Author Topic: Rom specific emulation - attract mode & retroarch  (Read 1967 times)

squareboy

• View Profile
Rom specific emulation - attract mode & retroarch
« on: March 17, 2022, 03:46:04 PM »
Is it possible to set a specific emulator for a rom? 

I have an "ARCADE" layout, and within that list of arcade games a specific game (bubble bobble) needs to use another emulator core within retroarch.
I noticed an "Emulator" value within the romlist but this does not seem to change things.

Thanks for any help.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Rom specific emulation - attract mode & retroarch
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 07:32:46 PM »
Setup a button or key for "edit game".
Configure-->Controls-->Edit Game

Once you have this set, go to the game you want to change and press the button or key you configured for "Edit Game". This will allow you to change the settings for a specific game.

squareboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 09:43:28 PM »
@progets
Thank You!

I see how that works now. 
I had to try several cores and finally I was able to get it to work.   (mame 2003 plus worked for bublbobl.zip)

For those interested:

Adding a specific Retroarch core to a rom in Attract Mode (PC):

1. Set a key or button combination to edit game
    in Attract Mode -> configure(TAB) -> controls -> Edit Game.    (for me EDIT GAME was set to ESC+down)

2. Highlight your game and press the edit game button/key combo

3. Select Custom Executable, enter the same as in your layout emulator settings, in my case:    C:\RetroArch\retroarch.exe         

4. Select Custom Argument: enter the same as in your layout emulator settings, but change the core, in my case  the default in my layout was:       -L \RetroArch\cores\mame2010_libretro.dll "[romfilename]"
                                                                                                                                             but I wanted the mame 2003 plus core so I used this :     -L \RetroArch\cores\mame2003_plus_libretro.dll "[romfilename]"

Thanks to progets for the help
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 09:46:17 PM by squareboy »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 11:52:21 PM »
Glad you got it working. I think you only needed the custom argument since the executable is the same.

It sounds like you might have arcade roms from different versions of MAME rom sets. If you got all your roms from the same rom set, you should only need one core for RetroArch.

If your running on a PC, I would recommend using MAME for arcade games. There are many benefits. I know and love RetroArch for it's all-in-one package and I use it for a lot of systems but for arcade games I (and most people) use MAME. The RetroArch cores derive from MAME but they lack a lot of the customization.