Author Topic: Using nonblocking mode for individual games in a romlist?  (Read 1686 times)

connconn1

• View Profile
Using nonblocking mode for individual games in a romlist?
« on: January 01, 2020, 07:22:24 PM »
There is one windows game that I have that requires non-blocking mode in order to work properly (otherwise the frontend will continue to run and play audio in the background while the game is running)

Is there any way to apply nonblocking mode to a single game? I checked the specific game configuration but am unsure how to set that as a boot flag. I figured I could create a new emulator with the same settings as the current one and set the game to use that emulator, but I am struggling to set the specific game to use a different emulator. Let me know if this needs further clarifying.

Thanks in advance!

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Using nonblocking mode for individual games in a romlist?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 08:31:47 PM »
Let's assume your existing emulator configuration that works for all the windows games but one is called windows.cfg.

Done using a file editor
1. make a copy of /attract/emulators/windows.cfg and call it /attract/emulators/windows2.cfg
2. add this line to /attract/emulators/windows2.cfg (x = the number of seconds of non-blocking delay that is needed)
Code: [Select]
nb_mode_wait         x3. edit /attact/romlists/windows.txt to make the emulator field for the one game that needed this change "windows2" instead of "windows"

OR

Done from inside the Attract-Mode GUI
1. create a new emulator called windows2 with the non-blocking mode delay setting
2. highlight to the game that needs to use this new configuration and press "Escape+Down" (or whatever you have configured in Attract-Mode as the edit game key/button) and change the emulator field to "windows2"

You should now have all your games in one list with one display but the game that didn't work before will now launch with the new windows2.cfg that has the "non-blocking mode delay" configured.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 08:45:42 PM by progets »

connconn1

• View Profile
Re: Using nonblocking mode for individual games in a romlist?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 10:27:00 PM »
Let's assume your existing emulator configuration that works for all the windows games but one is called windows.cfg.

Done using a file editor
1. make a copy of /attract/emulators/windows.cfg and call it /attract/emulators/windows2.cfg
2. add this line to /attract/emulators/windows2.cfg (x = the number of seconds of non-blocking delay that is needed)
Code: [Select]
nb_mode_wait         x3. edit /attact/romlists/windows.txt to make the emulator field for the one game that needed this change "windows2" instead of "windows"

OR

Done from inside the Attract-Mode GUI
1. create a new emulator called windows2 with the non-blocking mode delay setting
2. highlight to the game that needs to use this new configuration and press "Escape+Down" (or whatever you have configured in Attract-Mode as the edit game key/button) and change the emulator field to "windows2"

You should now have all your games in one list with one display but the game that didn't work before will now launch with the new windows2.cfg that has the "non-blocking mode delay" configured.

Ah I'm an idiot. Switching the emulator in the game-specific config did the trick. I thought it was just visual for some reason and didn't actually change the emulator parameter. Works like a charm now, thanks a ton!