Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 3 Image  (Read 53942 times)

Finhead

• View Profile
Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Image
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2016, 12:01:14 PM »
Sneak preview of updated robospin. Opinions ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmOvoS5eVx0

I think it looks great, only thing I would add if I were able to would be different cab skins.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2016, 12:41:02 PM »
Thanks, did you try the moon patrol skin that is included. If you go in layout options, you can change it.

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2016, 12:44:09 PM »
Thanks, did you try the moon patrol skin that is included. If you go in layout options, you can change it.
Yes I did, I like the stock one better. And really this is a fantastic frontend, far better than I thought I would ever be able to get the Pi to run. You did a great job and here I'm just nit picking. lol

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2016, 01:06:19 PM »
Just wanted to keep this in the Pi thread.
I was able to get Daphne working on my AM Rpi3 very nicely. Just have to configure the joystick input.ini figured out, keyboard is working fine.
If anyone has played around with configuring Daphne joystick any pointers would be awesome. ;)

I just installed this on my pi3 with retropie script last night for the heck of it.
it finally ran after i got the files in the right spot but i didn't have controls mapped.

I got my gamepad to work today at lunch, just had to paste this into /opt/retropie/supplementry/emulationstation/scripts/configscripts
http://pastebin.com/xp0vGQHZ

Now to move onto getting multiple roms to load, I think I need to make a emulator for each rom/game but not sure how to intigarte this into a single dispaly rather than multiples.

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2016, 06:48:31 AM »
Nitro-

It compiled after about an hour or so, but with no hardware acceleration like you. I'm thinking the update broke the package from deb-multimedia-keyring . However, I did fine this howto: https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/tutorial-build-or-download-ffmpeg-libavcodec-with-mmal-support-hardware-acceleration-video-decoding/3565

But, I haven't tried compiling it again.

I guess this what you use to verifty ffmpeg -codecs | grep h264_mmal

someone on the rpi forum showed me what flags they enabled.
I gave it a try but libavcodec killed the compile.
I'm pretty sure I did that when I installed SDL with dispmanx backend.

soooo tonight, fresh image and i'll have another go at it.

Floob

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2016, 02:21:58 PM »
Nice tutorial...

My approach is a little different but your method might be a little bit faster. First, I install raspbian jessie, resize the partition, configure the window mgr the way I want it then update and upgrade raspbian before the next step. Next, I get the retropie install script, and install retropie. Once it's installed, I just use it to setup my joysticks and to install more emulators. I never even run emulationstation, I do everything through the retropie_setup.sh tool.

The last stage is installing AM by following the attract wiki for the pi.

And, I just wanted to say that it's nice to see someone enjoying robospin on the pi. I made it where you can turn off some features if performance is an issue. But, I've been pleasantly surprised how well it runs on the rpi3.

Speaking of robospin, I've added some new features and hope to release it in the next day or so. It was getting a little stale, so I wanted to add some new features like pan and scan for those who want it. It already has system logos but I thought it would be cool if I could add game logos without creating too much clutter. And, I think that was accomplished. The hardest part has been getting all the game developer logos, I might be short some but most are accounted for.         

Thanks, thats an interesting point about building it that way round, maybe I'll try it on my next image.
I'm going to pre-configure all the libretro cores, so its ready just to take all the roms. I'll also preset shaders - I'd usually use overlays, but given the likely wide variety of resolutions used in AM builds its probably a better bet to run with the davej shader. I also need to work out why my keyboard stops working after a couple of minutes if I boot directly into AM. I might also tweak my video overlay tool to be geared for AM, so more shaders. https://github.com/biscuits99/rp-video-manager

I'll also add more layouts, although I havent found one I like more than robospin yet.

I'm very new to AM, but loving it as a very comprehensive FE for arcade setups. Has a fantastic community as well.
RetroPie Help Guides: https://goo.gl/3gcNsT

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2016, 06:03:28 AM »
Well, I got ffmpeg to compile with with h264 acceleration. at least it says it is compiled with it.
but, I think I goofed by compiling it with sdl 1.2. I think because sdl 1.2 doesn't do hardware acceleration on rpi it could affect things.

ffplay did play the big-buck bunny 1080p video on my RPI 3 but it was going from 10% cpu to 90% cpu and I was getting the rainbow block denoting power was low.

I've got a new beefier psu arriving today and I kicked off a recompile with SDL2.
so we will see tonight.

Chillimonster

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2016, 06:24:49 AM »
Loving this, and make the Pi feel fresh.

Getting my head around the configurations and settings, but liking what i see so far.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »
Attractmode on the Pi is really nice. I have it installed on top of RetroPie 3.6 and I'm using my HyperSpin themes and it looks great.

Has anyone figured out a way to hide the white dialog box when Attractmode loads and/or suppress the command line console when running a game?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 07:23:43 PM by progets »

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2016, 10:35:14 PM »
Nitro-

Awesome man, do you know about mesa-utils? You can use them to verify that hardware acceleration is actually enabled.

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils

type glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"

if yes its enabled.

type glxinfo

For all the info

run glxgears, to test if its working. I was getting 40 fps

Roverius

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2016, 04:10:42 AM »
I've made Attract mode up and runnin even with roms and marquees, snaps, etc... on external harddrive.

BUT, my question is, how do you let the wheel autorotate to a random selection.
Something like hyperspin that after a amount of time (lets say 60 seconds) the wheel autorotates to another selection.
Kind of screensaver, instead of continous staying on the same pointed game.

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2016, 05:38:58 AM »
Nitro-

Awesome man, do you know about mesa-utils? You can use them to verify that hardware acceleration is actually enabled.

if yes its enabled.

type glxinfo

For all the info

ok.
i'll check it. cpu is still way higher than omxplayer but lower than what it was.

but let's not celebrate yet.
compiling ffmpeg installed it's version of libjepg.
jessie uses libjpeg turbo i think.
Which is also installed.

so compiling attract gave me some errors with libjpeg & sfml and fails to compile. :(

I'll post the error in a new thread tonight and maybe it can be figured out.
I could of done something wrong.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2016, 02:00:43 PM »
I'm compiling again using the same guide with these extra flags --enable-mmal, --enable-hwaccel=h264_mmal, --enable-libx264

So far, so good. I'll let you know shortly.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2016, 02:44:52 PM »
I just got a yellow square which supposedly means cpu throttling because of thermal limitations. I did use make -j4 to release the hounds but this is just silly. I even have heat sinks, so why have you forsaken me pi.   

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2016, 04:01:38 PM »
Nitro-

if yes its enabled.

type glxinfo

For all the info

I have direct rendering but glxgears started at 37fps then slowly got slower. very weird.