Author Topic: updating to stretch  (Read 5550 times)

Tobas

• View Profile
updating to stretch
« on: December 13, 2019, 07:04:35 PM »
has anyone upgraded their image from jessie to stretch here? was your attract mode intact after the upgrade? I'm having so much trouble.

I upgraded my image to stretch. Emulation Station loads fine, but it cannot find my attract mode no matter what I do. has anyone ever encountered this?

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: updating to stretch
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 08:58:22 PM »
Open the console/terminal and verify location of attract bin using the whereis or find command. Once you can verify location and operation of bin, then investigate whatever path emulation station uses to launch attract.

https://arcademvs.org/unix/basic-commands/

iOtero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 02:11:53 AM »
If it is Retropie what you use, you know where they have put things... They will be anywhere but where they should be...
Retropie is designed to use EmulationStation. To use Attract-Mode better use Raspbian with Attract-mode and Retroarch, it will be faster and better.
Nacer a los 15 años Una novela de iOtero

Tobas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 10:36:45 AM »
is it emulation station that opens attract?

dmmarti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 12:28:48 PM »
No, Emulation Station doesn't run Attract Mode.  They are two different front-ends. (however, folks do have custom scripts to reboot and swap between the two - but that's not officially part of RetroPie)

How did you install Attract Mode?  Did you follow the install compile commands on the Wiki or did you use the RetroPie-Setup menu to do it?

Depending upon which one you used, Attract Mode's config files are stored in different locations.

Manual method makes this hidden folder:

/home/pi/.attract

RetroPie-Setup makes this folder (if I remember right):

/opt/retropie/configs/all/attractmode

If you setup your Pi to autostart either of them, this script is altered:

/opt/retropie/configs/all/autostart.sh

It'll either launch "emulationstation" or "attract" (which are the same commands you'd manually type on the command line to launch them).

If you upgraded from Jessie to Stretch .. it's very possible some things have gotten messed up or corrupted.  That's not the recommended process.

You can either start from a base RetroPie image again - or try the manual compile method on the Wiki to try and re-install Attract Mode.

As keilmillerjr said, open up a terminal window and verify the location of the attract executable.  It should be in /usr/local/bin I believe.

If it's not, you'll have to re-install it using one of the above methods.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 12:30:28 PM by dmmarti »

Tobas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 01:44:09 PM »
so essentially, by editing the autostart.sh file, I can tell my retropie where to find attract mode?

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 01:46:39 PM »
so essentially, by editing the autostart.sh file, I can tell my retropie where to find attract mode?

Do what i said first. You need to know if you have the bin and make sure it works.

dmmarti

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 02:06:39 PM »
@Tobas, is this your thread on the RetroPie forum?

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/24231/unofficial-retroarch-1-8-1/41

If so, you’re using an older version of Attract Mode ... and looking at your picture, it does look like it’s trying to launch, but something isn’t working. I see a segmentation fault occurring.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 02:35:00 PM »
That thread is full of so much fail with inexperience of using linux. 🤦‍♂️

Tobas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 11:18:46 AM »
yes that is my thread! the problem is, when I update attract mode, it breaks my menu functions.

I decided to update attract mode before updating to stretch on one of my many tries to fix my problem. problem is, when I updated attract mode, it broke the menu functionality in attract mode. I could not open any of the config options in the menu. no reboot, no shutdown, nothing.

turns out, it didnt matter anyway. because I updated to stretch, updated emulation station, and attract mode still wouldn't start even with 2.6 in place.

I just need stretch to see the attract mode that is already in place. it's an absolutely perfect version of attract mode. there HAS to be answer to this. I'm SO close.

Tobas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 11:22:35 AM »
@Tobas, is this your thread on the RetroPie forum?

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/24231/unofficial-retroarch-1-8-1/41

If so, you’re using an older version of Attract Mode ... and looking at your picture, it does look like it’s trying to launch, but something isn’t working. I see a segmentation fault occurring.

how do I fix the segmentation fault? sorry if that's a silly question, I just want to figure this out so bad.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 12:08:06 PM »
I just need stretch to see the attract mode that is already in place. it's an absolutely perfect version of attract mode.

how do I fix the segmentation fault? sorry if that's a silly question, I just want to figure this out so bad.

These are two conflicting statements.

Tobas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 12:32:22 PM »
well in that case, I just want my attract mode to work after my update to stretch. I wish there was someone who updated to stretch from jessie and used attract mode so I could learn what they did.

dmmarti

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 12:40:40 PM »
@Tobas,

Reading your posts in the various threads on the RetroPie forum, it seems your build was very important to you.  I truly hope you made a backup of your SD card before you started changing things.

If you didn't ... then I do feel bad for you.

There are just too many variables and unknowns about the current state of your build that I cannot offer any solution for you.

Upgrading from Jessie to Stretch could've corrupted many things - hard to say.

Depending upon how Attract Mode was originally installed (either manually or via RetroPie Setup script) - and you tried updating via the other method, that could've changed things also. 

Did you have SFML-PI or FFmpeg installed or not?  I don't believe the RetroPie Setup method installs those.

You say you have your configs and roms, etc.....my only advice would be to start fresh, install Attract Mode (pick one method and stick with that method), and rebuild it. 

You mentioned your friend made the Attract Mode GUI not need a keyboard - thats easy enough to do by just TAB > Controls and mapping your gamepads.  You can easily replicate that on a fresh build again.

By starting fresh, that allows folks to more easily help you in the process and offer advice and suggestions.

I don't know what theme your Attract Mode was using, but any theme is easily obtained again and put back onto a fresh build.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2019, 12:51:11 PM »
well in that case, I just want my attract mode to work after my update to stretch. I wish there was someone who updated to stretch from jessie and used attract mode so I could learn what they did.

You didnt even do the small task I asked to help you. And if you clicked the link I posted, you would find info you need to resolve the issues with attract. You need to help us help you.