Poll

What system are you running Attract Mode on?

Windows 10
103 (37.5%)
Windows 8
7 (2.5%)
Windows 7
46 (16.7%)
Windows Vista
1 (0.4%)
Windows XP
9 (3.3%)
MacOS
22 (8%)
Raspbian Linux
37 (13.5%)
Other Linux
50 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Author Topic: POLL: What system are you running Attract Mode on?  (Read 64592 times)

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: What system are you running Attract Mode on?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2019, 03:36:57 AM »
RetroFE can be compiled on Mac. Haven’t visited it in long time... because I like attractmode.

Is that RetroFE can be "cloned" in Attract-Mode without problems...  ::)

No. RetroFE can be compiled on windows, Linux and Mac. Just like attractmode. It’s not the only option for Mac like retromacgamer says. I do prefer attractmode, obviously because I’m here. But there is options and I don’t think that is ever a bad thing.

iOtero

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2019, 02:56:11 PM »
RetroFE can be compiled on Mac. Haven’t visited it in long time... because I like attractmode.

Is that RetroFE can be "cloned" in Attract-Mode without problems...  ::)

No. RetroFE can be compiled on windows, Linux and Mac. Just like attractmode. It’s not the only option for Mac like retromacgamer says. I do prefer attractmode, obviously because I’m here. But there is options and I don’t think that is ever a bad thing.

When I speak of "clone", I mean that the aspect, the shape, the appearance, of RetroFE, can be done with Attract-Mode.
Nacer a los 15 años Una novela de iOtero

stevereaver

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 08:46:54 PM »
Linux for the win!

Ford_Prefect

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2019, 11:02:24 PM »
I am doing a test install on Linux Mint 19.1 Mate.
The "new" mainboard is a MSI H81 mini itx with a I3-4150 and 4 Gb mem. A 60 Gb ssd + a 500 Gb hdd.
The main os is on the ssd, with the Home directory mounted on the hdd.
The graphics card is a Nvidia GTS 450.
My old setup is a Core 2 duo E8400 @3.6 Ghz, 4 Gb ram on a full atx Asus motherboard, and a Geforce 9500 Gt.
Especially the Geforce 9500 is showing it's age, still good for the older systems; (mame, Daphne etc), but coming up short on the newer emulators.
The old setup is also running Linux with the Wahcade frontend, which is no longer maintained. I can't get it to run properly anymore.
Attract Mode seems to be the best frontend for Linux, altough i had some problems installing it from the Ubuntu .deb package.
It replaced some files of my os, after that i couldn't install PCSX2 because of unresolvable dependency issues.
So i compiled it from source.
My cab is set up with a 19" (5x4) monitor.
I am currently in the process of converting my old Wahcade layouts to Attract Mode using Attract mode builder.
I prefer using Linux on my cab, because it does exactly wat i want it to do and it doesn't look over your shoulder.

takoni

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2019, 04:00:15 AM »
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 04:02:06 AM by takoni »

asahendrix

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2019, 01:26:36 PM »
Hi! for me.....Raspberry forever.

https://youtu.be/6UHoO6Lha08

and https://youtu.be/-BTjUmI8SLg

This. Looks. Amazing!! You should seriously start a kickstarter campaign and get some sort of patent and sell these things! I'd spend $1,000 for one if I had the money!

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2019, 01:17:34 AM »
Hi! for me.....Raspberry forever.

https://youtu.be/6UHoO6Lha08

and https://youtu.be/-BTjUmI8SLg

That looks awesome! The part i like best is the magnetic side art! What did you use?

takoni

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2019, 04:41:29 PM »
I used vinyl art printed in pixarprint online, then I paste it over soft plastic film and then I used magnetics 1cm*1cm with 3M paste film behind.

Then, in every side of the arcade machine there are a lot of magnetis under the 3mm of wood cover pinged in white.

Sorry for my English , cheers

Sector7e

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2020, 09:40:34 AM »
I was running Windows 10, but I've decided to switch over to PopOS 20.04. The transition is going well so far.

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2020, 02:19:44 AM »
I was running Windows 10, but I've decided to switch over to PopOS 20.04. The transition is going well so far.

Did you have to recompile Attract Mode to make it run under PopOS?

kairowan

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2020, 07:36:47 PM »

I'm wondering if you recompiled it as well. I'm on Pop OS 20.04, and the missing dependencies are giving me a migraine. If there's an easier way, I'd love to know. LOL.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2021, 07:27:28 AM »
PopOS is linux and  ubuntu based so I would think that the ubuntu compile instructions here will do that for you..and it has a list of needed dependencies. One that is missing is libcurl, but it is not needed unless you plan to scrape artwork and such.
People want life easy..then complain about it

rwebb616

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2021, 04:37:35 PM »
I am in the process of trying to get it running on an Odroid XU4 ... I have successfully built the executable and launched it from within X11 but I am trying to figure out how to get it to launch at startup.  I have yet to install RetroArch or the emulators.  Thinking I'll probably install RetroPie on it.  Just need to figure out the launching of AM.

I build and sell bartops so this is one of my builds - I decided to try an ODroid since I heard they are much more performant than a raspberry although I now hear that the Rpi 4 outdoes the odroid so what do I know.  In any case I just want to get my image built so I can get this thing out the door.

Rich

Mark Norville

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2022, 12:19:08 PM »
I am Windows all the way, running mid range second hand PC parts.

I was running an I5-3570K with 8 gigs of ram and five SATA connections running 4 x 8TB (32TB) and 1 x 1 TB SSD

Sadly I am a bit of a collector and 32tb is just not enough hard drive space, so I started looking for another motherboard on ebay with more SATA ports.

I ended up winning an auction for an i7 3770K with 8 gigs of ram and a motherboard with eight SATA ports for £110 tonight.

I picked up the other 8 gigs of ram that he was selling for £12 so I shall now be running 16 gigs on a slightly better CPU.

Yes I know that it is not an ideal PC, it might not be able to run everything, especially PS3 stuff, even though I have had some good results on the old CPU, apart from Skate 3.

However, for basic emulation and some mid range PC stuff then it will do the job. As I am UK born and raised then I am used to 30 FPS so I don't need to play a PC game at ultra high settings and ray tracing and all that jazz.

The next thing on the shopping list is another 8TB hard drive as I just installed a reclaimed one 8TB and already it is pretty full with PS2 so I have 3 TB across four drives to play with at the moment, which is not enough.

I have seen HS sellers boasting a 48TB setup and one thing that I saw was someone saying about 7 TB of media files, and judging by my 1 TB SSD I am not going to have much more room as I am down to 22 gigs, so I don't think upgrading to a 2TB SSD is going to do much good.

I certainly would not call this a hobby any more, more obsession.

Just to add, I got a bargain compared to buying it all separate sellers want £69 just for a MOBO, £90 + for the CPU, and that is just the buy now prices.

I also just brought https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09KGYWLBX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for £13.99 as when I do start building my arcade cabinet, then I want shelfs on the inside so I can sit the motherboard and have hard drive trays or leave them lose. The old computer will end up being used for the Atgames Pinball table once I purchase that.

A massive difference in the loading time of a MAME rom, previously with the I5 I was loading at seven seconds, now with the I7 it is four seconds.

Regards

Mark
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 06:37:51 AM by Mark Norville »
Well I am back a new PC I7 4790K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Windows 10. Hopefully will get delivered at weekend.

Computer Specs : I7 3770K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Win 10
HD Specs : 1 x 1 TB SSD + 4 x 8 TB = 33 TB (fullish)
First system : ZX81 (Yes I am an old fart)
PS Network : MarkNorvile
Xbox : Mark Norville

alantz

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2022, 09:41:32 AM »
I'm not much of a Linux person, but I got it working on Linux Mint MATE edition just fine.

--Alan--