Author Topic: How to set up attract mode on a PC step by step  (Read 232946 times)

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How to set up attract mode step by step
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2017, 07:29:01 PM »
Hi I just compiled attract mode on my pi 3 running the latest version of retropie. Install worked and I was able to enter attract mode but am having difficulty with my emulator configurations.

They all appear to be correct and I put them in /home/pi/attract/config/emulators.

I deleted the default ones that were in that folder and placed the ones I have there. Rebooted the system and they do not show up in the emulator list. I have attached a few of my config files each is essentially the same just made the changes per system. Would really appreciate the help. Thank you  :)

Those files need to go in the /home/pi/.attract/emulators folder.

Chef_Fluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2017, 08:11:51 PM »
Hi I just compiled attract mode on my pi 3 running the latest version of retropie. Install worked and I was able to enter attract mode but am having difficulty with my emulator configurations.

They all appear to be correct and I put them in /home/pi/attract/config/emulators.

I deleted the default ones that were in that folder and placed the ones I have there. Rebooted the system and they do not show up in the emulator list. I have attached a few of my config files each is essentially the same just made the changes per system. Would really appreciate the help. Thank you  :)

Those files need to go in the /home/pi/.attract/emulators folder.

Thank you very much. Appreciate the help.

AttractiveRuss

• View Profile
Re: How to set up attract mode on a PC step by step
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 01:21:56 PM »
Sorry I know I'm being very stupid but how do you install attractmode on Linux? I using Lubuntu and I'm a novice with Linux.

I did this

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:daveg/attract
sudo apt-get update

And....? Where is Attractmode? :-[

Cheers Russell

nevincho

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2017, 08:31:36 AM »
It would be great someone with knowledge on the subject to make guide for installation and settings under Linux OS, Ubuntu and etc.

hassenpheffer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2017, 01:41:55 PM »
Hello all Emu folk!

Love Attract Mode for MAMEUI64.

I've got almost everything running properly but there are a few issues I'm having thus far:

1. After titles under the letter Z there are entries to games that are listed under their ROM names. I ran the compiler and checked the path to the MAME exe and still no changes.

2. There are titles of some games that I don't even have in the directory that are showing up and some that are in the directory that aren't showing up.

3. I enabled search titles by key and it didn't work. I hit a letter and nothing works.

4. Games that are marked as "non-working" by MAME. How can I filter these out?

I went through all the options and couldn't find anything to resolve the above issues.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:45:48 PM by hassenpheffer »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »
It would be great someone with knowledge on the subject to make guide for installation and settings under Linux OS, Ubuntu and etc.

I run linux/ubuntu that is where I was coming from..are you needing help?
People want life easy..then complain about it

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2017, 12:28:00 PM »
I've got almost everything running properly but there are a few issues I'm having thus far:
1. After titles under the letter Z there are entries to games that are listed under their ROM names. I ran the compiler and checked the path to the MAME exe and still no changes.

As for those entries They can be edited by hand. Open your attract romlist for that system (mame/arcade ect.) go to the bottom of the list. Change the information in the Title column. Easiest way (I think) is to open in in a spreadsheet program. When you are done make sure to save it as a cvs text file (the format the list is in).

2. There are titles of some games that I don't even have in the directory that are showing up and some that are in the directory that aren't showing up.

Start a new thread..a picture would help me here..that's beyond weird.

3. I enabled search titles by key and it didn't work. I hit a letter and nothing works.

4. Games that are marked as "non-working" by MAME. How can I filter these out?

I went through all the options and couldn't find anything to resolve the above issues.

Filters are a PITA for me. I would suggest that you use rom lister to filter all that out. You can create a batch file and delete / MOVE the roms or you can just buld a list ans use it. You can build a list totally by hand. I know because I have done it..but that takes A LOT of work! ;)

hassenpheffer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2017, 05:08:58 PM »
Thanks! I edited the list and that worked.

As for the games showing up when the shouldnt and vice-versa: Thatll take some time to compile.  I'll let you know when it's ready.

nevincho

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2017, 05:07:00 AM »

Yes. I have Ubuntu 14.04. Installing AM without problems and mame, but the emulator does not create a rom list and does not start the games

Mastermark

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2017, 11:29:25 AM »
Ignore me. Realised that I had downloaded the windows version of the framework instead of Mac (doh!). All up and running now :)
Can you Explain a little more as i got the same probs no games are launching on my mac in Attract

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2017, 04:30:26 PM »

I did this awhile back. Should still be good though...
http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=321.0

Yes. I have Ubuntu 14.04. Installing AM without problems and mame, but the emulator does not create a rom list and does not start the games

as for that..you need to make sure your mame.ini file is set up correctly or you get nowhere. That is to say:

Type:

Code: [Select]
mame -cc
to create a mame.ini file. Under rom path(s) add your rom path to the line..or you can delete everything there and then add your line.
An example path would be:

/home/(username)/.mame/roms
Replace (username) with your actual user name (look at a terminal window if you don't know. It will say "username@pcname" (ex. bob@computer:~$)

and yes you need the dot before the mame (.mame). The dot makes this makes it a "hidden folder". you can delete the dot if youwish...but be safe and leave it. To see hidden folders using a gui program..normally Ctrl+H will show them. In a terminal you can type ls -a to see them from there.

Read the write up first please..but if you have other questions ask and I will help.

Understand though. If you do not have mame set up correctly first..then it is an emulator problem NOT Attract mode. Questions for emulators goe to the emulators thread. Post there if you have further problems

NOTE: The above WILL NOT work on a raspberry pi using a retro pie image. Thus because the image is not set set up correctly..well rather the way the emulator wants it to be. All arcade games use advance mame on the retro pie image as default...(I think).
The executable that starts the emulator WILL NOT generate a list. You MUST change that to where the emulator is. (my pi is being used as something else at the moment.someone send me the path so I can post it here please) Then from there you change the info scraper to "listxml". Now you can generate a correct list. Once the list is generated you need to change the executable back to the original! then it will run as it should.

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2018, 07:28:56 AM »
new link for controls.ini https://ledblinky.net/Download.htm

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2018, 07:43:07 AM »
Can someone help me with this error ?

*** Generating Collection/Rom List: mame
 - Found 11025 files.
 - Obtaining -listxml info...    Error executing command: 'mame -listxml'

! No XML output found, command: mame -listxml
 - Skipping import_extras file: d:\mame\mame.xml
[Import d:\mame\roms\nplayers.ini] - found info for 10962 entries.
[Import d:mame\roms\catver.ini] - found info for 0 entries.
 * Unsupported import_extras file: d:mame\roms\controls.ini
 - Removing any duplicate entries...
 + Writing 11025 entries to: D:\AM\romlists/mame.txt
Writing emulator config to: D:\AM\emulators/mame.cfg
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 07:49:28 AM by ryuuji »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2018, 09:19:11 AM »
Can someone help me with this error ?

*** Generating Collection/Rom List: mame
 - Found 11025 files.
 - Obtaining -listxml info...    Error executing command: 'mame -listxml'

- Skipping import_extras file: d:\mame\mame.xml
[Import d:\mame\roms\nplayers.ini] - found info for 10962 entries.
[Import d:mame\roms\catver.ini] - found info for 0 entries.
 * Unsupported import_extras file: d:mame\roms\controls.ini
 - Removing any duplicate entries...
 + Writing 11025 entries to: D:\AM\romlists/mame.txt
Writing emulator config to: D:\AM\emulators/mame.cfg

Controls.ini hasn't been supported/worked for a long time. There is no need for the file since the information is in the mame -listxml.

Nplayers.ini works but is obsolete. This info is also in mame -listxml.

Catver.ini is needed but you are missing a "\" after "D:" in your mame.cfg emulator file.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:22:44 AM by progets »

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2018, 09:23:23 AM »
That is exactly what does not work for me as u can see in the error above