Author Topic: How is screen rotation configured for Mame Roms?  (Read 4063 times)

jfrankman

• View Profile
How is screen rotation configured for Mame Roms?
« on: March 20, 2019, 07:48:41 AM »
I am new to attract mode as well as the various other components for emulation i.e. Retroarch, Rocket Launcher, etc. I am still trying to figure out how they all fit together. I have a Motion Blue PC Image I am testing, and have found some of the Mame games show the game sideways while other games appear fine. Is there a way for Attract Mode to control how games are displayed vertically or horizontally? What controls which games appear vertical and which appear horizontal?

dmmarti

• View Profile
Re: How is screen rotation configured for Mame Roms?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 11:23:30 AM »
MAME itself (when launching the game) should display the game in the correct orientation.  You can press TAB to access the MAME GUI to alter that (or go into Retroarch if you're using a Retroarch based MAME core).

Attract Mode is just a front-end for selecting and launching the games, it doesn't do anything after the game is launched. 

If, however, you're having game preview video snaps showing sideways while in the Attract Mode displays - then that means your MP4 file needs to be replaced with another one for that game.  Attract Mode just plays the MP4 file for you.  You can either edit your existing MP4 and resave it or get a new one.  EmuMovies is a good source for game video snaps.

rand0m

• View Profile
Re: How is screen rotation configured for Mame Roms?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 05:04:47 PM »
I am new to attract mode as well as the various other components for emulation i.e. Retroarch, Rocket Launcher, etc. I am still trying to figure out how they all fit together. I have a Motion Blue PC Image I am testing, and have found some of the Mame games show the game sideways while other games appear fine. Is there a way for Attract Mode to control how games are displayed vertically or horizontally? What controls which games appear vertical and which appear horizontal?

You can use Magic token [Rotation] in emulator argument to force a rotation. AM now allows to use magic tokens in emulator arguments as mentioned here > https://github.com/mickelson/attract/issues/481 I have not personally used it yet.