Author Topic: attract mode suddenly launching mess emulation in backround/ need to click mouse  (Read 3296 times)

Aldub516

• View Profile
Hey all.. it seems no matter what my system never stays completely stable. Recently, it seems out of no where ive encountered a new problem. In attractmode i run mame for arcade games, and mess for basically everything else. Recently when i went to play a home console game,i went to launch it, but nothing loads. When i click my mouse button everything loads up.. So it seems that now suddenly mess is launching in the backround? and i need to either click a mouse or ctrl tab over. Now ive come to notice after the first time i have to click to load, after that, the system loads fine, but not other systems on mess
For example, if I select Nintendo from my main menu, then go to load a game, everything freezes in attract mode until I click my mouse button or control tab over then the game loads are perfectly. If I escape out of the game and then go to load another game it will load up fine. But if I back out and go to Sega Genesis, this Behavior repeats itself. Why is the window not launching on top of attractmode the first time but everytime after. Furthermore the mouse click confuses me because how does the system know I'm clicking the window behind attractmode anyway. Any suggestion for why this started happening? I re copied my whole hdd over and started fresh and its still doing it. Ive included my .cfg file. I cant begin where to try .. video settings? windowed settings? it threw a major wrench in my machine. thanks for any feedback. Im using the rocket launcher plug in to launch games, so im not sure if thats where i should be looking. I just dont understand why this behavior would just start doing this.One day i dream of a arcade setup for myself that just..works always lol. but i guess thats the nature of the hobby
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:03:04 PM by Aldub516 »

Aldub516

• View Profile
I use rocketlauncher to launch emulators. It is launching fine with hyperspin so its not that. The weird thing is that attractmode doesn't even necessarily start loading the game in the background. When I select the game that launches with mess, the only thing that happens is the command line window pops up in the background but it doesn't actually even load the game until I click the mouse or control tab once. This is such an odd behavior for no reason. I dont want to go back to HS :(

Aldub516

• View Profile
Hoping some fresh eyes stumble upon this :( I love attract mode, but it seems I have to go back to hyperspin until I can fix this issue. I just don't get why it started happening out of nowhere.i cant launch any mess emulators without losing focus on the first game launch

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Things you can try:
Change attract window mode in config menu
Change resolution of attract/mame/desktop all the same

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The file you have posted shows version 2.2.1 which isn't the latest version of AM. Backing up AM and upgrading to 2.3 might be the first thing to try. AM 2.3 now offers a non-console version that might help. There are many other reasons/features/updates to move to 2.3.

Are you using the AM Plugin for RL? What happens if you launch the mess games without RL (this will help pin point the problem)? You use the term "MESS" which has been part of MAME for a while, are you using an old version?

Post your emulator.cfg files for your working mame and broken mess so we can see them.