Author Topic: hiding ubunto toolbar in attact mode?  (Read 7509 times)

Bsoder52

• View Profile
hiding ubunto toolbar in attact mode?
« on: April 19, 2015, 09:19:38 AM »
I can't seem to figure out how to hide the Ubunto side control pane launch icons (toolbar) when in the attract mode game slection screen for mame.  Must be able to hide them somehow?  thanks for any help!

akafox

• View Profile
Re: hiding ubunto toolbar in attact mode?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 12:39:55 PM »
Honestly bsober there may not be a way with unity. I'll look into it though. I went with Lubuntu for my set up because the dektop doesn't eat as much resources as unity does (Unity and KDE take the most resources to run). I installed the openbox desktop window manager in my ubuntu. I was able to hide everything with a little tweaking. Been a while..but I'll take a look at my configuration and get back with you. I do have a git hub post I made..although I don't remember where it is at the moment. When i was done you never saw that it was even running a computer.
People want life easy..then complain about it

Bsoder52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 02:30:27 PM »
Dude what haven't you done in Linux!!???!
:)

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 08:45:18 PM »
Warning this is long and kinda technical! Use at your own risk! I am NOT responsible for ANY damages!

Ok so here is how I did it. Although I can't test it at the moment..I keep getting an error..(grr..updates are NOT suppose to break things!..if that is what caused it.) This was a post I made some time ago (not here). Read it all the way through first:

As you need X Windows to run mame if you want to use a frontend (other than advancemenu) then you need a GUI. Thing is a GUI eats up resources and when you are using a low ram/cpu combo for your mame cab it can be vital to have as much as you can! I was using lubuntu. The desktop environment takes up ram and is hard to hide. It is based on Openbox though so I found out that you can do this to start directly into Attract-Mode:

Go to /home/(your user name)/.config/openbox and create a new document
this is what I have in mine:
#set background
#start attract mode

xsetroot & <- this "blacks the screen (background)
attract <- this starts attract-mode

(you can add other things too but that just makes a simple one to start.) Save the file as 'autostart' My "cab" starts right into attract mode (and starts antimicro) I never see any desktop environment at all! :)
I tried to change the boot logo so that you don't see "lubuntu" on start up but I just managed to delete it..but at least it's blank! lol hope this helps someone!

More details to help you newbies:
From your package manager look for 'openbox'. Install that and let it install any dependencies if it needs to . After it is installed log out of your desktop. Somewhere (depends on your version of Linux) you can switch desktops. Do so and now log in. With openbox you will see VERY LITTLE that is the point of it. Right click on the desktop. You'll see "terminal emulator" on the top of the context list. Choose that and the terminal will open. At the prompt type "cd .config/openbox" (notice the dot in front of config!) press enter. Once there type 'nano autostart'. In nano type or copy this:

Code: [Select]
#set background
#start attract mode

xsetroot &
attract

Now press ctrl x, then Y, next type autstart for a file name (if it's not there already) last press enter. It should save and you'll be back at the prompt. Now restart linux. When it starts attractmode should come up and you'll never see the desktop.

Now I know there are easier ways in fact i was told that:

It's actually easier than that, and you don't need to install a window manager (like openbox).
Minimal install X11 with the xinitrc package (different for each distro).

$ echo "exec attract" > ~/.xinitrc
$ startx

It was closed before I could answer. Yes that may work. I tired that before I posted this (even openbox takes up resources) However I got MANY errors and AM never loaded (it cried about no openal) also it made MAME run slow as dirt.

Any gripes or problems let me know As always share any better (easier) ideas guys or tell me I am full of it or whatever ;) Oh! and more can be found here http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/howto/autostart_programs (Yes it will work for this..it's still linux no matter what flavor/distro it is.)

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 11:29:03 PM »
I can't seem to figure out how to hide the Ubunto side control pane launch icons (toolbar) when in the attract mode game slection screen for mame.  Must be able to hide them somehow?  thanks for any help!

Hi Bsoder52, in the configuration "General" settings, try changing "Window Mode" to "Fullscreen Mode"...

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 05:30:49 AM »
True..never thought of that..the side bar would be the bottom bar in kde or lxde I guess huh? My oversight..leave it to me to make it complicated...besides..he asked how to hide the side bar..not how to start it automatically..that was the other thread...I'll get it together someday..lol
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:56:33 PM by akafox »

Bsoder52

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 08:24:43 PM »
Nothing wrong with having more than one way to skin a cat!  Thanks guys!!!

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 09:57:11 PM »
No problem that is what we are here for.