Attract-Mode Support > Scripting

Question about carrier.nut image sizing.

<< < (2/3) > >>

zpaolo11x:

--- Quote from: keithcorcoran on January 16, 2019, 07:24:16 PM ---that said, is there a way to keep AM from antialiasing when it scales to screen size?

--- End quote ---

Sure, just use the code:

--- Code: ---picture.smooth = false
--- End code ---

and anti-aliasing is disabled.

--- Quote ---Unsure if I should design my theme at 320x240 or 640x480 (in case I am outputting HDMI to VGA to CGA - my least preferred option)

Since NTSC is '525 lines'  I don't knwo what that ends up being in pixels for purposes of creating a theme that appears as hard pixels without antialiasing.

--- End quote ---

NTSC is 525 lines including overscan and interlacing, I don't know how the output to a CRT is managed in your setup but this is tricky stuff since AFAIK NTSC doesn't even have square pixels. If you plan to run your games at 1:1 resolution on a CRT monitor you may try and force the layout to be that exact resolution. I'm also aware that most consoles use a trick to force CRTs to not use interlacing and instead draw two low resolution frames at 60 Hz, but I don't know if this is the case for arcades too.

keilmillerjr:
Attractmode runs full screen. It will match your “desktop” resolution. If you hard set a resolution, it will stretch it. This can be an issue if you stretch a surface larger, not so much going smaller. I don’t declare layout dimensions, and use percentages for everything. My helpers module has a function for aspect ratios too. Just need to make sure you have room for overscan and text large enough. This is just my method. More than one way to accomplish same goal.

zpaolo11x:

--- Quote from: keilmillerjr on January 17, 2019, 12:25:19 AM ---I don’t declare layout dimensions, and use percentages for everything.

--- End quote ---

I do something similar: I designed my layout on a 1920x1200 screen, I declared all sizes in pixels for that resolution but then I apply a scaling factor taking the actual screen resolution into account. Which ends up being the same thing as using percentages I guess...

I'm wondering if all this percentages/scaling stuff is actually needed since AM scales anyway for the actual screen size, but it allows me to do some rough testing of how it will look on lower resolutions staying fullscreen.

But I think the OP is interested in avoiding scaling to get a "pixel perfect" theme at native screen resolution which, AFAIK, can be obtained just by using the same screen size as fe.layout.width and fe.layout.height

keilmillerjr:
It could be needed. Hard setting a resolution will stretch, but maintain aspect ratio. Look at attract-man layout on a wide screen. It maintains close to a 4:3 ratio. Using percentages, I can have a more fluid/responsive layout.

mvscomplete theme before the latest commits (positioning will be fixed on next holiday, but mini marquees stay in aspect) maintains certain things in 4:3 format, but other objects like video snap can stretch to monitor width. Hard setting layout settings and object positioning for my 2011 iMac would fuck things up for my crt’s, and vice versa.

zpaolo11x:

--- Quote from: keilmillerjr on January 17, 2019, 01:27:14 AM ---It could be needed. Hard setting a resolution will stretch, but maintain aspect ratio.
Look at attract-man layout on a wide screen. It maintains close to a 4:3 ratio. Using percentages, I can have a more fluid/responsive layout.

--- End quote ---

Completely agree. My Arcadeflow layout keeps the vertical spacing of items intact while changing aspect ratio, so basically a larger screen simply means more room for side thumbnails. I like responsive layouts :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version