Author Topic: Daphne on Raspberry Pi setup and config  (Read 14810 times)

Finhead

• View Profile
Daphne on Raspberry Pi setup and config
« on: May 04, 2016, 01:01:03 PM »
Not sure if anyone is looking for this but thought it might help someone out at some point. Hope it all makes sense.

Big thanks to Floobs for helping me get this up and running.

This is setup to run on Floobs v0.3 image as it uses the non-x version to use runcommand
Find it here in the first post  http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=705.0

Going to list all the steps to get the correct files and how to setup the directories and the cfg file used.

First part quoted from Riverstorm (RetroPie forum)

1. Download and install Daphne Loader   http://www.daphne-emu.com/site3/index_hi.php
2. Start Daphne and click "Start" on your preferred game (downloads games via torrent files)
3. After it downloads the game it will give you a list of qualifying DVD's to authenticate the game
4. Insert correct DVD and click "Ok" to authenticate
5. After it completes click "Ok' to start the game and parse the files
6. Exit the game and Daphne Loader
7. Browse to the install folder and look for the subdirectory named "vldp_dl"
8. Under "vldp_dl" look for the game you just installed (i.e. Dragon's Lair=lair; Space Ace=ace; etc.)
9. You want to copy all the files except the *.bf, *.md5, *.dat files to your Pi using SCP or another program. The directory structure is defined in the official Wiki here: https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Daphne

Here is a few pics to show the directory structure a little easier to follow for newbies like me.  ;)

This is how your main daphne folder should look if you want all the artwork and intro video etc to be used by the emulator cfg file.
This allows Attract Mode and EmulationStation to run the games correctly.

The files you need to copy from your PC "vldp_dl" directory

You'll need to make sure the .txt file is correct with a there being a blank line to start. Mine had a "." on the first line that must be removed but leave the blank line. Should look like this.

And the roms just go in the roms folder as any other emulator.

The Emulator cfg file I used, it will use the artwork directories setup in the first steps.
You can just copy this to a new .cfg file in the /home/pi/.attract/emulators  directory name it "daphne.cfg"

# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.0.0
#
executable           /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh
args                     0 _SYS_ daphne "[romfilename]"
rompath               /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/daphne
romext                 .daphne;.DAPHNE
artwork    flyer           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/daphne/flyer
artwork    marquee         /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/daphne/marquee
artwork    snap            /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/daphne
artwork    wheel           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/daphne/wheel

senkun

• View Profile
Re: Daphne on Raspberry Pi setup and config
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 06:45:03 AM »
@finhead

hey Fin, now you got me wanting to finally try getting Daphne onto one of my Pies. nice guide, thank you! bookmarked for "yet another thing I want to do soon..."

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 12:47:41 AM »
@finhead

hey Fin, now you got me wanting to finally try getting Daphne onto one of my Pies. nice guide, thank you! bookmarked for "yet another thing I want to do soon..."

If you do let me know if it all works ok or if there needs to be anything added.  :)

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 10:36:57 AM »
Hey fin thanks for the write up :) wish I had a pi to test this out on!
People want life easy..then complain about it

warham

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 12:59:03 PM »
This works great in emulation station but not in attract mode.   daphne runs behind attract mode and or crashes the front end
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:05:37 PM by warham »

supermanbidder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 10:51:13 PM »
i know this may be an old topic ,but i just wanted people to know that i just got my daphne going running in attract mode on raspberry pi 3   this is assuming you have your large roms running from an external hard drive like i do ..  it kept saying it couldnt find the roms and or roms zip of what ever game i tried to run ,then it dawned on me is it still looking in the retropie sd card roms folder  so i put the roms folder in it complete with the roms (zips) and it works all of them    hope this helps  it was driving me crazy