Author Topic: macOS Sierra 10.12 / Attract-Mode 2.1.0  (Read 3002 times)

sydenyroo

• View Profile
macOS Sierra 10.12 / Attract-Mode 2.1.0
« on: September 30, 2016, 11:20:32 AM »
Dear community,

I have recently discovered Attract-Mode and have been impressed by the simplicity and the customization options of the application. I have however encountered a problem I am unable to fix. I tried configuring nestopia and I cannot seem to launch any game with select button. The games can be seen as I put them in the default rom directory. I also put the executable Nestopia.app (I did open it and trusted 'unidentified developer') and set executable path accordingly. I tried both $HOME/nestopia/nst and $HOME/nestopia/nst/Nestopia.app in my executable path. I do not believe the culprit to be the wrong path since $HOME/nestopia/roms works for roms but of course I assume nothing.  Did anyone else encounter the issue, or managed to set up the emulator successfully?

Kind regards,
-s.

Edit: I tried putting in the path seen when dropping an executable inside the terminal window (/Users/user/nestopia/nst/Nestopia.app) but it yielded no results.

Edit 2: I tried changing the default button for 'SELECT' but it did not help -- it still displays a brief millisecond "Loading..." red splash screen (I use 'Reflect' layout) when selecting any of the games (I tried launching both .zip and .nes files).

Edit 3: I tried another emulator 'znes'; the results are the same.

Assorted additional notes:
znes source: ZSNES 1.51-3.dmg from http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13432
nestopia source: nestopia-141.dmg from http://www.bannister.org/software/nestopia.htm
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 01:54:38 PM by sydenyroo »

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Re: macOS Sierra 10.12 / Attract-Mode 2.1.0
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 01:59:21 AM »
Maybe you have to dig deeper. Remember that .app is only a folder, and the application itself is inside.
You have to right click on Nestopia.app and choose "Show package content"

And your app (executable) will be somewhere inside - try: Contents > MacOS
and look for a file that says "Unix executable" under the "Kind" description.

And then you have to type a whole path, something like that:
/Applications/Nestopia.app/Contents/MacOS/nestopia

----

Keep in mind that I'm typing it from the top of my head - your actual path propably will be slightly different.

sydenyroo

• View Profile
Re: macOS Sierra 10.12 / Attract-Mode 2.1.0
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 02:23:42 AM »
Edit: I found a temporary solution for Attract-Mode to open "$HOME/nestopia/nst/Nestopia.app/Contents/MacOS/Nestopia":

I had to open Nestopia.app, select any rom and the battery state file creation initializes if none was found beforehand, just confirm.

Edit 2: Now, I would only like to ask if there are perhaps any arguments for Attract.app to open a rom file directly without opening Nestopia.app if at all possible.

---------------------

Hello, verion. Thanks for the reply. I tried the following:

/Users/user/nestopia/nst/Nestopia.app/Contents/MacOS/Nestopia

/Users/user/nestopia/nst/Nestopia.app/Contents/MacOS/Blitter.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Blitter

/Users/user/nestopia/nst/Nestopia.app/Contents/MacOS/CoreEmulator.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CoreEmulator

I also tried the variation of these with "$HOME/" instead of "/Users/user/" (without parentheses).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:55:13 AM by sydenyroo »