Author Topic: Attract Mode, MAME, Windows 7: Some games won't load, except in specific cases  (Read 2809 times)

LynnInDenver

• View Profile
Running out of basic ideas. For the basics:

I've been using Hyperspin in prep for a MAME cabinet build. I've decided to switch over to Attract Mode, as it seems a LOT more lightweight, and easier to use. And I'm having some serious issues, but only with some games. And it doesn't seem to be specifically with Attract Mode.

I can load some games in all configurations. Straight MAME, MAME64, MAMEUI64, arcade64, both with and without Attract Mode.

Some games I have, I can't get to load using Attract Mode with any of the MAME options, or directly in MAME64, either official or nonag. I can get them to load directly in MAMEUI64 and arcade64 (both nonag), so I'm fairly certain I've got good ROMs.

All the MAME programs are .184, and all ROMs are updated. Computer is Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1. I've already tried running the bits as Administrator, and fiddling with permissions. The games that don't work consistently don't work, and the games that work, consistently work.

I've tried them where I have them (E:, one of my secondary drives), and tried with everything placed on C:, with the same results in both cases.

Anyone got any thoughts? This feels to me almost like the command line doesn't want to work with some things.

hermine.potter

• View Profile
@LynnInDenver
maybe there is a specific .ini or .cfg file of these games (name_of_your_game.ini directly in mame folder where mame64.exe is found; name_of_your_game.cfg under folder_of_your_mame\cfg )

start mame.exe with parameter -verbose ( mame64.exe -verbose )
Configure Options > Video Options > Window Mode : ON
start game > check, what differs between 'working' and 'not working' game
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

LynnInDenver

• View Profile
Already found it; one of my ini files was indeed bad. Thanks!