Author Topic: Laggy video, any suggestions?  (Read 1658 times)

Mark Norville

• View Profile
Laggy video, any suggestions?
« on: January 14, 2022, 02:53:53 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I am running AM on a middle of the road PC I5-3570K @3.40ghz 8 gigs of ram and using a 780 ti graphics card, running windows 10.

If I have more than one snap playing at once, the playback becomes very laggy to say the least.

I went into General > Video Decoder and I have software & DXVA2 both of which give the same results.

Is this just a bug with the system that really it should only play one video, or is there a way around it?

Thanks for any help

I have just had a look at filter grid and put two snaps in a horizontal position, and that seems excellent. The first selected video plays with audio, while the second is muted. I never noticed any slow down while testing on this, so I might try editing this layout and see what happens.

Regards

Mark
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 04:07:30 AM by Mark Norville »
Well I am back a new PC I7 4790K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Windows 10. Hopefully will get delivered at weekend.

Computer Specs : I7 3770K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Win 10
HD Specs : 1 x 1 TB SSD + 4 x 8 TB = 33 TB (fullish)
First system : ZX81 (Yes I am an old fart)
PS Network : MarkNorvile
Xbox : Mark Norville

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Laggy video, any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 07:44:34 PM »
it could be that you are being throttled due to heat from the cpu being hit that hard...although you did say you have a gpu installed if AM takes advantage of that I have no idea...What is the resolution of your videos? kinda difficult to run 1080p (or whatever) videos at four eight or sixteen at a time...

and do they need to be hi-rez for a small preview screen? After all most of these games didn't even run higher than 800x600 Although for the video screensaver maybe I would understand you want them to look good..but you could lower the monitor resolution as well so they don't looked stretched and stuff *shrugs*

try that and see if that helps...

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 07:03:23 PM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it

Mark Norville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 04:45:00 AM »
it could be that you are being throttled due to heat from the cpu being hit that hard...although you did say you have a gpu installed if AM takes advantage of that I have no idea...What is the resolution of your videos? kinda difficult to run 1080p (or whatever) videos at four eight or sixteen at a time...

and do they need to be hi-rez for a small preview screen? After all most of these games didn't even run higher than 800x600 Although for the video screensaver maybe I would understand you want them to look good..but you could lower the monitor resolution as well so they don't looked stretched and stuff *shrugs*

try that and see if that helps...

It is reasonably software based the cause of the problem, yeah my hardware is not that young any more, but still running pretty fine. I am an IT tech so I build all my own etc.

You really need to use the module Conveyor, to increase the speed slightly even though that is still not 100% perfect, it was running great yesterday, but I have added extra code on top of that, and it seems to stutter a bit, so that might be down to me, I noticed that I had shut downs when I was using game information in the skin, so that might need to be put at the top of the code and load into array's and not on the fly reading.

However I just checked and no sign of any video codecs, so they might be hardware encoded, it would have been fantastic to have been able to use your own.

I can game on RPCS3 (PS3 emu) at 4K resolution for some games with no problems, but sadly no updates to AM since 2020 I think it was, hopefully the developer has not given up, as he has a great front end here (so far from my testing)

Regards

Mark
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 11:15:01 AM by Mark Norville »
Well I am back a new PC I7 4790K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Windows 10. Hopefully will get delivered at weekend.

Computer Specs : I7 3770K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Win 10
HD Specs : 1 x 1 TB SSD + 4 x 8 TB = 33 TB (fullish)
First system : ZX81 (Yes I am an old fart)
PS Network : MarkNorvile
Xbox : Mark Norville

onnied

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 08:15:19 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am running AM on a middle of the road PC I5-3570K @3.40ghz 8 gigs of ram and using a 780 ti graphics card, running windows 10.

If I have more than one snap playing at once, the playback becomes very laggy to say the least.

I went into General > Video Decoder and I have software & DXVA2 both of which give the same results.

Is this just a bug with the system that really it should only play one video, or is there a way around it?

Thanks for any help

I have just had a look at filter grid and put two snaps in a horizontal position, and that seems excellent. The first selected video plays with audio, while the second is muted. I never noticed any slow down while testing on this, so I might try editing this layout and see what happens.

Regards

Mark

following this