Author Topic: Hotkey+F causing emulators to restart  (Read 2699 times)

slowsl

• View Profile
Hotkey+F causing emulators to restart
« on: November 20, 2020, 09:59:04 PM »
On my Rpi3, fairly fresh build, keyboard, not joypad.  I'm modifying my retroarch.cfg found in "configs/all" to suit my buttons and assign some of the hotkeys, and while I tried to assign volume down to the 2P stick down (assigned keyboard button "F" ), it restarts the emulator.  For trial and error purposes, I copied over the stock unedited retroarch.cfg and tried again and it still does the reset.  I can't for the life of me figure out why it's doing that.  Another strange thing is that I can't disable the fast forward hotkey, either with "nul", or # in front of the line.  Am I editing the wrong .cfg for this?  The other changes that were made took effect.  This is the global retroarch.cfg I'm modifying.  Any suggestions?

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
Re: Hotkey+F causing emulators to restart
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 08:45:01 AM »
The master file isn't really a master. Its a default, and some settings you really have to work at changing.

Edit these:
/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
/opt/retropie/configs/EACH_OF_YOUR_CONFIGURED_EMULATORs/retroarch.cfg
/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/YOUR_CONFIGURED_JOYPADS.cfg  /opt/retropie/configs/arcade/retroarch.cfg

I keep track of all the things I have to do with the pi here https://github.com/mahuti/arcadepi that doc may be of some use with other weird and annoying pi things.

slowsl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 11:54:17 AM »
Thanks.  I understand the hierarchy.... global/core/game specific .cfg. files.  Was first trying editing the configs/all/retroarch.cfg, no luck, tried everything.  Deleted the file, restarted, and it made the new file, but was named retroarch.cfg.rp-dist, and I had to manually rename to retroarch.cfg.  the restart glitch was resolved, but then the hotkeys stopped working.  I even restarted to emulation station and setup my inputs again, making sure to bind my hotkey, but still no luck.  It must not be grabbing that .cfg file, the hotkey is clearly bound and enabled in the .cfg file.  There is no info in the autoconfig.cfg, and no files in the joypad folder (using ipac2 as keyboard).  This was extremely easy and clear cut on my old Floob's image, but this is acting very strangely.  I worked around it by opening the retroarch gui from a snes game, made all of my key bind changes and saved.  I then manually copied the .cfg to all of my other systems.  Not the proper way to do it but at least it's all working now, but still won't be able to globally change anything.

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 01:13:07 PM »
I've never had luck changing things globally with RetroPie.

slowsl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 12:25:15 PM »
Okay, I've abandoned modifying it, just using system specific config files now.  Strange thing is I've always used the /configs/all/retroarch.cfg file on my older build with zero problems ever. 

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 04:35:58 PM »
When I said that I've never had luck with the global settings really I meant... I feel like maybe 3 years ago it worked as expected. Last few years though, I've had to do system specific configs. I'd consider it a bug... but I have a feeling that whomever's in charge of the controls system really isn't too worried about arcade-type builds where controls are concerned. If I can't configure a control through emulation station, then it's mindbogglingly difficult to change the simplest stuff.

slowsl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 05:08:13 AM »
When I said that I've never had luck with the global settings really I meant... I feel like maybe 3 years ago it worked as expected. Last few years though, I've had to do system specific configs. I'd consider it a bug... but I have a feeling that whomever's in charge of the controls system really isn't too worried about arcade-type builds where controls are concerned. If I can't configure a control through emulation station, then it's mindbogglingly difficult to change the simplest stuff.

Glad It's not just me, I'm finding everything very finnicky with the latest AM & RP.  From the global config. issues, to not being able to delete or rename items in AM, choppy layout animations, most menu items actions being broken, etc..  I've recently tried compiling AM from scratch, as well as installing from the experimental menu, I'm finding different issues each way I try...  I've worked through most of them, but it has taken way too long to figure out, and some issues I've just given up on or worked around one way or another.  I know they are separate projects though which need to work together in unison, so I don't expect it to be perfect.  I had used Floob's image for about 4 years, which obviously were really old RP & AM versions , but everything worked as it should, never had any issues with configurations. 

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 12:35:04 PM »
I compile AM on the RPI4. The experimental version doesn't work for me... I don't even recall in what way, but through trial and error, I've managed to make some compile instructions that make it pretty painless.

Anyway, the trouble you mentioned with making everything work... that's why I have that massive text doc I keep, so that I can reference my past successes and track them  ;D 

Retropie has some massive deficiencies. The fact that the main file doesn't seem to do much... it's nuts. I don't get it. Anyway, I work around it for now... hoping that the next time I have to do something it just works. RetroPie is so annoying that It would almost be easier to just ditch it and install and configure everything myself, rather than having to keep a list of work arounds and locations for this, that and the other.