Author Topic: Rom filename instead of game name?  (Read 8230 times)

keeplit

• View Profile
Rom filename instead of game name?
« on: April 23, 2015, 06:25:55 AM »
Hi! I'm setting up a arcade machine for a friend and am using Attract Mode as the FE. My problem is this - I can't find a way to get the game names to show up in the list instead of the rom file names. The first 10 or so show up with the actual game title but the rest just show the rom file name without the .zip at the end. I have the paths and everything all set up correctly as far as I can tell, and mame makes the xml file fine. The only thing I can think of is that I am using mame 0.84 because the PC he is using is fairly old, would that make this problem?

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Rom filename instead of game name?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 06:42:46 AM »
They changed how the listxml in mame somewhere around that time. First I am going to assume you are on Windows? It would be nice to know all that so we can better help you. What version Of Windows are you using? How much RAM and CPU? I have and old PC myself I made into a cocktail table. When I made it Attract mode wasn't out yet. I am still using MALA (and old version) it a 400Mhz with 128MB ram on Windows 98 and i can run mame 1.08.
People want life easy..then complain about it

keeplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 06:58:25 AM »
Yep, windows xp sp3. The PC is a 2.4ghz p4 with 1gb. I'm using mame 0.84 because the romset was only £10 from a rom burner, the full set of newer mames is too expensive for the person I am doing it for and neither of us want to download something that huge, he's only really interested in stuff that runs well on 84 anyway.

I have set up mala on his machine but it's not as nice or fast as AM, scrolling through the lists is really slow and it doesn't hide the OS as well (cmd windows pop up and all that). It does show the titles and not the rom names though!

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 07:28:17 AM »
Well hardware and Os are not a problem.

Ok could you post your attract mode mame.cfg please. I tested it myself with the version you are asking about..it worked fine..but I don't have a full set either. I lost my set of .84 years ago.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:46:30 AM by akafox »

keeplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:31:21 AM »
This is the mame config file:

Code: [Select]
# Generated by Attract-Mode 1.5.1
#
executable           c:\mame\mame.exe
args                 [name]
rompath              c:\mame\roms
romext               .zip;.7z
info_source          mame
import_extras        catver.ini
artwork    flyer           c:\mame\flyers
artwork    marquee         
artwork    snap            c:\mame\snap
artwork    wheel           

The strange thing is that all the games with a number at the start show their full title, games that start with letters all show rom file names.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 02:23:24 PM »
Everything looks fine. Ok so 1941 says "1941"..but Donkey Kong shows "dkong"? That's odd..really odd..works fine for me. From the looks of it you should have no problems. Umm going out on a limb here...use a capital C on the drive letter not a lower-case c..I think XP is case sensitive. That seems weird but try it. Also try taking the ;.7z off the end on your extension. Also for your catver.ini try the complete path just to be safe. (That's how I have mine set up....)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:10:31 AM by akafox »

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 10:27:13 PM »
My guess is that something is different in the mame xml output you are getting due to the old version, and that is screwing up attractmode which is looking for a newer format.  I'll check if it is something that can be easily fixed.

In the interim you could try using a newer version of mame just while generating the romlist, and then once you have the list switch back to the mame version you want??

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 07:41:52 AM »
That's just it Ray. I did that myself same version same OS. Everything came out just fine. I don't think it is AM at all or the xml..but I could be wrong.