Author Topic: Proposal for new catagory thread here  (Read 5343 times)

akafox

• View Profile
Proposal for new catagory thread here
« on: January 02, 2017, 10:41:09 AM »
Let's start a new thread for rasp pi problems that way we can separate them from the pc problems. ..That is unless the pi is going to take over the world  ;)

and it needs to be part of the "main" group..it does pertain to attract mode problems after all...

Good idea or no??
People want life easy..then complain about it

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
Re: Proposal for new catagory thread here
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »
I agree.

Omamez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 01:55:10 PM »
I also think its good idea, although it's not heavy traffic posting site it segregates it from pc issues and vice vera

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 11:26:14 PM »
I see where you're coming from but at the end of the day, Attract-Mode runs the same on all platforms. Truly "General" questions apply to all platforms.

I personally think that the large increase of Pi questions on the forum are due to 3rd party images and RetroPie adding it to their "experimental" menu. In both cases you have people that don't understand AM and don't search for their own answer (since 99% of them have been answered already on the forum).

A "Pi FAQ" topic would help for this but in my experience, on forums most people don't bother to read them. I don't understand why but it usually happens. 95% of the posts for the Pi in the past month could be answered with less than 10 items in a FAQ.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 11:34:46 PM by progets »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 10:08:05 AM »
well it's not so much that they are the same..and you are right..they are...except well for the retropie image.

I have emulation station and retroarch on my computer but it's edited totally different than the retropie image. That is to say arg lines and stuff...even the attractmode emulator cfg are not the same compared to a pc in most cases... and let's not forget to mention the hardware.

I guess that is all I I mean. Either way it works I'm not complaining. But it makes it easier and faster to have an idea if it's a pi or a pc
before hand when questions come up..that's all.

case in point..this question here http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1233.0 I can only guess by the context the person means for the pi..where the first question might be..is it for a pi? then they have to reply..then get an answer..where as if it was in a "pi thread" they would get here is how you do it..
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:13:03 AM by akafox »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 11:55:20 PM »
If you think about it most aspects are the same: layout, controls, artwork, etc. The only real difference across platforms are the emulator.cfg files. This is due to the naming conventions but it should still be the same in Linux, Raspbian, OSX, etc. and really only Windows is pretty different in this area.

If you isolate the Pi questions then users of other OSs might not see solutions to their problems when they don't relate to the emulators.cfg. When people post a question or problem they need to list the OS they are using otherwise they can't expect to get a good answer.

For what it's worth, people that build their Pi themselves understand how things work, at least to some extent. When people use 3rd party images, they have no clue. I'm not adverse to helping them but they should really ask the creator of their image for help. A prime example would be the Floob images that are on this site. They show a few bugs but certainly not all of them. The bugs have never been updated and they cause 90% of the questions.

At the end of the day, people need to update their OS and AM before asking questions. That's IT 101.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 06:18:00 PM »
Well I agree with you totally...and people should do that more..(I hate asking for help myself...)

but again..how many people really understand what they are doing?
how many people read the manual..or the eula for that matter

I'm thinking that a lot of people here might be getting this rasp pi thing because they see it on a youtube video or something..they say hey that's cool..and if he / she can do it I can too! and so they do..and find out it is MUCH harder than it looks...

and two digging through a forum can be difficult sometimes...it's a lot of information. I posted something on the retropie fourms a week ago..never an answer (not even a your dumb) 45 people looked at it (so the page says) but I have to go 5 pages deep to find it.

a lot of people are just wanting to get it to work and are frustrated that they can't..and not everybody feels (or wants) a sense of accomplishment that they figured it out on their own..

it was just an idea...if everyone thinks it's no big deal then leave it be  :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:58:13 AM by akafox »

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 12:38:26 PM »
I have to revisit my point of view. I've read this thread (and "tutorial" thread) - and I was on the same page as progets "Pi problems (and solutions) are common for all platforms"

But there is a flood of post like this "I've downloaded IMAGE ZZZ and YYY function not works."
like this one - http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1351.0;topicseen#msg9697

And those post are NEVER addressed by the image creator - or even this particular image users.
And all that OP gets - usually just wild guesses and "update AM" advices.

I think we have to try to tame it somehow. Maybe RPi subforum IS a good idea. I really can't remember RPi specific post that was NOT about not working image. And GENERAL is not a good place for RPI SPECIFIC posts.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 03:21:32 PM »
I'm hoping that it will stop a lot of this when I get my how-to posted. Most people are trying to use the set up for the PC that will only work partially with the pi. (and then I'm hoping that someone will make a video (the vids on youtube are outdated now)

Other things that we need to point out (and I did in the write up) that we don't maintain retropie, retroarch or emulationstation. ALOT of questions that are asked here we can't answer because it has nothing to do with AM. Thing is They got if from here or see the name and think that is where you go. I get it. You want help..but we can't help.

The images are a BIG problem with that.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:54:39 AM by akafox »