Author Topic: Arcadeflow theme v 17.1 [Release] Updated 22 March 2024  (Read 548337 times)

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
Re: Arcadeflow theme v 4.6 [Release] Updated 24 May 2019
« Reply #405 on: June 04, 2019, 01:47:40 PM »
That seems to solve the other issues for now at least. :) And I like that the boxart/screenshot switch saves your choice per system, really nice.

Great, believe it or not, I'm testing 4.6 on my Macbook Pro and it works flawlessly in displays menu mode. Well I'll rewrite the displays menu portion anyway

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #406 on: June 05, 2019, 06:19:50 AM »
Working on a new displays menu for AF 4.7, without having to use the layout as displays menu layout, but wanting something a bit richer than a bland list, I've coded this draft: the usual displays menu with a scrolling artwork list, which uses titles and artwork from the menu-art folder.

Enkak

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 05, 2019, 07:34:06 AM »
Looks better than the default menu. :) Hopefully you can also solve the issues with Display Menu code because it looks great here in 4.5 with the option of 1 row horizontal. :)

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #408 on: June 05, 2019, 07:37:31 AM »
Looks better than the default menu. :) Hopefully you can also solve the issues with Display Menu code because it looks great here in 4.5. with the option of 1 row horizontal. :)

Well that will be very hard, it seems I'm having lots of issues when the layout is reloaded (even in 4.5 sometimes), for example when reloading the layout after rotation toggle :/ If I can get an option to switch displays without reloading the layout I'll implement something that looks like AF for displays but is in fact something overlayed on top of the layout itself. That would be faster and safer.

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #409 on: June 05, 2019, 08:00:08 AM »
If someone is interested in beta-testing the new displays menu layout it can be loaded here, just substitute the 4.6 layout.nut with this one

Enkak

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 05, 2019, 08:09:13 AM »
First 11 systems the image show up on the right. The next 11 (I have 22 including the exit AM one) don't show the picture on the right.

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #411 on: June 05, 2019, 08:11:44 AM »
First 11 systems the image show up on the right. The next 11 (I have 22 including the exit AM one) don't show the picture on the right.

Well it's 50% good :D Can you tell me the file names of the pictures not showing? Right now it expects the wheel to be a .png file, while the snapshot can be a ".jpg" (which is cropped square) or a ".png" which is centered...

Enkak

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 05, 2019, 08:31:51 AM »
The snaps are all ".jpg" and named the same as the systems inside \menu-art\snap. The wheels are ".png" in \menu-art\wheel. Basically they stop showing up at 50% of the displays order. ??? The last one that shows the picture is Sony PlayStation, then Sony PlayStation 2 and all the others next don't show. Maybe something in the code is limiting the number, like show at most 11 systems pictures only?

In 4.5 Display Menu it shows good both the snap+wheel for all displays. :)

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #413 on: June 05, 2019, 08:44:54 AM »
Maybe something in the code is limiting the number, like show at most 11 systems pictures only?

"Maybe" I used the wrong index to loop through the displays so it only rendered half of them, but didn't notice because I only had images for the first in the list :D Fixed

Enkak

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 05, 2019, 09:00:13 AM »
First time all seemed good except the "Exit Attract-Mode" snap+wheel not showing but that is probably on purpose in the code? Now, after exiting AM the first time it didn't launch anymore. :o Then after some more tries launched again and next time stopped launching again. ??? Crazy stuff ;D

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #415 on: June 05, 2019, 10:34:26 AM »
Crazy stuff indeed, even the stripped down version sometimes crashes, even on my Mac. I’ll have to check previous versions, the only thing that changed is the way snaps are updated: not with index offset or rawest index offset, but with explicit file_name calls and get_art functions. Maybe this is stressing attract mode too much. I’ll look into it deeply

Enkak

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 05, 2019, 10:58:04 AM »
In version 4.5 things seems to be working good without those crash issues or others. The only thing I notice compared to other themes is that Arcadeflow taxes the CPU/GPU more. Main computer handles the theme well, but on a older computer here Arcadeflow moves in slow motion but it could be a drivers problem since it's not my computer and has an older AMD card.

dukpoki

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 05, 2019, 10:59:36 AM »
So i was messing around with the different options.  I didn't even realize you could do a single row until Enkak mentioned it earlier.  It's great...except for one fact:  you can only have 3 games showing at one time.  What that means, is all the pictures are gigantic.  Is it possible to have 5 games on the screen for a single row, the same way a double row would look?

Here's a mockup screen I did.  I also added white borders to the unselected games and minimized the on screen texts so it's way less cluttered.  I would personally love a minimal design option like this but what are your thoughts on it?  P.s. I know it makes it look more and more like "Ambience" especially once it transitions to playing a video file but since it doesn't look like Oomek will ever release it, you would be doing a favor for the whole community designing a similar alt version considering how many people are clamoring for it.  :P

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #418 on: June 05, 2019, 01:25:41 PM »
Is it possible to have 5 games on the screen for a single row, the same way a double row would look?

It shouldn’t be difficult to add both the small thumbnails single row and the minimalistic layout. There will be a lot of empty space (that Oomek used to show filters) but I think it might look good. I like your mock-up, let's see how it will look on Arcadeflow. For sure my layout and oomek’s one are still very different, even with this change. I’ll leep the option for giant thumbnails though since that's the main reason why I was asked to add the single row in the beginning :D

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #419 on: June 06, 2019, 03:34:29 AM »
In version 4.5 things seems to be working good without those crash issues or others. The only thing I notice compared to other themes is that Arcadeflow taxes the CPU/GPU more.

Yes, Arcadeflow is very demanding, mostly for two reasons: loading of a lot of artworks, even off-screen so the list smoothly scrolls, and using a lot of surfaces and glsl filters. While I tried to optimize filters as much as I can, surfaces stacks can be a real pain. I'm thinking of some radical change as far as surface stacks and shadows are concerned, but you see what happened last time I did some "radical change" to the theme lol

On my late 2013 retina 13" macbook pro AF runs quite well at 1200x800, but it's silky smooth only at lower resolution. You can force a "fake" lower resolution in the options to see if it improves the performance on older systems.

PS: Today I removed "Overview" support from 4.6 and for absolutely no reason it seems to work better. Of course if I try again this evening it will be back to continuous crashes :D