2020, 01:08:04 PM »
Furthermore: after manually installing v9.0, when I try to go to another display it always brings me to my Capcom Classics display, no matter what I choose - same as in v8.9

Let's start with the (hopefully) easier part: there's a new option in the didplay menu page section where you can disable fast display switching. That should fix the display change issue completely, whole I try to understand why the "smarter" workaround is not working on your setup