Author Topic: Raspi lirc RC6 IR Remote control OR AutoStart Kodi  (Read 4502 times)

2twisty

• View Profile
Raspi lirc RC6 IR Remote control OR AutoStart Kodi
« on: January 28, 2017, 09:45:50 AM »
I am a long time kodi user that is just getting into retro gaming.

On my Raspi3 Kodi box, I control it with a Microsoft eHome RC6 IR Remote control.

I'd like to do one of 2 things:

Be able to add control inputs into AM from this remote so that I can navigate menus without breaking out the controller or keyboard.  Most notably, so that when AM boots, the wife can pick up the IR Remote and launch Kodi with minimal fiddling with controllers/keyboards/mice, etc.

-- AND/OR --

Configure AM so that when it launches, it jumps right into Kodi (which does work with the RC6 inside Kodi itself)

I've tried searching, and I'm not finding what I'm looking for, perhaps I'm not using the right search terms.

Please advise.

2twisty

• View Profile
Re: Raspi lirc RC6 IR Remote control OR AutoStart Kodi
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 09:47:41 AM »
I should also note that I don't want to boot DIRECTLY into Kodi; I'd like the ability to use the Exit command on Kodi to return to AM for some gaming.

I guess another alternative would be to boot directly to Kodi and then have the ability to launch AM from there.  That would work, too....But I'd need some help setting that up.

2twisty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 01:04:56 PM »
Ugh.  This is proving annoying.  I can't seem to get the keymapping right.  So, Im going to try this from the other side...I'm installing OSMC fresh and will add RetrOSMC and then Attract.

2twisty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 11:10:35 AM »
Success!

I started with a fresh image of OSMC.  I then downloaded the RetrOSMC script, which is just a frontend for the RetroPie setup script.

I installed RetrOSMC (RetroPie) on the machine, then I downloaded and compiled the source for Attract Mode without having to install X.

Then, I copied the configuration files for attract mode from floob's image. However, the default user in OSMC is "osmc," not "pi."  This broke all manner of path references in floob's stuff. So, rather than trudge through all that to change it, I just created a symlink in the /home folder that points "/home/pi" to "/home/osmc." That worked!

Then I had to fight with modifying OSMC's menus to load Attract Mode.  Thankfully, I was able to grab some scripts for RetrOSMC to launch EmulationStation, and modify them to launch Attract Mode.

I am currently taking a snapshot image of this to upload to the InterWebz if people are interested. If there is any interest, I'll post it and more information that the end-user would need in order to get it set up for them.

Let me know if you want it uploaded! 

CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE:

OSMC.TV: They made the OS that this is based on. Aside from tweaking a few lines of XML in the Confluence skin, It's unaltered from stock.

Floob: I would not have been able to put this together as quickly without all the work he (she?) did making their image.  The basically pre-configured copy of Attract Mode made this MUCH easier. The upside to this is that if someone uses this image, they can still use Floob's video waltkthroughs to set it all up.

Mcobit: This is the guy (gal?) who wrote the scripts that launch EmulationStation out of OSMC/Kodi.  Simple scripts, really, but by modifying a script that I KNOW worked, I didn't have to reinvent the wheel.  I give him full credit for these scripts -- I just tweaked them a little bit.

Setti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »
Nice work.

One quick note about Kodi. I discovered Kodi 17 RC1 recently and replaced V16 on my PI. Version 17 adds support for control configuration without needing an additional addon. (I am using it with a Bluetooth Xbox one controller). It also seems to have less issues exiting back to Attract Mode and runs fast as heck.

One word of warning - Make an image of your current setup before installing a new version of Kodi. I have had a kodi install wipe my attract mode setup back to default. (Not version 17.. but updating V16 has)

Here is the link to the post on the Retropi forums that got me set up.

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/6308/testing-kodi-17-release-candidate-1-available-for-retropie

Setti