Author Topic: multiple categories for the same game  (Read 3257 times)

blinkybill

• View Profile
multiple categories for the same game
« on: December 20, 2020, 05:51:41 AM »
exodos v5 recently came out, and while importing the database to attract mode, i noticed he has multiple genre on most games..
and i got to think about it and realised this is a much better approach.. and AM really doesn't support multiple category very well..
yes, you can have sub-category. like shooter/adventure. but that just mean you need to go through sub menus to narrow down your choice, it's not the same as having the game in both the shooer category and the adventure category.
anyway, i came to ask if someone know of a way it can be done.
TIA.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: multiple categories for the same game
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 07:23:37 PM »
This is already in place as long as your romlists contain the information.

Example of a few lines of one of my romlists
Code: [Select]
#Name;Title;Emulator;CloneOf;Year;Manufacturer;Category;Players;Rotation;Control;Status;DisplayCount;DisplayType;AltRomname;AltTitle;Extra;Buttons
Action 52 (USA) (Unl);Action 52 (USA) (Unl);Nintendo Entertainment System;;1991;Active Enterprises;Platform / Shooter;1;;;;;;;;;
Adventure Island II (USA);Adventure Island II (USA);Nintendo Entertainment System;;1991;Hudson Soft;Action / Adventure;1;;;;;;;;;
Adventures of Bayou Billy, The (USA);Adventures of Bayou Billy, The (USA);Nintendo Entertainment System;;1988;Konami;Action / Racing / Shooter;1;;;;;;;;;

You can see that each of these games has multiple categories (genres) separated by a forward slash (/).

blinkybill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 02:34:25 AM »
that's exactly what i ment by:
yes, you can have sub-category. like shooter/adventure. but that just mean you need to go through sub menus to narrow down your choice, it's not the same as having the game in both the shooer category and the adventure category.

if you choose the Platform category you will not get Action 52, only if you go to Platform / Shooter.
tha'ts a sub-category, not multiple categories.

at least that's how it's working for me... maybe there is something im missing..
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 02:42:00 AM by blinkybill »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 11:05:16 AM »
I'm not sure I understand you. Just make your filter exactly what you want.

Code: [Select]
filter               Platform
rule                 Category contains Platform

This rule will give you any games that have the word "Platform" in the category field regardless of the other things in the category field.

rand0m

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 08:41:12 PM »
that's exactly what i ment by:

if you choose the Platform category you will not get Action 52, only if you go to Platform / Shooter.
tha'ts a sub-category, not multiple categories.

at least that's how it's working for me... maybe there is something im missing..

In above example:

1- Game will be listed once in "All" category
2- Game will be listed in both platform and shooter filters, just make sure that you use "contains" rule when making filters. The game is listed in "platform/ shooter" because filters are not properly set.

The filters are very customizable.

blinkybill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 03:34:37 AM »
yes thank you, my problem was theme related, now i know how to solve it.