Author Topic: How can I copy my displays from PC to Mac?  (Read 3932 times)

zaphodava

• View Profile
How can I copy my displays from PC to Mac?
« on: December 02, 2016, 09:37:08 PM »
I'm looking for a way to duplicate my display and filter setup from the PC version to the Mac version, but I can't locate the corresponding file on the OS X side. Can that be done? Thanks.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How can I copy my displays from PC to Mac?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 10:31:32 AM »
I'm looking for a way to duplicate my display and filter setup from the PC version to the Mac version, but I can't locate the corresponding file on the OS X side. Can that be done? Thanks.

Config files on the Mac are located in ~/.attract if I remember correctly.

zaphodava

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 12:42:34 PM »
I found that shortly after I posted, thanks. I think I can get it to do what I want.

The next thing I'm messing with is trying to make both the OSX version of MAME and Attract Mode portable, so that it can all run out of a single folder or flash drive. If anyone has tips on the best way to accomplish this, I'd appreciate it.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 07:58:33 PM »
I found that shortly after I posted, thanks. I think I can get it to do what I want.

The next thing I'm messing with is trying to make both the OSX version of MAME and Attract Mode portable, so that it can all run out of a single folder or flash drive. If anyone has tips on the best way to accomplish this, I'd appreciate it.

Try adding and modifying files to the .app package. Mac apps are already portable.

zaphodava

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 08:53:46 PM »
That would work if all I wanted was Mac portable. I've got multiple versions of MAME, and multiple attract modes already working for PC, and I want to add Mac compatibility. Pretty sure it's feasible, Macs support indirect file references. It will take moving the config folder, running the program with a script that allows command line options that tell it to point to the local folder.

I don't really need it, but at this point I'm just stubborn.

estefan3112

• View Profile
    • Retrogaming on my Mac
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 02:28:51 AM »
Hi, I configured Attract Mode on my Mac to a running MAME system, thus I left my MAME directories completely unchanged - here I explained it:

https://mameonmacs.blogspot.co.at/2017/01/attract-mode-for-mame-under-osx.html

If you look to Step 7, this is where the configuration to MAME happens. I never tested an external hard drive, but with the appropriate paths set, it should work. Good luck!