Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Image for Pi2, Pi3 and Pi4 - with RetroPie  (Read 523585 times)

Floob

• View Profile
Re: Raspberry Pi Image for Pi 2 and Pi 3
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2016, 04:22:31 AM »
I think I'll make sure that my build continue to support X and non-x so users can choose, but I'll gear it for non-x to better support RetroPie.
RetroPie Help Guides: https://goo.gl/3gcNsT

Omamez

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2016, 04:47:55 AM »
@floob - so your 0.3 supports both?

efraimsangil

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2016, 05:53:54 AM »
I think I'll make sure that my build continue to support X and non-x so users can choose, but I'll gear it for non-x to better support RetroPie.

I am with you, I think that... this is the best option :)

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2016, 10:42:20 AM »
@Floob

Great job with the image!

I have a question regarding your to-do list item "Pre-install Kodi".
What's your agenda with this? Are you planning to have Kodi just in case, or boot straight into Kodi?

I'm asking because I'm planning to have a Kodi install with the ability to run AM as game launcher.
It will complement one of my hardware project - RPi media player case - www.ONYXcase.com

I'm planning to make Kodi skin (or modify existing one) and create matching AM theme. I'm of course aware that there are dedicated game launchers for Kodi - but I simply prefer to use AM.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2016, 11:10:52 AM »
@senkun - I've gotten this to work now but thanks for asking. My issues were with the dependencies on the new SFML-pi page, they weren't enough. I also had SFML fail only because of the readme.txt missing so I copied readme.md to readme.txt.

After I got it working I'm not sure if I'll use the non-x version. In x mode, I don't see any text between the game launch and game quit. In non-x mode I see the background text, though it's only for a second. Maybe there's a way to hide it in non-x mode.

I was also hoping that the non-x mode would help me launch Kodi from a HyperSpin theme by using the runcommand. It hasn't so far. I can launch and run it from either mode but I can hear the AM theme playing in the background and also can't properly quit back to AM.

The biggest benefit to non-x mode would be advmame (and maybe some other non-retroarch emulators) and the runcommand options. I don't really care about either of those. I use the command line to build mixed emulator/system lists (ex. attract --import-romlist mame-fba.txt --import-romlist mame-2003.txt --import-romlist mame-2010.txt --output mame-mixed.txt) so the runcommand really is more of an annoyance. I have AM set to boot and shutdown with no GUI option to go to RetroPie. The only time you ever see any text or command line from boot to play to shutdown is when you leave AM and it shuts down for a second or two. It's very clean and non-computer looking.

Do I even dare to ask if you would share your build?  ;D

I don't have a sharable image. My build isn't user friendly and I can't distribute roms or artwork from others. If you have access to the HyperSpin and EmuMovie resources I can share my configuration files and/or explain anything I've done.

Floob's image is made to be flexible for everyone to use. It's really the best place to start if you don't want to build from scratch.

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2016, 11:31:48 AM »
I havn't gotten around to this yet.
Has anyone run killer instinct on the RPI 3 outside of X on advancmame .94 yet?
It was slow motion on the RPI2 and in X on RPI3 at native res in a window.

Floob

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2016, 12:20:27 PM »
@floob - so your 0.3 supports both?

Yes, thats right. But will boot into non-x.

Floob

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2016, 12:22:05 PM »
@Floob

Great job with the image!

I have a question regarding your to-do list item "Pre-install Kodi".
What's your agenda with this? Are you planning to have Kodi just in case, or boot straight into Kodi?

Planning just to have Kodi pre-installed, but to keep the auto boot into AM.

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2016, 01:03:20 PM »
If anyone is interested in setting up daphne with the new v0.3 image I posted a quick tut on how to do so. Feedback on that would be great, if I need to change/add anything.  http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=750.0 

Roverius

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2016, 01:45:51 PM »

First, thanks for this build.

But, when i  generate ROM list, it takes a long time and it seems he scans inside the zip-files.
Is this normal? and is the list generated according the files inside the zip-files?

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2016, 02:30:41 PM »

First, thanks for this build.

But, when i  generate ROM list, it takes a long time and it seems he scans inside the zip-files.
Is this normal? and is the list generated according the files inside the zip-files?

What emulator? What is your Rom Extension?

Omamez

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2016, 03:21:57 PM »
@Progets - not after any roms or art work as I have been emu and hyperspin member for while now for my hyperspin/rocket launcher pc setup.

@Verion and Floobs - you can use advance launcher plugin to launch AM from kodi also there is RPI image for retroplayer which plays games from kodi by the kodi team still in development some libretrocores need sorting

also this https://github.com/sdt/kodi-emulationstation-launcher
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:26:40 PM by Omamez »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2016, 05:19:22 PM »
@Omamez - You can download my configuration at ftp://www.progets.com/attract.7z. I made a ReadMe.txt to explain how/why things are setup. There is also a short, poorly made video to see what it looks like at ftp://www.progets.com/Pi.mp4.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 05:24:20 PM by progets »

Omamez

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2016, 11:28:29 PM »
thanks allot Progets, I will try it on spare 32gb sd card can i ask are you using separate usb for vids and artworks or all on 64gb sd micro card

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2016, 12:12:42 AM »
If you want to use HyperSpin themes you need them to be in the .attract/layout/Media folder to work. This makes using a USB drive more challenging but not impossible. I don't use a USB drive but if you did you would need to either move your entire build (minus the boot partition) to the USB stick or use symbolic links so the folders look like they are on the SD Card.

A couple other thoughts...
- you can fit a ton of stuff on a 32 GB SD card (including artwork & vids)
- a 64 GB card will give you the space if you want a full mame set or a lot of PS1 or Dreamcast games (including artwork & vids)
- you might consider keeping your artwork on the SD card and move your larger roms (or maybe all roms) to a NAS or another PC that is always on and access them over the network

My personal HyperSpin build doesn't use any game specific themes or artwork directly from HyperSpin. I only use the "Default.zip" themes and the Wheel artwork from HyperSpin (and the same for the HyperSpin "Main Menu"). This keeps the size much smaller and a lot of the per game themes don't display well in AM at this point. All the other folders I populate with the media I download from EmuMovies using their tool so the names all match. Some of my HyperSpin videos were too hi-res for AM. The "Video_MP4" videos from EmuMovies seem fine (this might be fixed in the non-x version of AM on Pi, I haven't tried) but either way will also take up less space.

EmuMovies Downloads-->My folder structure under /layouts/Media/<system>/
Advert-->Flyer
Marquee-->Marquee (MAME/FBA)
Banner-->Marquee (anything not MAME/FBA)
Box-->Box
Snap-->Snap
Video_MP4-->Video

X:\HyperSpin\Media\<system>\-->My folder structure under /layouts/Media/<system>/
Images\Wheel-->/layouts/Media/<system>/Images/Wheel
Themes\Default.zip-->/layouts/Media/<system>/Themes/Default.zip

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:53:14 AM by progets »