Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Image for Pi2, Pi3 and Pi4 - with RetroPie  (Read 523484 times)

efraimsangil

• View Profile
Re: Raspberry Pi Image for Pi 2 and Pi 3
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2016, 08:50:10 AM »
I did a test and I wanted to share with you the results.

I tried the image Floob and have noticed that the network is slow and lag. ES restart are slow, almost 3 minutes to just 1000 roms.

I tested the image of Retropie 3.7 and is much faster everything. I put the AM using X Windows and the same image and go very fast.

Now, I have not been able to have AM without X Windows.

Compilations of SFML-pi and Attract Mode makes correctly but then get this message:

Code: [Select]
pi@retropie:~ $ attract
Starting Attract-Mode v2.0.0 (Linux)
Config: /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg

*** Initializing display: 'MAME 2010'
 - Loaded master romlist 'MAME 2010' in 19 ms (1152 entries kept, 0 discarded)
 - Constructed 2 filters in 15 ms (2304 comparisons)
AL lib: (WW) alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backend "pulse"
Failed to open X11 display; make sure the DISPLAY environment variable is set correctly
Aborted

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2016, 09:47:15 AM »
@ Nitrogen - does dietpi image run allot smoother with less resource than the raspbian with am etc

I haven't tried Floobs image yet since i'm still fooling with my Diet-PI image.
Outside of X there should not be a difference at all.

Inside X i'm not sure. It depends on what is installed by default.
Diet-PI with X uses up maybe 25mbs of memory.
I'm using retroarch and the curved screen shaders for mame with 2003 & mame-4-all (apparantly altered beast doesn't work in 2003) >:(
Retroarch doesn't seem to care about X.

If I was using advmame with a CRT i'd be 100% non-X for AM.

Floob

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2016, 12:05:02 PM »

I tried the image Floob and have noticed that the network is slow and lag. ES restart are slow, almost 3 minutes to just 1000 roms.

I tested the image of Retropie 3.7 and is much faster everything. I put the AM using X Windows and the same image and go very fast.

Compilations of SFML-pi and Attract Mode makes correctly but then get this message:

Failed to open X11 display; make sure the DISPLAY environment variable is set correctly
Aborted

The only delay I put in is here, and you can take that sleep command out if you want. Its just to get around keyboard issues I had in AM.
/etc/profile.d/10-emulationstation.sh

It boots (on a Pi 2 and 3) in about 20secs or so for me - ES will take longer if you have more roms / large gamelist.xml files.

What happens on my image if you dont have any roms (like a clean 3.7) and take the sleep command out?

RetroPie Help Guides: https://goo.gl/3gcNsT

efraimsangil

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2016, 05:36:23 AM »

Aborted

The only delay I put in is here, and you can take that sleep command out if you want. Its just to get around keyboard issues I had in AM.
/etc/profile.d/10-emulationstation.sh

It boots (on a Pi 2 and 3) in about 20secs or so for me - ES will take longer if you have more roms / large gamelist.xml files.

What happens on my image if you dont have any roms (like a clean 3.7) and take the sleep command out?

Sorry for late...

Now I am trying your artwork image :)

At the moment I have noticed that is very slow file transfer network.

When finished, I will try the speed of ES and AM.

weller96c

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2016, 08:49:52 AM »
Hi All,

Just wanted to say thanks to Floob and progets
I've used the v4 of the Floob image to setup my Attract Mode running on a Pi 3

Some photos of the build here
Cheers

efraimsangil

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2016, 10:29:57 AM »
Hi All,

Cheers

Looks great :)

How did you put in the marquee emulators logos?  ;D

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:32:01 AM by efraimsangil »

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2016, 11:05:48 AM »

Just put a .jpg or .png file with the name of your emulator in your Marquee directory for that emulator.

efraimsangil

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2016, 11:26:33 AM »

Just put a .jpg or .png file with the name of your emulator in your Marquee directory for that emulator.

But... So I need to remove the marquee roms games? Because now I have mame.png, etc

weller96c

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 11, 2016, 12:31:05 PM »
Hi All,

Cheers

Probably not the simple option but I ran a command to export all the file names of the roms for each console I was using to get a list.
Then used a logo for each console (if I could find a transparent background one I would) Then copied the image to the Marquee folder and repeat copied it for the amount of roms so had the same image X amount of times and exported a list of these file names
Then ran a batch script which renamed each logo file to the rom name one after another to get a full list of marquee files for each rom...

Hope I explained that??? Sounds complicated, it wasn't really, I can share the scripts and process in detail if that's allowed and people want the info. Cheers :)

efraimsangil

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 11, 2016, 12:42:08 PM »
Hi All,

Cheers

Probably not the simple option but I ran a command to export all the file names of the roms for each console I was using to get a list.
Then used a logo for each console (if I could find a transparent background one I would) Then copied the image to the Marquee folder and repeat copied it for the amount of roms so had the same image X amount of times and exported a list of these file names
Then ran a batch script which renamed each logo file to the rom name one after another to get a full list of marquee files for each rom...

Hope I explained that??? Sounds complicated, it wasn't really, I can share the scripts and process in detail if that's allowed and people want the info. Cheers :)

I fully understand the process. Thank you.  ;) It's a very good idea.

I have the complete list of roms and data from mame. I got a mame.xml of HyperSpin, then I'm import it to the AM and then that AM file ([Emulator].txt) cross to MY file using Bash Script to get all the data MY roms (date, description, etc).

But I think it's very complicated to put the same marquee for all roms.

There should be an option in AM to put a fixed marquee for each emulator or use marquee's roms.

Thanks a lot! ;D

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 11, 2016, 07:24:06 PM »
@efraimsangil & weller96c - Read Finheads post just above. As he mentions, you can simply place one file per system in the marquee folder of each system to do this (the file name needs to match your emulator name). There is no need for many files or the files to match the game names. You're doing way more work then what is required to get that effect.

You can also use the wheel art for the marquee and place the game system logo on the side of the arcade. To do this just put the system logo file in /home/pi/.attract/layouts/robospin(or robospinbeta)/slogos/ folder and make sure its file name matches your emulators name. Below is an example of this.

I'll also mention that you could have better romlist information on the systems you added which would include the manufacture logo, genre logo, year and cleaner looking game name (like you see above) if you wanted. This can be accomplished by making sure your connected to the internet when generating the romlist and have the correct entries in your emulator.cfg file such as:

system               Nintendo 64
info_source          thegamesdb.net

system               Sega 32X
info_source          thegamesdb.net

Having the genre data in your romlists will also allow you to build filters based on genre.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:10:19 PM by progets »

Omamez

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2016, 07:40:56 PM »
Yes I agree with Nitro - one marquee per system that's what I have done and it works with omegaman and nevato

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2016, 08:32:35 PM »
Is it wrong to be lazy and just want an image posted with everything but the roms?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2016, 09:17:57 PM »
Is it wrong to be lazy and just want an image posted with everything but the roms?

It's not wrong but it is very optimistic. Floobs latest image includes all the MAME artwork which is close. I really don't see how someone could provide an image with all the artwork for other systems but without the roms since everyone's roms will be named differently. MAME is the only system that the roms will always have consistent names for everyone.

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 11, 2016, 09:37:19 PM »

But... So I need to remove the marquee roms games? Because now I have mame.png, etc

Actaully it's about as simple as it gets, here I'll make it easy for you. Here is a pic of one of my Marquee folders in one of my emulators.
Save a PNG or JPG with the same name as your emultor, In the case AdvMAME. IF there is any missing artwork or if it will use it, or if you would rather have just one for the system (AdvMAME in this case) only put the Emulator PNG or JPG in the folder.

Now point your frontend to the folder in your emulator setup, in my case it looks like this.

"artwork    marquee         /home/pi/.attract/scraper/AdvMAME/marquee"

Easy.