Author Topic: One list many displays  (Read 2387 times)

akafox

• View Profile
One list many displays
« on: August 04, 2020, 01:20:00 PM »
I might be over AM's head here I am not sure...but here goes...

So what I am trying to do is have one list...but when switching to a game I want the display to change.

That is to say... :

So you have one system for example sega mastersystem. When you change games it changes the wheel, video, snap, ect. When I change to another display (or list) then the display changes as well showing for example a 3DO.

But what if I wanted to change systems in the list and is show a different display as I scroll a single list?

Basically what I have done is made a single list of batch scripts to start each emulator. No list of games or such..it is just set up to launch each system. While I can set up each script as a system and thus when I choose the system I get the display I want I also get a long "list" of wheel art that means nothing.

So I thought well what it I could make a single list and when I choose a "game" the display changes showing that display that matches that system? Kind of like Emulation Station does when on the "main menu" (but of course in this case there is no sublist of games it just launches the script).

Anyone have ideas of how to get in this hen house? Is it even possible?
People want life easy..then complain about it

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: One list many displays
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 01:37:57 PM »
This should do it. Just hide all your other Displays when your done. http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1165.msg8455#msg8455

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 09:16:17 PM »
I'm not understanding maybe...

I generate the all systems and filter and such... but it only uses the same display no matter what I do. The separate systems display fine like they are supposed to. Put them all in a list or filter and they still use the same display... not what I am trying to go for here.

Either that or I am missing something...

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 10:13:30 PM »
Yes, my solution would use just one "Display" but you see the system specific information if the layout you use supports/shows it. Try the "uni_cade" layout http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=481.msg3968#msg3968 on your masterlist and you'll see what I mean.

There currently isn't a way to have multiple displays within a display in AM directly. You can have multiple displays that all use the same romlist but this won't give you the "single list" you mention. You can modify your layout though to give you similar results. Also, I don't understand what you're doing with the scripts or how that would matter to AM when it comes to romlists or displays and artwork.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 08:20:31 PM »
I had already assumed that it couldn't be done...I was just hoping I was wrong?

As for the scripts...I don't know..already had some made so I could run some emulators with them and not have to open the terminal. I could just set them all up "normally" I guess. Then I ran into some problems trying that and said forget it...

I did find a work around though! I used a theme that uses the entire background as the snap/video background so I just took parts of a theme that i like and made it the system "snap" works great. Well except I am no graphic artist!  :P  Works for me though and that is all I am worried about. I doubt anyone would care to do what I am doing anyway.

I have and old laptop I am wanting to put my old computer (and only computer) emulators on. No games or anything like that. Just a basic OS and some software. It's really do I can just "show off and be old and cool" thing. It would be great for a IT/computer history teaching tool maybe? other than that it really doesn't do much. Like I said no games...ans you know..games are where it's at!  ;D