Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Image for Pi2, Pi3 and Pi4 - with RetroPie  (Read 523562 times)

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
Re: Raspberry Pi Image for Pi 2 and Pi 3
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2016, 12:09:33 AM »
Is it non-x or will it work in either x or non x both once compiled with new sfml?
I haven't had a chance to play with this yet.

efraimsangil

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2016, 12:36:43 AM »
New image:
http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=705.0

2nd May 2016 - v0.3
- Recompiled AM with new SFML so X is no longer needed (https://github.com/mickelson/sfml-pi)
- This means runcommand now works under Attract Mode
- Updated configs to no longer start X
- Updated Emulators to use runcommand (https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/runcommand)

Great job! I am going to test it :)

Thanks a lot to share. ;)

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2016, 12:37:16 AM »
Does anyone have the non x version running on a fresh RetroPie 3.7 build? I've tried a few times without success.

Yes but I cheated and just downloaded Floob's new image, link is in the first post V0.3 Works fantasic with Advmame loads faster than RetroPie does.
Just getting Floob to look into Daphne for me now and I'll be set.  :)

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2016, 12:42:47 AM »
Is it non-x or will it work in either x or non x both once compiled with new sfml?

Seems it is both, "xinit attract" loads fine.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2016, 12:52:07 AM »
@Finhead - Using Floob's image isn't a fresh RetroPie 3.7 build.

Floob's build is great and I know many will benefit from it. My personal build is using HyperSpin themes and requires many modifications to his build so I would prefer to understand the process so I can easily adapt it to my build.

efraimsangil

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2016, 01:30:52 AM »
@Finhead - Using Floob's image isn't a fresh RetroPie 3.7 build.

Floob's build is great and I know many will benefit from it. My personal build is using HyperSpin themes and requires many modifications to his build so I would prefer to understand the process so I can easily adapt it to my build.

I'm doing the same. I explain you the steps for Mame:

Copy the correct files from Hyperspin to correct directory.

mame2010
ROMS Directory: /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-libretro
Wheel: /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-libretro/wheel
Flyer (background pictures): /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-libretro/flyer
Snap (videos, mp4 or flv): /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-libretro/snap
Marquee: /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-libretro/marquee

You don't need to do anything else :)

Floob

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2016, 05:11:24 AM »
What this means is emulators that use SDL 1.2 can now be run with attractmode outside of X with hardware scaling.
Advmame for example scaled only in software in X. Now it will use hardware scaling.

Good point, I should really have that in the changelog.
RetroPie Help Guides: https://goo.gl/3gcNsT

Floob

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2016, 05:20:56 AM »
best way to update ? or back up games and vids and wheels etc?

Well, you could recompile AM with the new SFML by merging these details:
https://github.com/mickelson/sfml-pi

into the normal guide:
https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Compiling-on-the-Raspberry-Pi-(Raspbian-Jessie)

But yes, if you use the new image you should be able to copy across the old files, I would copy the
/home/pi/.attract/ folder across - but bear in mind the emulators folder has been updated to use the runcommand method - so check that out so you can change yours appropriately.
Or you can keep calling the emulators in the old way if you like.

If you changed RetroPie configs you would want to copy those across as well /opt/retropie/configs/
And obviously you'll need to copy your roms across.

Floob

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2016, 05:25:01 AM »
Does anyone have the non x version running on a fresh RetroPie 3.7 build? I've tried a few times without success.

The build I've uploaded is pretty clean. Its just RetroPie 3.7 with the boot changed to start AM.
I also amended the /opt/retropie/configs/{systemname}/retroarch.cfg to start a shader - but this can be turned off in the same file.

I've also made amendments to make the startup quieter, so less text appearing on startup.

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2016, 06:39:11 AM »

Seems it is both, "xinit attract" loads fine.

Good.
I prefer to use X to configure because it's just easier & didn't want to have to keep getting out to test a theme change.

noxx

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2016, 08:52:41 AM »
New image:
http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=705.0

2nd May 2016 - v0.3
- Recompiled AM with new SFML so X is no longer needed (https://github.com/mickelson/sfml-pi)
- This means runcommand now works under Attract Mode
- Updated configs to no longer start X
- Updated Emulators to use runcommand (https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/runcommand)

thx
is it possible to update from 0.2 to 0.3?

xmack

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2016, 05:34:17 PM »
@efraimsangil
Thats odd as I havent set a Nintendo DS display or emulator up in the image I uploaded?

After you upload your roms to the relevant folder, run the "Generate Collection/Rom list" option found under the emulator menu.
This should make your roms available in a display.

When I choose (left/right) mame platform and don't have any roms uploaded, I see Nintendo DS in marquee and logo. But when I upload any roms (I put marquee, logo, flyer) I show perfectly. It's rare that appear Nintendo DS :)

There just place holders until the wheel is filled or if your marquee or wheel inmage is missing.

Appear when is missing, yes.

Hi to all! I'm new to these forum. I have the same problem when a mame rom don't have artwork it apperars a nintendo ds marquee, or wheel, or flyer there's any way to change this for a standard arcade artwork???
Also i haven't any system sound where i have to put it for select in audio menu?
Thanks to all!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 05:37:02 PM by xmack »

senkun

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2016, 06:24:10 PM »
Hi guys, I've fixed up the custom version of SFML some more and I think we can now get rid of the X dependency when running attract-mode on the pi.

It is working for me on my (admittedly outdated) pi testing setup.  I haven't tried it yet with floob's image.  Any help testing would be greatly appreciated.

You "just" have to be prepared to recompile SFML to get it going... here it is (see the readme.md for instructions):  https://github.com/mickelson/sfml-pi

thank you, sir, for bringing us attractmode. love it! happy to report that I've just successfully compiled the new custom sfml-pi on a new/stock retropie 3.7 install, and then compiled attract-mode on top of that. Everything went quite smoothly although as already mentioned, there are some small niggles..

cmake sfml-pi had a complain about a missing /sfml-pi/readme.txt file

compiling attract-mode throws up a bunch of deprecated warnings and a fatal: No names found error probably due to git headers/tags

on running attract we get glGetError 0x500 and AL lib: (WW) alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backend "pulse", do we need to install pulseaudio?

otherwise it was a smooth and easy build and attract-mode is working as it should for now. will be setting it up soon and will try out stuff.

yes, I'm running a non-x version on a fresh 3.7, compiled new sfml-pi over stock 3.7. where are you stuck?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2016, 10:45:54 PM »
@senkun - I've gotten this to work now but thanks for asking. My issues were with the dependencies on the new SFML-pi page, they weren't enough. I also had SFML fail only because of the readme.txt missing so I copied readme.md to readme.txt.

After I got it working I'm not sure if I'll use the non-x version. In x mode, I don't see any text between the game launch and game quit. In non-x mode I see the background text, though it's only for a second. Maybe there's a way to hide it in non-x mode.

I was also hoping that the non-x mode would help me launch Kodi from a HyperSpin theme by using the runcommand. It hasn't so far. I can launch and run it from either mode but I can hear the AM theme playing in the background and also can't properly quit back to AM.

The biggest benefit to non-x mode would be advmame (and maybe some other non-retroarch emulators) and the runcommand options. I don't really care about either of those. I use the command line to build mixed emulator/system lists (ex. attract --import-romlist mame-fba.txt --import-romlist mame-2003.txt --import-romlist mame-2010.txt --output mame-mixed.txt) so the runcommand really is more of an annoyance. I have AM set to boot and shutdown with no GUI option to go to RetroPie. The only time you ever see any text or command line from boot to play to shutdown is when you leave AM and it shuts down for a second or two. It's very clean and non-computer looking.

Omamez

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2016, 12:02:19 AM »
@senkun - I've gotten this to work now but thanks for asking. My issues were with the dependencies on the new SFML-pi page, they weren't enough. I also had SFML fail only because of the readme.txt missing so I copied readme.md to readme.txt.

After I got it working I'm not sure if I'll use the non-x version. In x mode, I don't see any text between the game launch and game quit. In non-x mode I see the background text, though it's only for a second. Maybe there's a way to hide it in non-x mode.

I was also hoping that the non-x mode would help me launch Kodi from a HyperSpin theme by using the runcommand. It hasn't so far. I can launch and run it from either mode but I can hear the AM theme playing in the background and also can't properly quit back to AM.

The biggest benefit to non-x mode would be advmame (and maybe some other non-retroarch emulators) and the runcommand options. I don't really care about either of those. I use the command line to build mixed emulator/system lists (ex. attract --import-romlist mame-fba.txt --import-romlist mame-2003.txt --import-romlist mame-2010.txt --output mame-mixed.txt) so the runcommand really is more of an annoyance. I have AM set to boot and shutdown with no GUI option to go to RetroPie. The only time you ever see any text or command line from boot to play to shutdown is when you leave AM and it shuts down for a second or two. It's very clean and non-computer looking.

Do I even dare to ask if you would share your build?  ;D