Author Topic: SNES Classic Theme  (Read 32085 times)

qqplayer

• View Profile
Re: SNES Classic Theme
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 09:20:40 AM »
Only one suggestion ,you can use the "SumatraPDF reader" for the manuals  :D

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1927.0

Looks awesome by the way ;)

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 05:56:24 PM »
Does sumatra work with Linux? And according to the website..no. I f you were going to do that you would need to find an open-source reader built cross platform. With it being Windows only you are leaving a LOT of people out of the loop.

Great idea though! :D but people only want umm pi(e) right now..which is linux based...

no I mean it great idea!
People want life easy..then complain about it

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 08:21:05 PM »
Still waiting...

caminiti45

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 09:46:37 AM »
Sorry I put this project in the back burner. It runs so poorly on the pi it's not even funny. It does however work well in a pc, but I don't think too many care about that.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 10:41:16 AM »
I don't agree.

One could say that not too many cares about RPi and emulation - as it introduces a horrible input delay.
Come on - if it works ok on PC you can release it. Just post a warning that it's not suitable for RPi.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 07:55:39 AM »
I have to agree with verion here so it doesn't work on the pi..many of us have a pc...

not to mention the pi4 is rumored to come out at the end of this year...

Dal1980

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2018, 08:39:17 AM »
Yep, another vote here for the PC versions (Both Linux and Windows). There's probably even a MAC user that exist somewhere but they are probably thinking of dumping Apple so probably not worth worrying about them :P

Pi's are great but they are not a substitute for real hardware.

Theme looks really well done. Thanks for teasing everyone ;D :P

dukpoki

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 09:29:43 AM »
I said this somewhere else but a pi is more like a novelty item.  If you are serious about emulation then get a real pc.  IMO pi's are more like a gimmick.  It is so underpowered and limited.  It's only caught on and got popularized because people like shortcuts and/or cheap things. 

Tl;dr Do not base your theme (or anything emulation related) around the pi.  The PC is the main meat and potatoes of emulation.   It should be based on the PC first and foremost, then anything else is secondary and optional (like the pi).

Mike_IronFist

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 08:00:51 PM »
I said this somewhere else but a pi is more like a novelty item.  If you are serious about emulation then get a real pc.  IMO pi's are more like a gimmick.  It is so underpowered and limited.  It's only caught on and got popularized because people like shortcuts and/or cheap things.

Ehh I wouldn't go that far. Just because a platform is or isn't the absolute best for emulation doesn't drive why people write emulators for it, make themes, etc.
The PSP-1000 wasn't the best emulation platform in the world but that didn't stop people from authoring emulators for it, nor did it stop people from playing retro games on it.

I know PCs are the best platform for emulation - I own a gaming PC myself! - but I wouldn't assume OP is working on this to be "serious about emulation," sounds like they're more serious about making their art work within the limitations of the Pi's hardware, because making the Pi do things that are cool is a ton of fun. It's not a popular device because "people like shortcuts;" quite the opposite. It's popular because people love a project and installing Higan on your laptop to play ROMs with cycle accuracy isn't a project.

I have SEGA's Genesis/MegaDrive Classics on Steam and it comes with uncompressed ROMs in the game folder, loadable on any emulator. I could easily play them on my gaming PC or Linux machine with zero issues but making a lil purpose-built box just for Genesis games that can sit somewhere and instantly load up Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a fun project for me. (I also don't mind the input lag too much because input lag for most Genesis emulation in general is a lot less egregious than most SNES emulation.)

dukpoki

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 08:07:17 PM »

Ehh I wouldn't go that far. Just because a platform is or isn't the absolute best for emulation doesn't drive why people write emulators for it, make themes, etc.
The PSP-1000 wasn't the best emulation platform in the world but that didn't stop people from authoring emulators for it, nor did it stop people from playing retro games on it.

I know PCs are the best platform for emulation - I own a gaming PC myself! - but I wouldn't assume OP is working on this to be "serious about emulation," sounds like they're more serious about making their art work within the limitations of the Pi's hardware, because making the Pi do things that are cool is a ton of fun. It's not a popular device because "people like shortcuts;" quite the opposite. It's popular because people love a project and installing Higan on your laptop to play ROMs with cycle accuracy isn't a project.

I have SEGA's Genesis/MegaDrive Classics on Steam and it comes with uncompressed ROMs in the game folder, loadable on any emulator. I could easily play them on my gaming PC or Linux machine with zero issues but making a lil purpose-built box just for Genesis games that can sit somewhere and instantly load up Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a fun project for me. (I also don't mind the input lag too much because input lag for most Genesis emulation in general is a lot less egregious than most SNES emulation.)

All those reasons you mentioned about "doing it for a project...is a ton of fun" is exactly why i said it's a novelty item and nothing more than that.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2018, 10:57:59 AM »
 dukpoki and Mike_IronFist

I agree with both of you. It depends on your use of the item..plain and simple.

If you want to be "serious about emulation" then you use a PC. A PC will run almost anything you throw at it and more. But honestly if you build a dedicated emulation PC out of a PC..well then it is a "gimmick item" as well, just a much more powerful one.

You can be "serious about emulation" with a pi easily and more so. Much easier to carry a pi around than a PC in a box for sure! When it comes to the pi is is not really about the games..it's what you can build with it. That is what the pi was made for..thus why popular.

And..price..granted I can do some searching and find a 50 quid old PC or be given someone's "old junk" and it will be better than the pi. But why? I can spend 50 quid on a machine that is "new". I don't have do find and old IDE HDD or some VGA type monitor to get the old junk to work. And that is my point...people want things simple the pi makes it that way..and so does retropie. People don't want to muck around with windows settings ect ect. As hard core gaming is and gaming PCs are..the smart phone games make up 60% of gamers..NOT the Switch or PS4 or XBox one. most people want plug and play..most people want simple. You can make that with a pi.

Why do you think the NES Mini and SNES mini are so popular? And funny thing about that is?...it's built on a pi type board..and uses emulation to make it work! Same thing we are doing here..and they are making money with it..because that is what people really want. (and yes they can it is their stuff..not going there).

But all that being said...none of it matters. What it comes down to is people want a choice. They will use what they want because of price usability or just want..PERIOD. Because that is the way people are.

As for you caminiti45 you made it for the pi..I get that. Just know there are PC users out there that would like it too I am sure..although that's a BIG SNES mini. xD  Your theme is great don't give up..like i said the pi4 will be out soon..ish. But I understand life and how it works..it gets in the way a lot! I just thought maybe working on the PC side of it might help to get ideas or fix problems on the pi side..you never know. *shrugs* That and this is what open source is about.release your theme and let people look at the code. They might spot some things you miss or have a better way of implementing something then it can get to working as intended. That is up to you though..it's your baby.

Keep it up..and thanks for the hard work and not asking anything in return except maybe a "Hey use this please I made it for you to enjoy" and people using it and a "Thank you". :D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:02:36 AM by akafox »

scmandias

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2018, 12:58:20 PM »
Can this theme be modified to work with the Display Menu? The outer frame and arrowsprite go to the upper left hand corner of the screen. I've tried altering code with little success due to my lack of coding experience. Any help would be appreciated.

caminiti45

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2018, 08:35:44 PM »
I'm sure it could, but I had the same issue. Because of that, I made this: https://youtu.be/W0EP9rSpXmo

SFNMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2018, 09:53:44 AM »
did this nice theme ever get released?

caminiti45

• View Profile