Author Topic: Unable to make selection in attract-mode with keyboard  (Read 1800 times)

sev_attract

• View Profile
Unable to make selection in attract-mode with keyboard
« on: July 19, 2020, 01:29:01 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new to this retro stuff. I have a raspberry pie three with a wolfonoz 32 gig sd image.  Everything boots up just fine.  I have a keyboard connected to the pie but I cannot make any selections in the menus. 

The only buttons that seem to work on the keyboard are Tab and Esc.  I press Esc to exit Attract-Mode to get into EmulationStation to map my arcade joysticks and buttons but any button I press, it won't select "Yes".

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Ryan1

• View Profile
Re: Unable to make selection in attract-mode with keyboard
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 08:08:32 AM »
The exit button in the attract mode controller settings isn't for exiting an emulator. You need to set up hotkeys in retroarch to get start/select to exit libretro based emulators.

As for removing the option to exit out of attract mode there is a setting somewhere in the menus that you can turn it off. I'm not in front of my machine now so I don't know exactly where but have a look. It's there.

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Unable to make selection in attract-mode with keyboard
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 05:44:43 PM »
As this is a pre-built image you may not get much help here. Images like that can have things changed and funny things added (or deleted).
It is too much of a pain in the tail to trouble shoot them.

Just so you know a standard retropie image can be installed and attract mode installed on that.

As far as i understand you do have to go to emulation station to set up your game pads on first set up. Sounds like the y "ripped" out all the keyboard controls from the attract mode settings. Also sounds like all the "default" buttons have been changed.

Ryan is correct you will have to go into emulation station and load retroarch and setup the buttons from there.

The official retropie image has a script that sets all the buttons correctly when you set up your controller for the first time...this includes emulationstation...but each retroarch (libretro) core as well.
People want life easy..then complain about it