Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Focused - SimplePi Theme  (Read 7738 times)

grippie

• View Profile
Raspberry Pi Focused - SimplePi Theme
« on: January 10, 2017, 08:12:50 PM »
I wanted to leverage all of the nice videos that i acquired when i built my bartop so i switched from ES to AM. The problem that I found was that the performance was pretty sluggish on most of the nicer themes, even on a Pi 3. I wanted to make my own that removed all of the heavy lifting of the transitions and heavy code.

I did find that I had to downgrade all of my videos to 30fps to get them to run properly on the Pi. I paid for a subscriptions to emumovies to get the 480p movies, however they are 60fps. Most old games ran at 30fps anyways so no biggie they still look really good.

I am working on a dynamic positioning of the boxart (as you can see with the super nintendo, i need to reposition and shrink it a bit). I haven't found anything that works just yet with detecting the boxart size and calculating the top left corner based on the width/height of the differing systems boxart sizes. something like dividing the height of the screen in half for Y and subtracting half of the artwork height but it doesn't seem to work this way.
boxart.y = flh/2 - boxart.texture_height/2;

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:16:30 PM by grippie »

ptiwee

• View Profile
Re: Raspberry Pi Focused - SimplePi Theme
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 11:55:51 PM »
Hi grippie,

Have you noticed the note in the documentation ?
Each call to texture_height should be placed in a callback function since the picture is not loaded before (texture_height is equal to 0).
Also if you resized your picture it seems that you have to compute the ratio yourself.

I hope it helps :)

grippie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 07:21:01 AM »
Hi grippie,

Have you noticed the note in the documentation ?
Each call to texture_height should be placed in a callback function since the picture is not loaded before (texture_height is equal to 0).
Also if you resized your picture it seems that you have to compute the ratio yourself.

I hope it helps :)

Thanks yea i did see that and assumed that was my issue since im using maintain aspect ratio and the true size ( not scaled). Was hoping there would be a way to dynamically place based on size since someone else might have different size boxarts. 

I thought about just doing an

If (fe.game_info(Info.System) == "Super Nintendo")
// set x and y coords

ptiwee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 08:06:50 AM »
I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.
Maybe you can simply use fixed width and fixed height, and use preserve_aspect_ratio to keep the flyer inside a centered box? Or you want the SNES flyers to be wider than then other ones ?

grippie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 06:51:12 PM »
I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.
Maybe you can simply use fixed width and fixed height, and use preserve_aspect_ratio to keep the flyer inside a centered box? Or you want the SNES flyers to be wider than then other ones ?

Ahh genius. I didn't realize that setting a static width + height as a "bounding box" with aspect_ratio = true would give me what I want. Thanks!

scout43

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 08:20:17 AM »
Hey grippie!

do you have a working copy of this theme? I have been looking for something just like this for my RPI. Thanks!

Freakadude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »
Looks nice and clean.

clewis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 09:04:14 AM »
Looks amazing!

nyislanders91

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 10:48:37 PM »
Is this theme available? ? Looks fantastic.  Great work.