Author Topic: retroarch genssis-gx core 4-player  (Read 9852 times)

akafox

• View Profile
retroarch genssis-gx core 4-player
« on: January 11, 2017, 07:11:38 PM »
Yeah ok so I'm bending one of my own rules here...but to be fair I DID ask on the fourm..

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/6994/problem-with-4-player-megadrive-genesis-with-lr-genesis-plus-gx
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/4124/4-player-on-sega-genesis-mega-drive-not-working

however you'll notice not one reply..yeah I could wait..but i'm being impatient

I have tried looking this up for a month now..fond many -old- posts no solution that was presented worked at all..(either that or I am missing something)

most posts say "go to options -> controls -> player 2 and change to 3 button +teamplay setting"

well I go there and the options I get are "retropad" and "none"...that's it...no 3 button teamplay

so..question is..has it been removed or am I missing something?

I know how to enable "multitap" for SNES, PSX..and the NES seems to be "automatic" when using the nestopia core..I haven't tried N64 yet...

so if any of you have some fox kibble for me to nibble on and gets this working that would be great!

-cheers!
People want life easy..then complain about it

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: retroarch genssis-gx core 4-player
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:58:58 PM »
First, I want to make sure you are using genesis_plus_gx since picodrive is the default retroarch core in the RetroPie image. Second, I can confirm that the RetroPie base genesis_plus_gx core is missing the option that you're looking for. Third, if you update the retropie script and install genesis_plus_gx from source (not binary) you will be able to see and use the "+ 4-WayPlay" option.

Let me know when you getting it working so I can come over and play now that you have extra gamepads to use.  ;)

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 08:31:45 AM »
WOW! that did it! 

it didn't work the first time..not sure why but I got it the second time :)

you'd think they would have that in the main images "out of the box" like all the others...I never thought about that. The posts I was reading were 2 years old. I figured it would be "standard" in the newest image.

Yes you are welcome to come over but...you have to use my usb megadrive controller..I just got it..it needs to be tested you know :)
(got a nes pad too)

I went to the forum and asked this never even got a reply..I come here and get a reply AND a solution in a few hours..that's why I love AM and this forum!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:33:54 AM by akafox »

stoney66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 04:21:48 PM »
hey akafox when you said it didn't work the first time did you have to do the install again or just relaunch?

I am having this issue when I enter the rui, player3 and 4 only option is Retropad. If I make p1/p2 3 button with 4way I get the 4 players in the game however player1 and 3 use the same controls :(

I am trying to make P1 and P2 use the current controls which are from the mini-pac board (keyboard) and P3 and P4 from USB analog joysticks ( PowerA MINI PROEX). I have the buttons already mapped correctly in retroarch.cfg for p1/p2 and they work fine.

I removed the megadrive install, rebooted then installed from source and rebooted. I still only have the Retropad options for P3/P4.

The rgui shows 1.6.0 - Genesis Plus GX v1.7.4 if that means anything to anyone ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:24:02 PM by stoney66 »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 03:42:04 PM »
ok I'm a little confused...

but...

ok you will ALWAYS have retropad for controllers three and four. The only thing you need to change is the settings for controller one or two so from what I read your setup is working properly and your version is the "newest".

As for your games here is what I do..I set the controllers, then I save the changes, drop the game and reload the game to see if it works properly. The problem is with the Megadrive/Genesis there were several ways that you had four players depending on the game. So if the teamplayer setting doesn't work then I try the 4-way setting. And if nether works you can change the button settings 3/6 if need be (but I haven't run into that problem yet).

more information here:

Team Player http://www.segaretro.org/Team_Player
4 Way Play http://www.segaretro.org/4_Way_Play

stoney66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 03:50:42 PM »
ah ok thanks, I read somewhere else where they stated p3 & p4  had other options than RetroPad and that threw me down the wrong rabbit hole. It works when I make p1 and p2 to 3 button + 4way I just need to map my controls properly it seems.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 09:25:32 PM »
Yeah...

I am in the process of building my lists by hand. The gamesdb.net dose not fill in all the information. It also does not have every game that I may have. I am doing that to filter easier. After that i plan on creating my controller configs for each game. Then BACKING IT UP lol

I am trying to do that to make it easy to use later on...I hope!