Author Topic: RETROARCH  (Read 11564 times)

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
RETROARCH
« on: February 26, 2017, 05:28:11 PM »
Will you include a RETROARCH config for an emulator in next release?

akafox

• View Profile
Re: RETROARCH
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »
I have to half agree there. It is a pain to make new configs. However Retroarch configs are different on the pi then a PC. That being said Retroarch for a PC doesn't make a lot of sense..your files can be anywhere. On the pi you use the retropie run scripts..(which I hold more appreciation for now) but the paths are (most of the time) the same.

As retroarch is popular on the pi it is not the only "emulator that works on the pi.

Retroarch may work on a PC but there are far more stand alone options (and some better options) so what would it solve?

That is just my penny though....
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 02:34:41 PM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 12:05:50 PM »
I use Retroarch on the PC for everything but mame...I guess I might be missing out on something. I use relative paths for my windows configs.

Here is my recommendation:
#attractmode is the root directory your drive choice
#addons is a folder inside of attractmode
executable           addons/retroarch/retroarch
args                 -L cores\snes9x_libretro.dll "[romfilename]"
rompath              ..\..\..\attractmode\addons\snes\roms\
romext               .zip
system               snes
info_source          thegamesdb.net
artwork    fanart          ../../attractmode/scraper/snes/fanart
artwork    flyer           ../../attractmode/scraper/SNES/flyer
artwork    marquee         ../../attractmode/scraper/SNES/marquee
artwork    snap            ../../attractmode/scraper/SNES/snap
artwork    wheel           ../../attractmode/scraper/SNES/wheel
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 05:05:57 PM by bionictoothpick »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 02:32:37 AM »
I like RetroArch on all platforms. There's something to be said about standard controls and configurations across all or most of your platforms. There may sometimes be a superior stand alone emulator but usually only when you get to newer systems.

One could also make an argument that now that MAME is merged with MESS, MAME can do the same thing (excluding Pi builds) to provide a single or main emulator.

I don't know why a <retroarch>.cfg in the main build would help. It would need to be modified for each different system for the core and artwork paths. Maybe a simple write up on the specific <retroarch>.cfg per system would be enough. I can provide help if you need it.

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 02:52:09 AM »
I think it was because when I did a fresh install of attractmode, I didn't have the majority of the emulators that had pre-configurations.

As retroarch grows, and the number of cores for each system...I just think one template called retroarch would give new users a starting point.

Dallinj

• Clueless and Proud.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »
I have ti half agree there. It is a pain to make new configs. However Retroarch configs are different on the pi then a PC. That being said Retroarch for a PC doesn't make a lot of sense..your files can be anywhere. On the pi you use the retropie run scripts..(which I hold more appreciation for now) but the paths are (most of the time) the same.

As retroarch is popular on the pi it is not the only "emulator that works on the pi.

Retroarch may work on a PC but there are far more stand alone options (and some better options) so what would it solve?

That is just my penny though....

Bit of a late reply, but I just wanna say that this helped me out SO MUCH. So thank you! You've saved me from a ton of headaches!

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 07:00:23 PM »
MY penny counted for something?!   :o

Does that mean Nintendo doesn't care about rom sites tomorrow either?   ;D

(glad I could help somebody out there!)
People want life easy..then complain about it