Author Topic: Don't show rom with a certain Tag  (Read 1823 times)

PsxMicha

• View Profile
Don't show rom with a certain Tag
« on: January 24, 2022, 11:43:44 PM »
Hey Guys!

I am totally new to attract mode. I used GameEx for Years and I am still getting used to it, especially Romlists, Categories, Filters etc still confuse me a lot.

I wanna mark a lot of rom with a certain tag, for example "useless" and I don't want attractmode to show roms with that tag. how do I do that?

Mark Norville

• View Profile
Re: Don't show rom with a certain Tag
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 12:07:11 AM »
Welcome to the forum and AM,

I have only been here for three to four weeks now, and like you I was a total newbie having jumped ship from CoinOps to here, so far I am glad that I made the jump as I can get things done much faster than I could on CO, by using filters, xml files, catver and nplayers.ini.

Once you get the feel for setting up one system, then pretty much all the rest are the same on setting up, the wiki is a good place to go to, as it gives you filter information, even how to write your own skin. AM has a reasonably steepish learning curve, but as you have used GE, that reasonably looks similar in what it can do, if you do get stuck, I can always do video tutorials to help you out, as it only take a few minutes just to record setting something up, no need for fancy video editing.

It would help if you said what roms you are talking about, if it is MAME roms you can already filter these out

You need a filter and have something like this in

rule                 Status equals good|imperfect

You also need to make sure that you have MAME.XML or some use list.xml and catver.ini

However, you are better off just spending a bit of time and slowly clearing out the junk from your ROMS folder, create another directory called bad roms and keep them to one side, as in the future those roms may get full emulation. I played a game of Tetris last night and the warning came up that it was not perfect might have issues etc etc, but I played it and it seemed fine to me.

You do have MAME tool kits to remove clones and stuff like that if you want to do a google search for Don's HyperTools I do have the files on one of my hard drives so if you are stuck then I can hook you up with them

Regards

Mark
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 01:31:03 AM by Mark Norville »
Well I am back a new PC I7 4790K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Windows 10. Hopefully will get delivered at weekend.

Computer Specs : I7 3770K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Win 10
HD Specs : 1 x 1 TB SSD + 4 x 8 TB = 33 TB (fullish)
First system : ZX81 (Yes I am an old fart)
PS Network : MarkNorvile
Xbox : Mark Norville

PsxMicha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 02:05:49 AM »
thx for your answer :) I found this old thread here: http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1659.msg11736#msg11736

i wanna use that solution with tags and so far it works fine!

i created a file called streetfighter, but my street fighter games in there and created a filter with Tags equal streetfighter and it just shows me street fighter games.

then I created useless.tag and I put all the roms there that I don't want. Then I created this filter:

Code: [Select]
filter               "Junk Removed"
sort_by              Name
rule                 Tags not_equals useless

but it doesn't work :-\ it still shows me ALL the games. I thought it will remove games that I marked with the useless tag?

Mark Norville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 02:21:07 AM »
You should have global filter, all and the favourite.

My experience, do not bother with the global filter, just use the all

So create a tag in All, contains street fighter, and then create another rule inside of the All does not contain useless

Give me a few minutes and I will set up my AM again as I broke it trying something out.
Well I am back a new PC I7 4790K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Windows 10. Hopefully will get delivered at weekend.

Mark Norville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 02:32:49 AM »
Ok I have it working how you want, I tried useless to start with, and then I changed my wording to rubbish, but it should work with useless

display   Street Fighter
   layout               Basic     //(change this to whatever skin you are using)
   romlist              MAME    //(change this to whatever emulator you are using or All Games if you have joined your rom collection together)
   in_cycle             yes
   in_menu              yes    //(change this to no if you do not want it displayed on your main menu)
   filter               All
      sort_by              Title
      rule                 Title contains Street Fighter
      rule                 Tags not_contains rubbish     //(change this to whatever tag word you are using)
   filter               Favourites
      rule                 Favourite equals 1

This goes in your attract.cfg file

Regards

Mark
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 03:19:41 AM by Mark Norville »

dmmarti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 05:48:32 AM »
Also the Attract Mode Github page has a help page for filters.  Some good examples there too.

https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Example-filters