Author Topic: Issues with rotation, navigation and scan lines  (Read 7382 times)

psynaptik

• View Profile
Issues with rotation, navigation and scan lines
« on: February 03, 2019, 10:09:09 AM »
Hi there,

Downloaded Mr.Burns VerticalPie image from ArcadePunks (https://www.arcadepunks.com/8gb-vertical-retropie-attractmode-image-fully-loaded-800-in-1-from-mrburns/).

All boots up fine and looks lovely, except:

1) The entire thing is upside down. I can't work out from the attractmode menu how to turn things 180 degrees.

2) I can only move 1 game at a time and can't seem to skip letters to navigate quicker through the 800 titles or so there. How do I say add skipping letters forward and backward to left/right, or certain buttons?

3) How do I add vertical scan lines? Is this something done in attractmode, or do I do this in retroarch?

Hope someone can help me with this 3 things. Many thanks!

Tom

psynaptik

• View Profile
Re: Issues with rotation, navigation and scan lines
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 02:42:25 AM »
Okay, no thanks to anyone here, for posterity I have posted the solution to these problems. Number 1 is a particular pain in the backside.

1) In the attractmode menu, you can navigate to the layout options and change the rotation of the theme. This is entirely separate to how your games run. Change it to left, right or flip depending on your needs. You can also go into the cfg file for the layout (e.g. in my case it was vertical robospin) and change the orientation from right to left (in my case). Though unhelpfully, there is no guide out there to each of the params, although there are some (hard to read) comments in the file itself.

For games, and here's the killer - there's a hidden option in the Retroarch menus for rotating the screen. You won't see the option to rotate by default in the Retroarch menus, so you need to go to User Interface >> Set Show Advanced Options to True. Then, when you go back to Settings >> Video, you will see an option to rotate the screen. After you've done this, make sure that you save game override (for just that game) or core overrivede (for everything that uses that core e.g. FBA, mame2003, mame4all etc.) You probably want the Save core override option.

No amount of fiddling around with the retropie setup script (if using Retropie) and changing libretro core settings made any difference. It's this option in the retroarch quickmenu that you want.

2) Pressing TAB to access attractmode menu and go to Controls. Here you can set buttons and button combinations (especially helpful) to skip forward or backwards whole letters.

You'll also want to ensure that there is a favourites display (that is 'menu' in attractmode speak) that you can navigate to to save time finding your games. For example, I have set my start button to be the add/remove favourites button as I scroll through, and then I can go to the favourites display by tapping to the side. Make sure the favourites menu has the favourites FILTER set on it.

3) This is easy actually. In retroarch (or the retropie setup script if this is what you're using) in the graphical options for retroarch set the shader to be whatever you want it to be (in this case it's crt-pi-vertical).