Author Topic: audio formats ?  (Read 2075 times)

caminiti45

• View Profile
audio formats ?
« on: September 22, 2018, 09:52:19 PM »
Which audio format uses the least amount of cpu and resources on a rpi in attract mode?

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
Re: audio formats ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 10:21:12 PM »
when u find out let us know....
help a friend....

Favdeacon

• View Profile
Re: audio formats ?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 04:40:54 AM »
The least amount of cpu would surely be taken by direct passthrough of DTS or AC3, if the audio equipment can process it. And you'll have to use the HDMI audio output for that AFAIK.

Apart from that, I found this Audio Formats Comparison. I am just a layman in audio formats, but if decoding speed is any indication for less computing power needed, FLAC leads before MPEG-1 Layer-3 (MP3) and Musepack according to the tests listed there.

By the way, why are you asking only about audio formats and not about video formats?

edit: If you're using the 3.5mm audio jack of the Pi, you may also want to test the improved (if experimental) audio driver by adding audio_pwm_mode=2 to your /boot/config.txt. Although it may not lessen the strain on the CPU, it improved the sound quality on my Pi significantly and it got rid of an annoying electric noise in the background. See http://raspberrypimaker.com/cheap-quality-audio-raspberry-pi/ for an overview of the Pi's internal and optional audio hardware.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 04:52:13 AM by Favdeacon »