Author Topic: WIP Layouts with Speaking voice & new random section  (Read 8580 times)

tipoto

• View Profile
WIP Layouts with Speaking voice & new random section
« on: January 05, 2017, 01:22:32 AM »
Here is a first video showing my work in progress layouts and features on my system
I use an Odroid XU4 with OGST image (Odroid GameStation Turbo - created by meveric)
Here is what you can see in this video :
- 1 arcade layout
- 1 specific Neo-Geo layout (I don't know if I will keep this one eventually)
- 1 console layout
- My own speaking voice feature
- My own random section (AM has a random tool already, but I wanted more options)

A lot of things are missing, but here are the main ones:
- System menu layout
- Random section layout (for the first screen)
- I want to replace some text info by icons in the arcade and console layouts
- Add more moments where the voice can give information (system menu and button info)

VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrogqRYk1qI

calle81

• View Profile
Re: WIP Layouts with Speaking voice & new random section
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 04:18:48 AM »
Looks really cool! Cant wait to try it out on the Pi3 if you will share.

Omamez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 02:04:00 PM »
it is cool but can also become annoying if you are scrolling for a little while

tipoto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 03:01:35 PM »
yes you're right, it can become annoying in some cases I guess, I will add an option to turn it On/Off, it's very simple to do ;)
I will share these layouts once they are all done. The only problem is that they wont be very flexible since I originally wrote them for my system, so I didn't bother taking into account any other resolutions than mine, which is 16/9 screen in 1080P.

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 07:17:12 PM »
a bit for me with the voice,, but is great to see it could be done..good job
changing the voice would be a + maybe Australian sheila? mmm
help a friend....

calle81

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 03:32:36 PM »
How do you make the game info fly in like that? Would be awesome if you could share that code snippet.  :)

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 05:19:03 PM »
Really nice! Love the animations and the random select screen is really cool!

tipoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:53:56 PM »
Really nice! Love the animations and the random select screen is really cool!
Thank you!
For all my animations I used an ugly system I created long time ago to replace the animation module that was causing issues in my layouts at the time!

How do you make the game info fly in like that? Would be awesome if you could share that code snippet.  :)
The animations for the game info use the system I was mentioning above.

It's going to take too long for me right now to prepare a clean code that can be copy/paste in your layout, but I attached my Neo-Geo layout, which I shouldn't push any longer since I will replace it by my arcade layout eventually. You can take a look at the code and see if there is anything you'd like to use.

Like I said earlier, I wasn't planning to share my work originally, so my code is what it is and my layouts are not really flexible, they are done for full HD monitors (1920*1080) and if someone wants to change that, he will have to do some work ;).

calle81

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 03:28:39 AM »
Cool! Thanks for the share :)

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 04:10:56 PM »
Thank you!
For all my animations I used an ugly system I created long time ago to replace the animation module that was causing issues in my layouts at the time!

Well I'd certainly like to know the issues that the animation module was causing since I wrote it :) I do have an unfinished rewrite (animate2) that provides a lot more control.. perhaps your system has some good ideas and we could work on it together!

tipoto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 05:10:55 PM »
I am registered in this forum since 2015 and I saw all the great work you did and share...Thank you for that :)

The problem I had with your module was at the time I was still working with a RPI2, about 1 and half years ago (when AM wasn't really popular to the RPI users yet). Every-time animate.nut was imported in my layouts, everything was extremely slow, unusable, it's why I had to find a trick to be able to animate, but if you look at my code, you will probably laugh :). My animation curves are hard coded in arrays and I have to use the timer / callback and plenty of variables in order to make this work.  ;D

But now that I don't have this problem anymore and now that I'm starting my system menu layout, I will try to use your module instead, I'm sure it's going to be way easier (I already animated with your module on a PC with Windows and I liked it).

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 04:44:05 PM »
Don't knock your code, it looks great so you did something right! I was messing around, but actually do want the feedback if it wasn't working for you! I do have a RPI and RPI2 but I haven't been able to do much testing using them for AM. Anything you were able to do to help it run better could help me improve things in the new version I'm working on.