Author Topic: AM 2.0 RC is very buggy and needs more time in the oven  (Read 7536 times)

robertofresca

• View Profile
AM 2.0 RC is very buggy and needs more time in the oven
« on: March 01, 2016, 06:51:19 AM »
It still crashes when generating a game list from MAME 0.171 every single time. Crashing between 11% and 30% like clockwork.

If I have multiple monitors, Attract Mode seems to display in the middle of both of them.

If I press the left or right arrow when I'm in a game list, AM just crashes to the desktop.

Do not release a new version like this. This feels like alpha software right now--not a release candidate. It's going to hurt you more than it will help you to release like this. I guarantee you that this will leave a bad taste in people's mouths and just send them running back to Hyperspin.

Although on that note, I think that Attract Mode needs to go back to fundamentals a bit instead of adding more fluff features. Let's get real here boys. SWF files fucking suck. It's a BAD thing that Hyperspin used them. One of the things I like about Attract Mode is that it doesn't have to run shitty Flash videos. Just because Hyperspin is popular doesn't mean that you should shit up your program with someone else's bad design decisions. When I say get back to the fundamentals, I'm talking about actual frontend functionality. Just as an example, Street Fighter V and Guilty Gear Xrd don't work in Attract Mode. What good is STUPID Hyperspin theme support when you can't even...launch games? Attract Mode needs to support shitty programs like SF5 and GGXrd that spawn child processes, because as it stands right now, AM thinks you're returning from the game before the game's even done launching.

I'd say prune features that aren't working and focus on the basics. If you can't get multimonitor support working, just drop the feature entirely. It's pointless to add features if they don't work properly anyway. Bullshit features are one of the things that buried Hyperspin. They were so caught up in goofy shit that they neglected the core functionality of a frontend. It's there to launch games. That's it.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:53:42 AM by robertofresca »

Joystickkilla

• View Profile
Re: AM 2.0 RC is very buggy and needs more time in the oven
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 07:04:18 AM »
Oh Lord, the big blue balls frontend guy at it again. Go back to your shit FE. If you are having issues with AM then post the issues, no need to attempt to shit on it
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:41:13 AM by Joystickkilla »

robertofresca

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 07:13:37 AM »
Oh Lord, the big blue balls frontend but at it again. Go back to your shit FE. If you are having issues with AM then post the issues, no need to attempt to shit on it

I DID list the issues. Can someone ban this weirdo or at least makes my posts invisible to him? I don't want to read his stalker trash every time I post something.

Joystickkilla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 07:45:45 AM »
They need to ban you.  Just list the issues you have, no need to banter on about how you think their decisions of adding certain features is stupid or how you think it is a buggy pile of crap as they is easy to tell from your words that is what you are basically saying.

Why are you even on other FE sites when you have your own.  Shouldn't you be over on  your site praising its support of this almighty asio mame crap that is the only thing you spout off about

robertofresca

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 08:04:01 AM »
Maybe you should stop being a psychopath and stop stalking me. Ever think about that?

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 08:04:47 AM »
Roberto-

On windows, I can generate list in GUI and on the cmd without a problem. And, I haven't seen any Linux users post any of these issues with the latest build. If you have windows you can try running with administrator.

Also, keep in mind that attract-2.0 rc2 is more proof of concept with some fixes peppered in. That said, I find it to be pretty stable. You can always roll back to early versions if you don't like some of the newer features.   

Joystickkilla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 08:08:28 AM »
Maybe you should stop being a psychopath and stop stalking me. Ever think about that?

Maybe you should stop stalking other FE forums and trying to talk shit about them in the attempt to get people to try your shitty FE

robertofresca

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 08:15:42 AM »

Maybe you should stop stalking other FE forums and trying to talk shit about them in the attempt to get people to try your shitty FE

The only person talking about my frontend here is you, you stalker weirdo. Get away from me. You're unwanted.

robertofresca

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 08:17:40 AM »
Roberto-

On windows, I can generate list in GUI and on the cmd without a problem. And, I haven't seen any Linux users post any of these issues with the latest build. If you have windows you can try running with administrator.

Also, keep in mind that attract-2.0 rc2 is more proof of concept with some fixes peppered in. That said, I find it to be pretty stable. You can always roll back to early versions if you don't like some of the newer features.   

Are you using MAME 0.171? Because the behavior is different than it is with 0.169. I can generate a list with 0.169, but I can't with 0.171.

I think it's the number of games in MAME's listxml. 0.170 or 0.171 crossed a threshold AM can't handle.

What about the left and right keys crashing the frontend?

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 08:22:31 AM »
@robertofresca

Adding a Hyperspin support will give AM access to Hyperspin themes. It's just that simple!

Personally - I don't like Hyperspin themes, but there are a lot of people that really like it.
So why they can't just use Hyperspin - you may ask. The answer is also simple - because they are on Linux or Mac.

If you think that it is not important feature - try to release a good AM theme by yourself. Your great theme will be a living proof that Hyperspin theme support is not needed, because we can have something much better.

---

Also - no one forces you to use 2.0.
Version 1.6.2 is perfectly stable for me (but I don't play SF 5). BTW have you filled a bug report regarding that SF problem?

---

AM development is practically a one-man-operation (with some help from other guys) - and this is simply mindblowing.
So if Raygun is willing to release (even buggy or "feels like alpha") version 2.0 - so be it.
At least the community can help him with bug tracking and testing.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 09:17:37 AM »
Are you using MAME 0.171? Because the behavior is different than it is with 0.169. I can generate a list with 0.169, but I can't with 0.171.

I think it's the number of games in MAME's listxml. 0.170 or 0.171 crossed a threshold AM can't handle.

What about the left and right keys crashing the frontend?
Modify message

I had to edit my post. For some reason, I thought you were talking about older versions of MAME  like 0.71 - my bad...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:42:02 PM by omegaman »