Author Topic: Modern themes with retro feel  (Read 66098 times)

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Modern themes with retro feel
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 01:31:08 PM »
And SNES, working on a unified theme.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 10:38:07 AM »
I am not a graphics wizard but I put a label or two in the basic layout that came with your spinwheel. Hope you don't mind. Great work by the way love the theme! The other backgrounds (with the system pics) are awesome! Good work man! HS is just too much eye candy I think..and mala was too plain. Attract mode is in the middle and that is good for us who have computers that are not i5s and i7s quad cores with 16GB ram. (Plus I love penguins.)
People want life easy..then complain about it

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 07:00:07 AM »
Looks great man, and I agree with you about HS. I find myself asking the question "is this too much"? on all my layouts. And, it seems that I am never quite happy, LOL.  The hardest thing for me is trying to balance simplicity with something that looks good which is why I keep experimenting with gimp. On that note, I've created some more layouts also based on the basic layout like you did. Here is what I've come up with so far, but I am still kind of experimenting. The ultimate goal is to come with an unified theme. I am somewhat new to gimp so its been a learning process. More or less these are concepts like most of the stuff I've done. Left me know what you think because its good to have a different perspective. 

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 07:01:38 AM »
Another tron...

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 07:02:58 AM »
Moon patrol without glow...

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 07:09:33 AM »
Tron with glow effect.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 11:00:50 AM »
I took your basic mod and added some console backgrounds with 3d shadow effect. I probably should center the logos like you did.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 11:03:23 AM »
NES version. I'm thinking about creating all the popular consoles if there is enough interest.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 10:12:31 PM »
Where is the "I'm not worthy" smiley at..wow those are awesome man!  ;D Thanks for sharing your work. I'm more of a code monkey not a graphics artist lol I started doing my own "media pack" I have made 664 video snaps and i am going to make "custom marquees" because I hate the look of a blank marquee  :P I started making my own wheel art for mame..but I have no hair left..so I'll have to wait a bit. I do want to share some. Don't get me wrong I know it is a lot of hard work to do all that...but as for hyper spin kinda sucks to show all that and then you get "nothing" (batteries not included!) and it would be a BIG download! I have read that emu movies snaps suck but I don't know anything about that..never seen one. Here is some wheel art I made. Question about video snaps..I know people have LCD or LED monitors..but do you really want them HD..I mean come on Pac-Man looks even worse in HD lol As for "insterst" in your work..yes it is work but do you love doing it? if others use it great..if not..it's the thrill of making it..either way you win. (I'll download everyone of them! lol) I used a theme when I was using Mamewah..just because they looked good and well he did EVERY system so it made my cab look nice. People like that more than anything.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:16:06 PM by akafox »

crawlingpeter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 07:42:27 AM »
This is really awesome! I love the hyperspin-style scrolling. I have two questions.

1. Would it be possible to just upload your wheel art background? Mine would definitely look better if they were a little more readable.

2. What do you guys do for games that don't have any wheel art at all? Right now, there is just a black slot and it looks pretty goofy.

Thanks!

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 10:21:07 AM »
Crawlingpeter:

Wheel art background? Help me there please. I'm guessing not the system (emulator) background but the wheel art itself. Most of the wheel art I do has a transparent background..that way it can be used with any theme.and because it looks better in the screen saver :P it will be a long while before I get all my wheel art done.  :( So mine just stay blank.

And as for wheel art..you can join hyper spin (and donate cash) and download the wheel pack for mame if you want. Others there have some wheel art free for other systems (look for Kustom wheel art)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:42:44 AM by akafox »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 10:33:44 AM »
Hey omegaman...have you checked out any mamewah themes? Emuchrist did a pack for like almost every system and it was simple and nice. http://wahki.mameau.com/index.php?title=Cpviewer_color Thinking of doing something like that? A running theme..that would be nice. But that wheel art gives it that "pop" it needs but doesn't over do it. The theme you are doing is awesome. Any artwork you need/want to make more backgrounds let me know I'll see what I can find for you. Oh and about the always tweaking and asking yourself is this too much (or like I do.."is it perfect yet") ...every true artist does that...you think the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel took so long because he was on his back? No it was because he was worried someone was going to climb up there and look so he took his time to do it right ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 03:08:05 PM by akafox »

crawlingpeter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 10:55:05 AM »
Oops! Sorry for being vague. For the wheel art background, I was looking for something like you can see in this image: http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=110.0;attach=64;image
Just the consistent oval background behind each individual wheel art piece!

And yes, I actually am a platinum HyperSpin member and have all the wheel art they offer... However, HyperSync/HyperBase does not have a complete collection of wheel art so every once in a while, I'll scroll across a game with no wheel art at all. I was wondering what you guys do in that case. Just leave it blank and look for the title of the game elsewhere on the screen?

Thanks!

Crawlingpeter:

Wheel art background? Help me there please. I'm guessing not the system (emulator) background but the wheel art itself. Most of the wheel art I do has a transparent background..that way it can be used with any theme.and because it looks better in the screen saver :P it will be a long while before I get all my wheel art done.  :( So mine just stay blank.

And as for wheel art..you can join hyper spin (and donate cash) and download the wheel pack for mame if you want. Others there have some wheel art free for other systems (look for Kustom wheel art)

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 03:06:57 PM »
Ahh I see I tried using that AutoKustom wheel thing to make my wheels but i couldn't figure it out. Seemed like to me that all it did was make the background oval...where is the name of the game at?  ??? I mean if you have to grab it yourself and then plaster it on the back ground anyway what's the point? Don't get me wrong I have some that i use for my other systems but just seemed pointless to me. What i need was something that will rip the words of of whatever artwork I throw at it and batch it. I put a sample of my work on this thread somewhere..check it out if you like that is what it is there for. Like i said though it will be a long while till I am done.

crawlingpeter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 05:36:03 AM »
Ohh so you used that AutoKustom wheel thinger and think that's how omegaman got his art with the oval background stuff too? I gotcha. Your samples did look cool but yea, that will be a looooong process.  :P

Ahh I see I tried using that AutoKustom wheel thing to make my wheels but i couldn't figure it out. Seemed like to me that all it did was make the background oval...where is the name of the game at?  ??? I mean if you have to grab it yourself and then plaster it on the back ground anyway what's the point? Don't get me wrong I have some that i use for my other systems but just seemed pointless to me. What i need was something that will rip the words of of whatever artwork I throw at it and batch it. I put a sample of my work on this thread somewhere..check it out if you like that is what it is there for. Like i said though it will be a long while till I am done.