Author Topic: Updated version of Roboskin spinwheel, scales from 1024 to 1080...  (Read 156921 times)

kent79

• View Profile
Re: Updated version of Roboskin spinwheel, scales from 1024 to 1080...
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2015, 08:02:36 PM »
@omegaman

Please confirm one thing, I don't know this theme can do it or not.

Assume we created 3 emulators catalog in system, mame, snes, gameboy.

Then, when press left or right to change system, the  "Logo" picture is keeping "Mame" (default). Could it auto change different logo pictures according system selected? thanks.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 08:10:42 PM by kent79 »

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2015, 11:32:16 PM »
Everything works great.

But...
I think that the screen snap could be slightly (really slightly) rotated right - just to line up horizontal lines with cab bezel.
And after that you could also correct scanlines position - it should be perfectly lined with screen snap, so the scan lines will be levelled with snap horizontal lines.

Gryzor

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2015, 12:06:39 AM »
@kent79

I asked about the same earlier ;)

You can edit the script to add your own systems under the transitions section at bottom of layout.nut.
example below:

case "MAME":
                logo.file_name = "mame.png";
                break;
                case "SNES":
                logo.file_name = "snes.png";
                break;
                case "NES":
                logo.file_name = "nes.png";
                 break;           
                case "GENESIS":
                logo.file_name = "sega.png";
                break;          
             case "kat5200":
                logo.file_name = "atari.png";
                break;          

kent79

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2015, 04:52:51 AM »
@kent79

I asked about the same earlier ;)

You can edit the script to add your own systems under the transitions section at bottom of layout.nut.
example below:

case "MAME":
                logo.file_name = "mame.png";
                break;
                case "SNES":
                logo.file_name = "snes.png";
                break;
                case "NES":
                logo.file_name = "nes.png";
                 break;           
                case "GENESIS":
                logo.file_name = "sega.png";
                break;          
             case "kat5200":
                logo.file_name = "atari.png";
                break;          

Tested. It is OK in latest version. Thanks.

kent79

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2015, 08:34:48 PM »
@omegaman

Could you add light effect for Marquees? It can be easy add a layer for that.  Thanks.  :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:29:15 AM by kent79 »

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2015, 06:39:22 AM »
Added bloom effect to marquee. Per request, I adjusted scan-lines. See post #1 for updated version.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2015, 05:32:51 AM »
I was testing roboskin today and came across two things that potentially could be changed (hopefully for better :) ).

FLYER
Right now the flyer is scaled "fit to screen", but I would like it to be "fit to screen width, keep aspect ratio" or "fit to screen height, keep aspect ratio" whatever looks better - how can I change that? Flyers are usually in portrait and "fit to screen" is too much stretched for me

LIST BOX
is there (hopefully) an easy way to change list box to show wheel graphics not only for current/selected game, but also for the all other game titles? Similar to the wheel list.

I've also found a small bug:

there is no text (game info at the bottom) when in window mode. In fill screen mode everything is ok, but it dissapears in window mode

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »
Verion-

To keep the aspect ratio, go to line 52 and change "flyer.preserve_aspect_ratio = false;" to true. Actually, I was thinking about removing the flyer all together or doing some animation with it. So, I am open to ideas.

As for the listbox, it's meant to be a simple text list. I just do some tricks to display the wheel art for the selection. To create a vertical wheel list you need different code and modules, so you would essentially eliminate the listbox altogether. You just have to approach it in a different way if that makes sense.

I will look into the game info thingy. But, I don't understand why anyone would want to be in window mode unless they have no choice.       

Oh! How do you like the bloom effect to give the impression of a lighted marquee?

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2015, 04:11:13 PM »
> I was thinking about removing the flyer all together or doing some animation with it. So, I am open to ideas.

I'm currently working on a theme with heavily stylised (scanlines, color overlay, shadow mask) flyer/artwork as a centerpiece - looks promising, I'll post a mockup in a few days.
As for the animation - my favorite is "Ken Burns effect" - basically slowly zoom-in and pan. It looks gorgeous and not too flashy at the same time.
Ideal for background imagery.

> [listbox] You just have to approach it in a different way if that makes sense.

Makes sens :) It can be done, but not by simple tweaks to this code.

> I don't understand why anyone would want to be in window mode unless they have no choice.   

I'm using window mode to test how the theme looks like in 4:3 (because I have 16:10), but there is really no need to fix this since it is not real-use-case scenario.

> Oh! How do you like the bloom effect to give the impression of a lighted marquee?
I like the idea, but it doesn't look good for me right now - looks like overexposured.
Maybe you could use 2 copies of marquee - first normal "sharp" image and on top of it the same image (but blurred with that bloom effect) on low opacity. That's how I'm "building" light effects in photoshop. This way you can have best of both worlds - sharp image with normal colors and nice additional light "glow/halo".
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:54:41 PM by verion »

buckyshimp

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2015, 09:04:34 PM »
First of all, Omegaman- This theme is why I've been obsessed with AM for the past week. It's amazing. Thank you!

I'm having one issue, and I have one suggestion.

First, only with the Robospin theme, videosnaps do not run at initial startup. I hear sound, but just the static "static" screen shows. Once I go into the menu and change any setting, the videos begin playing perfectly upon exiting the menu. I'm on OSX. Again, videos start perfectly in other themes.

The only suggestion that I would make for a future revision, is that when I hold to scroll on the wheel it stops at the last game rather than continuing.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2015, 06:10:54 AM »
Bucky-

Thanks man... On initial start, what happens if you select a different game? Is there still no video unless you change something in options? I don't have OSX to test on but there are some other mac users here like Verion. Though, this is the first time of hearing about this issue.   

As far as holding down scroll, I'm not sure if I can do anything about that, but I'll look into it.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2015, 06:44:37 AM »
Hmmm... I've just noticed that I can't see any videos in roboskin (or any other themes) any more - only screenshots.
Strange... it was perfectly ok a few days ago.

After some investigation - it turns out that I have to put videos in SNAP folder in order to play it in AM.
I've just recently moved my videos to VIDEO folder - but added path to emulator settings so everything should be ok.
Even more - i've added VIDEO path to the snap settings just in case - but it doesn't help. This is strange.

But with videos in SNAP folder - everything plays right from the AM start.

ps: I'm on OSX 10.10.5 with latest AM build from here http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=289.0

buckyshimp

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2015, 09:47:20 AM »
Bucky-

Thanks man... On initial start, what happens if you select a different game? Is there still no video unless you change something in options? I don't have OSX to test on but there are some other mac users here like Verion. Though, this is the first time of hearing about this issue.   

As far as holding down scroll, I'm not sure if I can do anything about that, but I'll look into it.

Thanks on both fronts. If I'm the only one experiencing the problem, please don't stress it. I'll tinker and let you know if I learn anything. To answer your question, changing games does not initiate video. Only changing a setting in the Layout Options. A setting does have to be changed, so if I enter the Layout Options menu, change nothing, and exit, the videos continue to not play. Once I switch anything (scanlines for example), the videos pop right up upon menu exit.

No worries about the scroll.

Thanks again for Roboskin in general. Its a showpiece for my friends and they all want it after they see it.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
You can try one things that helped me with a layout related problem that showed up after I've upgraded AM to the next version.

I couldn't change layout in MENU > DISPLAY > LAYOUT until I deleted
"org.attractmode.attract.savedState" folder under ~/Library/Saved Application State
After that - everything was ok.

---

How to do this?

open terminal
paste the code below and press RETURN/ENTER

Code: [Select]
rm -r ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/org.attractmode.attract.savedState
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 03:05:50 AM by verion »

buckyshimp

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2015, 08:22:37 PM »
Thanks for the idea Verion- I gave it a shot, but no luck. Very cool to offer a solution, though... I will let you guys know if I can solve it