Author Topic: Why no GUI for building themes?  (Read 3816 times)

Hojo

• View Profile
Why no GUI for building themes?
« on: March 01, 2017, 02:21:58 AM »
Simple question really. Having an interface which can allow one to build a theme and then export the desired .nut file would be fantastic. It would open up the field to anyone being able to build a theme. the 3ds scene has done this and has benefited greatly as the theme website has over 5000 themes now.

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Why no GUI for building themes?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 05:16:59 PM »
Are you offering?  ;D It takes time (which I myself don't get a lot of for AM). Making a gui create code for a simple layout with some objects positioned wouldn't be too difficult. Ideally though, it's going to allow for creating multiple screens and switching from them, animating objects, adding custom objects like wheels, gui controls, etc.. basically more modules to enhance what a layout can do and make it easier to do it. Some of that stuff doesn't exist yet or is only implemented specifically for one theme. I myself am focused on getting the animations part fixed.. once I can do that, that may be my next project. I have worked on some things behind the scenes to get it in motion though.

Hojo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 08:07:42 AM »
Actually a basic layout program would be what I'm looking for.

While animations would be great, I'm really just interested in getting all the info onto the screen.

Wish I had to time to learn how to program something like this.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 11:15:06 AM »
Actually a basic layout program would be what I'm looking for.

While animations would be great, I'm really just interested in getting all the info onto the screen.

Wish I had to time to learn how to program something like this.

All wysiwyg apps for making websites suck. Why? There is so much flexibility with designing that it's hard to put it all in an app still have it user friendly. Also, the concept if making something for dynamic screen resolutions is exactly that - a concept - which is hard to present visually.

I gave up on wysiwyg development in like the 7th grade. Squirrel is a relatively easy language to learn, and there is great documentation and help here on the forum. Try it and don't be afraid to ask for help. It should be no problem coding a simple layout for yourself.